Search results

1. Paul B

Collecting Amphipods in the Long Island Sound

You can't see it well in the video but after I lift a rock, I just rub my hand over the bottom of the rock, and the amphipods stick to my hand. When I want a lot more amphipods, I bring a larger bucket and swirl the rocks in the bucket. That way I get them all. These things make great...
  2. Paul B

Someone asked me the Benefit of a Reverse Undergravel Filter

Someone asked me how a reverse Undergravel filter works and what is the advantage of it. In the beginning, when we all kept bait, I mean fresh water fish we all ran undergravel filters. That was the only way to go and in fresh water they work perfectly. When salt water started for home tanks...
  3. Paul B

What a Great Country America is

What a Great Country America is. This week the Blue Angels flew over parts of New York as well as other WW2 fighter planes "Smoke Writing" a Thank You to hospital workers. A large sign is outside our hospital that reads "Hero's Work Here" and there was a tractor parade with signs in front of...
  4. Paul B

If you need to Fresh Water Dip

If you really need to freshwater dip you need to make sure the temp and pH of the fresh water is the same and if the fish sinks to the bottom, or tries to jump out it needs to be removed fast. Fresh water kills flukes but it also kills tangs, just slower. It broke my heart but I had to fresh...
  5. Paul B

Lets Not Be Snowflakes

Lets not be Snowflakes. Our Fathers or in most of your cases Grand Fathers got drafted and had to go to war. Many of them were away for 6 years making little pay and living in horrible conditions. We will get through this if we do a few common sense things. I certainly don't want to see...
  6. Paul B

I almost saved a Supermodel today

It's pretty warm here today so I decide to get some exercise and take a walk to the beach behind my house. It's about 170 steps almost straight down and being it's kind of still winter, I have not been doing this much yet. In the summer I try to do it almost every day. So I figure I will go...
  7. Paul B

Aquascaping for fish health

As I sit here self quarantining myself I have a lot of time to look at and ponder my tank. As I study it from the front and the back which I just scraped clean just to do something I noticed something that we rarely speak about. We normally make our aquascape to look like something pleasing...
  8. Paul B

Why Do We Find This So Fascinating?

Why do we find this stuff so fascinating. (I actually posted this quite a few years ago somewhere, I think) I don't know about many of you guys but I have been watching fish for well over half a century and today as I was sitting close to my tank watching every move of every tentacle I started...
  9. Paul B

Copperband with neurological or vision problem

This (about) 10 year old copperband normally will eat all the clams you give him. But for the last few months he misses the food 9 out of 10 times. In this video he gets one piece but misses all others. He aims short almost every time. I am sure it is neurological and can't be fixed. Fish...
  10. Paul B

Bristleworm trap

A couple of hours with a 5 minute Bristleworm trap. I have nothing against bristleworms unless they start to get to big and numerous. These guys would come out in the daytime and make fun of me so I threw some clam in this thing made from junk I had laying on my workbench. I would have...
  11. Paul B

Happy Veterans Day

Happy Veterans Day and welcome home. I just came back from I Hop and got my free breakfast. Later we are going out with other Veterans for a free dinner. Remember, if it were not for Veterans, we would not have any other holidays. Just something to think about. :D
  12. Paul B

How "I" would start up a new tank today from scratch

I am fairly sure I will never start up a new tank. If my tank ever crashed now, I would probably leave the hobby as I have been in it since the 50s and I think that is long enough. My wife and I would do some more traveling and maybe buy another house in the tropics someplace. Maybe open up a...
  13. Paul B

Looking for powerhead

I want a new (or old) powerhead and I can't find one. I have 3 of these and they are at least 40 years old. They never needed any maintenance except occasionally sticking my finger in the intake screen to clean out amphipod shells, Godzilla larvae and bristleworms. They work forever and are...
  14. Paul B

Maintaining Old Reef tank with a Diatom Filter

Doing a little maintenance with a diatom filter. Sucking out some Cyano and general tidying up. Using a reverse UG filter requires that I do this occasionally so nothing clogs. This is the beginning. In a minute or two, you can't see anything in the tank but the copperband loves it and looks...
  15. Paul B

CRASH

No, Not my tank. Don't be ridiculous. I use an undergravel filter so it can't crash. My white worm culture crashed. :eek: I think it may be ten years old and the worms are disappearing. They may be to inbred or have a social disease. I am not sure what it is but after the last worm...
  16. Paul B

White worms for food

IMO worms are about the best food you can feed along with clams. These foods contain bacteria "That our fish need" to stay healthy along with the fats, minerals and everything else to keep them healthy. I hear all the time that worms are to hard to keep and they have to be kept cool. No, they...
  17. Paul B

Sponges

Sponges. As I was washing my car yesterday I was thinking about sponges. I added this light blue sponge to my tank maybe 15 years ago and the thing really took off. I feel that is a good thing because for it to grow like that it has to be filtering a lot of gunk out of my water which is probably...
  18. Paul B

Please, Lets Honor Memorial Day

A Memorial Day fact everyone should know is that the first observances of what we now refer to as “Memorial Day” were intended to honor those who died in battle during the Civil War. Claiming more lives than any other conflict in U.S. history, the Civil War required the establishment of the...
  19. Paul B

Everything I know before I go Senile (From 2014)

I posted this someplace 5 years ago and figured I have nothing to say today except build things in my Man Cave so I am Re-Posting it again. If it contains anything not PC, irritating, racist, not ethical, unrealistic, argumentative, political, religious or anything else that is considered...