Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

Blue Space

ah... c'mon you can bring a knife or a gun! (Kidding of Course)

Get off the couch and go live your lives, lol... :D

1633210150500.png

Blue Space

Hence the (spear) gun!

Sad deal really, when you read the whole story. If you think about it we kind of share the top of the food chain. though, humans kill many more sharks compared to how many humans have died at the hands of sharks... At least, within the last century.

Reactions: SPR

scb

Morning mate, do you have a parts list of what you used for this plz? Or at lease the pipe diameters of the original red sea pipes?
Hi Collo, Did you go ahead with the XFIlter Upgrade. I'm thinking of putting the 1.0 in my S650 too. I was wondering if you had any updated tips or experience. Shaun - Also was trying to understand if a Gate Valve or Ball Valve is best, you went with gate and I wondered why ? (my S650 is mostly ball valve sin the sump) - and I wanted to be able to service and change stuff if I need to.

SPR

If you look on page 114 there’s a picture of the X Filter 1.7 installed. This has now been changed to a 1.0 as there wasn’t enough flow for the 1.7, it kept sticking or caking up as they call it. I’ve kept the 1.7 as a spare for the large tank. The 1.0 is also significantly smaller so doesn’t take up as much room

The gate valve is much more adjustable than a ball valve for fine tuning the downflow pipe, and remember this was designed to make that stupid red sea valve at the rear of the tank obsolete. You can’t make such fine adjustments with a ball valve, or not easily anyway.

You can use ball valves for other bits, but with a gate valve you can make very fine adjustments to get the water flow down the pipe accurate and therefore silent.

scb

If you look on page 114 there’s a picture of the X Filter 1.7 installed. This has now been changed to a 1.0 as there wasn’t enough flow for the 1.7, it kept sticking or caking up as they call it. I’ve kept the 1.7 as a spare for the large tank. The 1.0 is also significantly smaller so doesn’t take up as much room

The gate valve is much more adjustable than a ball valve for fine tuning the downflow pipe, and remember this was designed to make that stupid red sea valve at the rear of the tank obsolete. You can’t make such fine adjustments with a ball valve, or not easily anyway.

You can use ball valves for other bits, but with a gate valve you can make very fine adjustments to get the water flow down the pipe accurate and therefore silent.
Cheers! just what I needed to know. Makes sense to replace the function of the red sea valve in that daft location. Can I also check what pipe cutter you used, it is such a tight spot I'd rather go low risk with a proven approach than hack around with the wrong tool.

SPR

Cheers! just what I needed to know. Makes sense to replace the function of the red sea valve in that daft location. Can I also check what pipe cutter you used, it is such a tight spot I'd rather go low risk with a proven approach than hack around with the wrong tool.
I used one of these but I had it from building the large system

Its probably easier to mark the pipe we’re your going to cut it, and then unscrew the pipe and cut it in which case you could use a cheap pipe cutter

I would also make sure you have a spare piece of 40mm pipe and fittings in case it goes wrong although my system was of course ‘live’ so it was a little nerve racking! Lol. I don’t know what they’ve done to the union at the top were it attaches to the tank as it isn’t 40mm as I tried to link both systems detailed a few months ago on here.

Its a similar procedure with the emergency pipe although I haven’t bothered doing it as yet and probably won’t as it hardly has any flow down it.

scb

I used one of these but I had it from building the large system

[/URL]

Its probably easier to mark the pipe we’re your going to cut it, and then unscrew the pipe and cut it in which case you could use a cheap pipe cutter

I would also make sure you have a spare piece of 40mm pipe and fittings in case it goes wrong although my system was of course ‘live’ so it was a little nerve racking! Lol. I don’t know what they’ve done to the union at the top were it attaches to the tank as it isn’t 40mm as I tried to link both systems detailed a few months ago on here.

Its a similar procedure with the emergency pipe although I haven’t bothered doing it as yet and probably won’t as it hardly has any flow down it.
Thanks, Yes mine is live too, couple of years in. So I'll also have a bit of anxiety as I make a cut while in-situ.

SPR

How is The Beast coming along?
All good and nothing to report really. I haven’t added any fish for over 10 months, Just because of what’s been happening and I couldn’t be bothered with it all at the LFS

I keep meaning to have a ride over again, probably some time

So It’s really just growing out

SPR

Have any of you seen that program Moonshiners, hey some of you may have even been in it!?

Well my stupid wife broke her knee playing with our 18 month old Fox Red Labrador, who ’has a screw loose’ which is I think an English saying maybe but you’ll understand if you think about it. He’s basically mad!

She is currently hobling around on cruches and a Zimmer frame and so she doesn’t spill her G & T she drinks out of this. I nearly wee’d my pants laughing when I saw it, it’s like what the moonshiners use to taste their liquor!! Lol

AE41D548-BE4A-4E3D-BF5A-0B89A413EF66.jpeg

Nobbygas

Hope she recovers quickly. You could cheer her up by suggesting that if the recovery takes longer than expected it's probably because of her age. She'll appreciate you even more.

• Haha

SPR

Ok its been a few weeks since I’ve posted, I’ve ordered another batch of LPS corals which will be the first addition of anything to the big tank for around 11 months.

The corals are mainly ’green wavy ones’ a gorgonian which Ive been after for ages and some pulsing xenia……. Now I’ve had xenia before in the S650 and for obvious reasons I got fed up with it spreading so I removed it all. But it’s one of my favourite corals, so with some trepidation Im going to stick it on a rock on its own and ‘monitor’ it.

Ive also got 2 green star polyp colonies coming. Now I also love this coral, but the last time I added it, It sort of just, we’ll died…. So I can grow SPS like weeds but one of the easiest corals to grow, oh the shame! Lol

Oh, and can you all go out and buy a plastic yellow goby, about 1 inch long, and stick pins in it, slowly!!!

26318326-C066-4C13-A1A0-FD2F9B5FA480.jpeg

Nobbygas

I will refer you to your posting on May 8th 2021...."That goby has decided he likes the taste of my favorite SPS corals, so when I catch him, and I will, he's going to get rehoused!!"

Move forward to May 21st......
"
Blue Space said:

Wait a minute... I was told there was an elaborate plan to capture the lit'l bugger. So, what's next in the play book? :fingerscrossed:

View attachment 50861
Patience and cunning......!"

Mr Jingles is still going strong eh? What happened?

• Haha