Recent content by Woody

1. W

Over&under tank 90&75g refugium

I'm interested in how this may turn out. Maintenance seems like it may be problematic given that you are going to display your 'fuge and the tanks will be stacked, but sure some extra planning can help. What is your plan for the return? Its an interesting idea--I've thought about doing...
  2. W

jbj stock filter help

Here is a thread which may be beneficial to your question. http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/general-reef-aquarium-discussion/51279-refugium-center-chamber-nano-cube-hqi-28-gal.html If your just looking to add a replace a chemical section with a refugium section this is the directions listed...
  3. W

Your Fish are Angry

Sorry if I'm about to offend anyone, but this is just tripe. I haven't read the actual article but Dave you've hit the nail on the head with the state of "science" and "journalism" these days. I noticed how they threw in prisons and great white sharks into the mix for sensationalist good...
  4. W

Solona tank owners or those who know them..advice and educate me please

Flash is probably the issue, although don't quote me. Seems like Flash is in everything now. Some media comes in bags, some doesn't-it should say on the description. You can also buy resuable bags for bulk media to save a little bit of money, and just fill them yourself. I've never tried it...
  5. W

GFO in relation to Phosphates

Is there a possibility that your HA is Bryopsis? If so increasing magnesium to over 1500 ppm helps (particulalry with Kent Tech M for some reason). For the Cycano, bulb spectrum/intensity and flow are usually the "blamed" culprits. In one of my tanks changing out the carbon always helps with...
  6. W

Solona tank owners or those who know them..advice and educate me please

Sounds like you have questions about the actual setup. There are probably no right or wrong way to set it up, but some may be easier for you or harder. In general the reason why most people don't use bioballs is not that they don't work for what they are designed for its because the have side...
  7. W

Skimmer fundamentals

Just read one of your other thread replys about using ozone. End result is the same probably. DOCs and fine detritus need to be removed--either oxidize them where they are or trap them in something bigger that can be removed and oxized outside of the tank. Good point though about parsites...
  8. W

Skimmer fundamentals

Thanks for the replies. My current skimmer has a wedge pipe (don't think I'd do again) and is susceptible to any variations. Wish I could just dial it in, but every time I do any maintenance (water changes included) they do a number on the output. Thought about adding in a gate valve and...
  9. W

Input for making a 29 gal sump/refugium for a 85 gal tank please!

Here is one of the better refugium/sump sites. Melevsreef.com | Acrylic Sumps & Refugiums Should be a good start.
  10. W

Skimmer fundamentals

I agree with the cleaning portion--which doesn't seem to be considered in a lot of designs. I thought about just adding some horsepower with a better pump (like a bubble blaster) but was concerned with balancing the body and pump. Plus there are a few things that I don't like about my current...
  11. W

Skimmer fundamentals

It would seem then that almost every skimmer that I have seen recently is severely off on several of these parameters. Most seem to be on the order of a couple hundred gph for maybe a couple gallons in volume, and considerably more than 20% by volume of bubbles--at least visually, and pump...
  12. W

Skimmer fundamentals

From what I have seen it seems that there are three main ways to create the bubbles. Beckett, needle/mesh wheel and injection. Seems that Beckett-style injectors are pretty low tech, but can be very effective, with the main drawbacks being that higher pump pressures are required and some...
  13. W

Skimmer fundamentals

I am looking to find out some fundamentals of skimmer design. First off I am not really looking for a should I buy skimmer X type of answer, but an understanding of what makes skimmer X better (or worse) than skimmer Y. The goal is to be able to evaluate a skimmer on something other than...
  14. W

Tank for autistic child- which one should I get....

Welcome, Depending on what you want to get the upgraded lights may not be necessary. I run a stock Nanocube 28 gallon with the "quad" PC light and have had decent success. Granted I don't really have any SPS (just a Montipora, which is doing great), or clams and such. But just about all...
  15. W

DBrinson's 280G Odyssey

I'm sympathetic to the Xenia battle. Still one of my favorite corals, but I wish they didn't spread and grow so fast in my tanks. Probably nearly half of my mantainance is keeping them from taking over.