Recent content by Whacked

1. W

lighting for a 40 gallon breeder

If that fixture has individual reflectors, even better. SPS and clams shouldnt be a issue. I have a DIY T5 kit from reefgeeks and I love it. I only have a couple SPS and a single crocea clam. They like my light
  2. W

New LED tech

over on RC there is a thread in the MARS club forum. towards the end of the thread they finally got a PAR meter down to Exotics and ran a bunch of test and he gave his impressions. I've thought about using a few of those bulbs for a planted FW system. I just dont think its got the long term...
  3. W

Recommend me a tank size, if possible...

I've heard lots of horror stories about glasscages. Plus, they dont ship, you have to meet them if they have a delivery near you. Oceanic has several good sized tanks Oceanic I really like the quality in their builds
  4. W

Lighting Question For Aquarium with Canopy

+1 to reefgeek! I bought the Icecap T5 retro kit, very pleased. it comes with free bulbs and they have a great selection
  5. W

Sump Designs and Examples

dont have a pic. I used some scrap acrylic to form a "box" using a corner of the tank. then I glued eggcrate at the bottom to form a ledge (think if it as the bottom of the box). the "box" is 6x4 and 7" deep, plenty or room to stuff filter floss in, and get my hand in there. the drain will flow...
  6. W

Plastic Gate Valves

1" gate valve, $8.50 + tax at OSH. everything is PVC 'cept the screw holding the valve wheel on. if it rusts, easy to replace.
  7. W

Sump Designs and Examples

i've got a 20L sump setup for my 40B (still under construction) I split the tank into 3 sections 'fuge - return - drain/skimmer the drain/skimmer section also has a partition where I can put in some filter floss. I'll T the return to pump into the 'fuge. that way I can tune the Herbie style...
  8. W

DIY LED Lighting... is it worth the effort?

I've seen those. a not-so-LFS sells them. I know a 36" bulb was going for around $100. The store set up a 24" deep mixed reef tank to help promote the sales, the PAR was good, the color was good, only thing was they had like 9-ish bulbs over the tank. They are interesting, I'd rather DIY a...
  9. W

DIY LED Lighting... is it worth the effort?

wow, been a long time since I last been to this site. over at nano reef there is a huge DIY LED following with many many members making their own lights. Ultimate LED Guide Dont really mean to plug that forum but the LED guide is priceless and the author has vast knowledge on the subject...
  10. W

Thanks Uncle Sam

my guess is probably around 17-19mph over posted. that fine is about what I paid when I got nailed for doing 94 in a 75 zone. not the first time my little tacoma wandered into that speed range. Dang airplane police :( I was actually doing the posted speed when I saw the cop on the onramp and...
  11. W

Thanks Uncle Sam

grats on the lights :) what type are they? hard to see the fixture. depending on how much you got back, you should look into changing the withholding on your W4. Tax returns isnt free money as mentioned above. You are actually better off owing $$. I'm not talking a huge sum that will result...
  12. W

sump vs. refugium

for the light, any will do as long as its 5000K or greater. You can pick up a cheap incandescent fixture and use the pigtail GE Daylight CF bulbs that you find at walmart. for the container, why not a cheap 10g tank? or find something bigger on craigslist?
  13. W

LFS vs Online Shopping

depends. Livestock, I get it local. Drygoods, some the LFS doesnt carry so i'll buy online. Many, many times the LFS is cheaper or same as online plus shipping. Cant forget about those shipping charges otherwise that 'great online deal' will end up costing more.
  14. W

15g Frag Tank Light

the TEK light will be enough for anything you want in your tank. The Sundial has contoured reflectors, you can have most types of corals 'cept the very high light ones. The individual reflectors make a huge difference.
  15. W

Dead Spots in Rocks?

only way I can see that working is with a closed loop system. Heres a link to someone that did something similar Calvin415's 12 footer - Nano-Reef.com Forums