Recent content by tatuvaaj

1. T

What the Heck is it ???

Re: What the Hell is it ??? It is a fan worm. If the conditions are good, they are able to construct a new tube quite fast. Unfortunately, without the protective tube they are also very tempting target for many fishes.
  2. T

help course red algae please help

Yes, that's what I was saying: Bryopsis spp. is not red. That doesn't mean red algae doesn't exist (there are thousands of red alga species).
  3. T

help course red algae please help

:confused: Bryopsis spp. are always green, sometimes with a hint if blue.
  4. T

magnesium?

Are you absolutely, 100% sure that you have such a low Mg++ concentration? It would extremely rare value... In any case, if the magnesium is really that low you must have been using a very bad quality salt mix and thus I suspect that many other elements are also out of balance. It would be...
  5. T

Hairy Mushroom Question

In general mushroom corals are pretty impossible to kill(*) so it should be fine if the conditions are good. (*) I should know, I have been trying to get rid of them 10 years. Well actually, I gave up years ago :banghead:
  6. T

ID this coral?

Both the sponge and the zoanthid are difficult to keep in an aquarium. I would not recommend them as a first azooxanthellae animals.
  7. T

ID this coral?

I just want to clarify that the sponge may very well be a Trikentrion sp. but the white growth is a zoanthid. Sponges do not have polyps ;)
  8. T

ID this coral?

It is a zoanthid from the genus Parazoanthus growing on a sponge.
  9. T

Pink Algae?

Ignore the "Pink Algae" link, they are talking about cyanobacteria which this algae certainly is not (I can't remember the species right now). This is one of the most difficult algae to control because it can grow very fast and in doing so it creates a microhabitat that traps detritus and...
  10. T

Store bought seaweed

If the salt is the only seasoning, I would use it after soaking it in freshwater for a few hours.
  11. T

New corals!

I would love to find Lithophyllon here. Are they commonly available in US?
  12. T

Ro/di How Important Is It?

I don't like killing nice living sea creatures nor do I like algae farming.
  13. T

nitrite problem

OK I didn't remember just how low the toxicity of NO2 is in sea water, think hundreds of milligrams per liter for lethal dose :) Even invertebrate larvae seem to tolerate very high nitrite concentrations (tens of mg/l) Using the 0.1 x LC formula, most marine fish should be unaffected by...
  14. T

nitrite problem

Note that nitrite is not very toxic in seawater. Many people are coming from fresh water aquariums where it kills countless of fishes but in sea water you need quite a lot of NO2 to kill a fish. I can look up references later but I think the LD50 (96h) for most fishes studied is in excess of 10 mg/l
  15. T

Ro/di How Important Is It?

For the record: I recommend RO/DI to everyone! Sometimes people even get mad at me when I mention that I don't use one :ashamed: Just wanted to point out that sometimes you can use tap water. I don't like the idea of wasting so much water if it is not necessary but: RO/DI water will always...