Recent content by SueT

1. S

Recommended lighting.

T. crocea, and T. maxima are the most lighting needy clams and are rock dwellers. I would only try to keep these clams under metal halides. They do require the intensity of that lighting. T. derasa and T. gigas are sand bed dwellers and are a lesser lighting dependant clam.
  2. S

OT: sad news..

Thanks everyone for the extremely kind words and they help, they really do. I seem to be stuck and am trying to get going to do something. The joy of my reef tank is gone and I'm not sure what I will end up doing with it. I definitely will have to move. Least it is not a hurry up and make a...
  3. S

OT: sad news..

I wanted to let everyone know that had so sweetly posted to my mothers fall and hip replacement know that she died this past saturday morning. Totally unexpected. She had just seen her ortho doc that thursday and he was so happy with her progress. Saturday morning I went in to see why she...
  4. S

Do you guys consider excessive cleaning of your aquarium a symptom of OCD?

last night is the first ever night I went to check the tank, sump level and start my kalk dripping only to find my tank completely clouded. I immediately checked things til I see 1 of my mj mods, of course the 1200, hanging by the cord. The suction cups had let go and sand was everywhere. I...
  5. S

Fish Focus - Purple Sailfin Tang

I've always heard that sohals are a very aggressive fish. Sorry to hear your purple tang died...
  6. S

New Corals?

that looks more like an A. tenuis. Kevin has even said he's sometimes off on the id's. He is the director of all things coral at LA.
  7. S

liveaquaria.com

I do love getting stuff from them. You never know just how good it's gonna be...hey, I'm thinking it should be time to get some things...LOL..
  8. S

New Corals?

the A. micropthalma is a stag. So it will grow into a stag form and this species of acropora is a fast grower. Nice coloration on this one. They do come in a wide variety of color morphs. The monti. I have not kept this exact piece but with that nice color I would imagine it would like/need...
  9. S

when they don't scatter and the foxface gets close is where I draw the line...
  10. S

I was just like this til I had a family emergency back in may. Ever since I haven't had the same fire for my tank but stranger still is the tank has never looked better. I couldn't wait til I got finished with my morning coffee to get to cleaning the glass, doing water tests and dosing...
  11. S

liveaquaria.com

Kevin at LA is the best. He has helped me so much in getting frags of the more rare/exotic stuff they have that is not up on their website. He sent me a freebie frag of rainbow A. latistella and it is the sweetest acropora I have. He is just someone who in this hobby is rare to find in the...
  12. S

clams and aptasia

burning, those are called shutes and I can only imagine thats a hard place to get to. You might think about using lemon juice too, its perfectly fine for aiptasia.
  13. S

clams and aptasia

clams can be kept out of water long enough to do removal of an aiptasia or to even just check for pyramids or a general overall health check. It's when placing them back in the tank they should be burped. This is done by gently swishing the clam back and forth and letting any trapped air come...
  14. S

emergency! help with my clam!

I really hate to hear that... something definitely caused the problem, but it could even be from before you got the clam.
  15. S

supplements.

if you are just adding liquid calcium I would definitely test to see what your level is. With the coral you listed they are a big calcium user and you may be getting that way too high. In doing that you will cause your alk to drop. Test before adding anything and if I were you I wouldn't dose...