Recent content by Reefer31

1. R

Waratah anemones!

Waratah anemones come from the east coast of Australia... at least thats where Ive seen them. Plenty along rocky shores south from Moreton Bay. Interesting little critters, but Ive been wary of collecting any, in fear that they could become a menace the way Aiptasia do. If you do buy them...
  2. R

15gal Skimmer

Hi all. Finally have goten around to setting up my 15gal tank for a nano-reef. So far its only got some local species in it, and some base live rock. Im running a small mechanical filter in it for the moment, as well as a Jebo 180 protein skimmer I recently aquired and installed. At them...
  3. R

Porcilean(sp?) crabs

I live in eastern Australia. We get a big mix of tropical and subtropical species through here. These definatly dont live with anemones. I cant see anything that looks like mine on that site, but Im almost definate they are porcelline crabs though. Good to know they are reef-safe, fascinating...
  4. R

Porcilean(sp?) crabs

Hi all. Recently I have observed small crabs crawling all over the rock I have obtained from the sea near my place. I dont have any pics, but they have large, laterally compressed claws, more triangll-ish bodies than other crabs and I have observed them in crevices and overhanges when the...
  5. R

Miracle Mud...A Godsend or a Scam?

When I get the test kits I need I will test some water thats had the mud from down there sitting in it and see if its got any nasties. If I doesnt I might run the tank for a while then introduce it later to see if it has any good effects. Thanks for the replies, Reefer31
  6. R

ok, so just go with a DSB? How deep? most recomendations have been between 3-6", what have people had success with? Thanks for the articles elliottb, a great help. Reefer31
  7. R

Its more expensive over here, cause the Australian Government is scared to death of letting something bad into the country. Hence they dont like to import anythong organic, and like to irradiate anything that is. Hence, the price. Whats a DSB btw? Deep Sand Bed? Reefer31
  8. R

Hi all. Was at my LFS today, just looking around to see what they had in stock. Unfortunatly they are replacing tanks so I didnt see much in the way of livestock. However, I did get talking to one of the staff about reef tanks. He recomended that a Refugium with a substrate of miracle mud...
  9. R

Lights...

Would a 14k MH bulb work, along with 2 atinic T5's and 2 10k T5's? Also, would my power compact system of 2 40w bulbs, 1 atinic and 1 10k, work for my 12 gal for maby a soft coral or two, and a T. Crocea clam? Thanks, Reefer31
  10. R

Starting up a reef-tank

Oooh sounds fun! The reefs are protected I think, but found out today that its totaly legal to take stuff from the beaches behind me. Reefer31
  11. R

Lights...

So I should put 10k bulbs in the Metal Halides, and 2 atinic bulbs in the T5 hood. Like I said, already bought the metal halids, and its cheaper to get the T5's in a single reflector. Money is a bit of an issue see. The 12 gal is 12" deep. Thanks, Reefer31
  12. R

Lights...

Hi all. Thought I would post this here instead of mixing it up in m other thread... I am setting up a 55gal 4ft(18" deep) reef tank after 2 years of tanklessness. I have never kept photosynthetic inverts before, other than a carpet anemone that I returned to the beach I found it at soon...
  13. R

Starting up a reef-tank

If I may ask, Whats a slurp gun? Sounds interesting... And I would love to pick up stuff from the reefs, but they are protected areas most of them. We can use them for recreaction but its a look, not touch policy. Probaly for the better too. However there are areas around the shore that you can...
  14. R

Starting up a reef-tank

I live in Morton Bay, Queensland, Australia. Basically brisbane. We actually have reefs out in the bay here, on tangalooma(Morton Island) the wrecks are an artificial reef and generate a fair bit of tourism. So yeh the temp is pretty much spot on, despite being a suposed subtropicalzone...
  15. R

Starting up a reef-tank

Thats probally an Idea SJS... but I do try to conserve the area I collect from, picking up rubish and ensuring I dont take anything that will die in my tank. I mean if it died then I would have nowhere to go! rlcline76: Unfortunatly I dont have any pics of the old tank, but wish I did...