Recent content by odellous

1. odellous

Hydor Koralia Evolution Pumps

i purchased the koralia deluxe controller with 4 controllable pumps (2-4's and 2-7's). the best purchase for a water mover you will ever make! its amazing! if you spend the money now...you will spend less later trying to recoup when you figure out the discount ones are not doing the trick...
  2. odellous

Basics of Lighting for Reef Systems

very interesting reading clownfish...considering im in the market for new lighting for my tank as well as my fuge! and i need help choosing. i have a 265 gallon reef with a 72" double-outer orbit fixture. 2 x150 with 4 96 watt 420/460 which provides only 834 watts per/gal. i want to graduate to...
  3. odellous

which reef safe fish has the most personality?

all are excellent choices but the mystery wrasse is often overlooked. sometimes my wrasse swims vertically! looks like "gonzo" of the muppets and always has what appears to be a smile!!
  4. odellous

refugium for a 265

i have a seperate sump. this is just for the ref/ats.
  5. odellous

refugium for a 265

i have a 265 gallon reef tank. no lps or sps, just soft corals (i want to graduate to lps and sps). i have a refugium/ats combo and was told the tank used to house the ref/ats is too small and not enough water flow. what size tank should i use for a ats/refugium combo? i just purchased a 30...
  6. odellous

raising magnesium

my parameters are as follows: temp 78 degrees salinity 1.023 -1.024 ph 8.2 alkalinity 2.5 calcium 480 these were my last test readings which were taken on jan 5, 2010. my next testing will be done tomorrow. the salt i use is tropic marin. now i have also been having a problem with...
  7. odellous

raising magnesium

when i asked about the use of mag for my tank and which one, in their opinion, was better. i was told zeomag. it can be added to your cal reactor. problem is...the directions are extremely vague. --does anyone have experience with this product? --how much is needed to correlate with my...
  8. odellous

flushing cooing coils on chiller

thanks for your help. but i was told to remove the chiller and reverse the flow of the water using a vinegar solution. once i did that and hooked it back up, it work perfectly! temp is down to 78 degrees. now, i placed the pump feeding the chiller inside a nylon sock to prevent debris from...
  9. odellous

flushing cooing coils on chiller

my chiller seems to be running correctly but not cooling the temp. had a technician look at it and was told everything ok and the problem may be clogged coils because i had no filter attached to the pump. he said once i flush the coils, it should operate normally. how do i do that? what do i...
  10. odellous

different test results for calcium

my magnesium levels are 1280. salinity is 1.023. i use a koralin calcium reactor and the salt i use is tropic marine.
  11. odellous

different test results for calcium

now i dont know what to do! all w/parameters are within range. i used 'instant ocean' to test calcium levels and the results were 435. acceptable range, right? 'tropic marin' has a 2 part test for mag and calcium, while using that test it showed my calcium levels were 488. too high. i dont...
  12. odellous

Pink Algae?

dude...check this out: Pink Algae Google Image Result for http://www.melevsreef.com/id/tbs/pink_cottoncandy_algae_tb.jpg
  13. odellous

Pink Algae?

dude! i logged on just to find out what this stuff is. its growing in my refugium/ats system. its smothering my caulerpa and i think its affecting the growth of the caulerpa. i have no clue as to what this is...it just looks like pink cotton balls or something. will check with other sites...
  14. odellous

live rock

i went to a fish store and seen some beautiful peices of live rocks. all shapes and sizes. the only problem is there are LOADED with majano anemonies, aiptasias and bristle worms!!! i want to buy the rocks without adding all of that to my tank. how do i kill every living thing on the rocks...
  15. odellous

Help! Serpent Starfish Disintergrated

i think it may have been my alkalinity levels. i remember adding a buffer a day before this happened. i went to test my levels and realized the test kit expired. but my brittle starfish are still ok. shrimp, crabs and my nudibranches are still ok.