Recent content by new2reefing

1. N

3D printing your aquarium parts

one of the great things about these printers is you can make spare parts with the printer and if one gets broke you already have a replacement. i have yet to see a kit for one under $700 that uses abs plastic. i will have one no mater what come tax time. just think being able to make new...
  2. N

Aquiring the goods

i was already planning on 125# in the DT and 25# of rubble in the fuge
  3. N

Aquiring the goods

i was looking in to the 3w white and 1w for everything else. but on a 72" tank it is still a lot of money for each module i need 22 white, 4 red, 2 green, 23 blue, 4 uv, then all the drivers. would still be over $ 275 just for the leds per module.
  4. N

Aquiring the goods

gang lights are not that important. each fixture could be different looking and that would not matter. all the lights will be mounted to the top of the canopy. i can always daisy chain lights together that is not a big deal. it is a traditional 125g tank at 72" long but a small section will be...
  5. N

Aquiring the goods

with the macro rock that is "airy" and light. would that mean i could use less as far as weight, and still get the same amount of surface area, as say fiji rock?
  6. N

Aquiring the goods

Believe me i would love to be able to do LED, the cost is my only obstacle. even the diy kits are far more than i had expected. i have been looking in the different t-5HO fixtures on the market. i can get dual 30" fixtures for less than a quad 30" fixture. the idea is 4 dual fixtures, each...
  7. N

Side-by-side Biocube Refugium

The idea of having 2 pumps to control the water level scares me, and relying on 2 float switches makes it worse. My suggestion is this. Use an overflow along with the pump and float switch. If the overflow is setup right it will only allow so much water to leave. To match the flow of the...
  8. N

Aquiring the goods

I have finished the design for my 125g reef, now I need to start collecting everything that is needed. The plan calls for around 125# of rock. 115# of dry rock and 10# of live rock. What are the differences between the types live rock? Is one BETTER than another? Just because it is called...
  9. N

Wood Vs Steel

powder coat is a plastic that is charged with static to stick to the metal. it is then placed in an oven to bake. once baked it dont chip or flake very easy. if the metal is just painted it will rust over time.
  10. N

Are you a Lego fan?

i dont even think it is 3 inches
  11. N

Kevin's little 5 gallon pico

newbie questions here. what is a pico? what is a nano? what is the difference between them?
  12. N

125g long reef

thank you nivek. i am going in to something i have never even thought of doing. one day i told my wife i wanted a reef tank. she has been understanding to say the least. forgetting to let the dogs out, or put our son to bed. it has been a lot of research, thought, designing, rethink, redrawing...
  13. N

125g long reef

i will be getting the equipment as finances alow. saving the skimmer and pumps for bonus checks. between the house, 2 car notes, and a soon to be 5y/o getting ready for school cash gets tight.
  14. N

125g long reef

with the design i have not only do i not have the hang on back overflow or have to drill my tank, but it will allow me to hide my closed loop pumps close to the dt with out having to go bigger than i need after head loss.