Recent content by leebca

1. L

Curing my DT of marine ich - questions for Lee

Absoltuely no reason to treat healthy fishes. I don't recommend any treatment of newly acquired fishes except for de-worming (and for some species, specific treatment). 6 weeks is plenty of time for the fish to display more than 99% of their 'common' ailments, IF the quarantine process was...
  2. L

clownfish strange behaviour

The copper test kit may read 'none detected' when it comes to copper, but the removal of all copper is important. Make sure you have used carbon and made at least two extremely large (over 80%) water changes. I am assuming they were treated in a quarantine aquarium and that they are still in...
  3. L

1st death already in Hypo at 1.014, pls HELP!!

Water changes will usually prove or dis-prove water quality ASSUMING the poison isn't in your salt, the mixing container/procedure, and/or the source water. Different fishes are sensitive to different poisons and different levels of poisons. I would suspect the hermit crabs killing the fish...
  4. L

Purple Tang - Cupramine sensitivity?

Cupramine is the best copper treatment for all marine fishes, including the Tangs. There are so many problems with wild-caght fishes that when some are undergoing treatment it is tempting to blame the treatment when the fish does poorly. But, I can assure you it isn't the treatment -- it's one...
  5. L

I thought that's what I wrote. :)
  6. L

Don't 'blow it' now. Go slowly. There are more bacteria in there than just those doing the biological filtration. Add back fish slowly as recommended. If you try to go too fast, and even if you monitor for ammonia and nitrities, it could be too late to save the fish. Why risk it now? Any...
  7. L

Good Bye

October 31st will be the last day I will moderate the forum I currently am assigned. Most of November and December I will be in Europe and then in 2013 my time will be split between China and India on behalf of my work. I will not respond to posts after that date. From now until then I...
  8. L

paraguard vs formalin

The lack of clarity on the product indicates they are not sure, either. It will kill off a small set of parasites, some of which the makers are not even aware of. Since hobbyists rarely identify the exact kind of parasite they are dealing with, this information becomes useless to some extent.
  9. L

paraguard vs formalin

just to be clear, the two products do not treat the same parasites or illnesses. However in general since formalin does have a shelf life, it is probably best obtained when needed. If you have an interest in acquiring an Anemonefishes, just lay in a supply of Formalin in ahead of time.
  10. L

Anthias help

What was wrong with the fish's swim bladder? Not in favor of treating fishes for something that isn't wrong. A fish with a bad bladder would not swim to the top and return to the bottom. The fish would not be able to control its swimming at all. Also, not in favor of giving fish land...
  11. L

Anthias help

I don't know what the pea treatment is, however sounds like that might be the problem. I think the fish will come around providing there isn't any problem with water quality. Was this fish quarantined? It is always best to quarantine the new acquisition so that you can train it to eat prepared...
  12. L

Lee please help me again!!

I know how it looks. But, that is how (wrong) anecdotal info spreads. It was not the last treatment. The fish has been through a lot of stress. Each takes it's toll on the lifespan of the fish. When you first treated this fish I thought that the fish would not likely survive. But, it...
  13. L

Prazipro bloating..?

What are the treatment instructions on the API product? Is it to be added to the DT? in what quantity?
  14. L

HELP Clownfish with possible internal parasite

What you need to know and what you need to do is found here: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/37765-de-worming-marine-fish-super-pooper-snooper.html Good luck!
  15. L

Tiny white leeches on small stingray

Bad news on several different areas: 1. The stingray is not a suitable home aquarium fish. Their care is beyond hobbyists, not to mention the fact that they require open ocean for proper thriving. 2. As a potential lethal fish, their import is restricted in some areas, as are their...