Recent content by dblasky

1. D

Steve's LEDs

I purchased them about 3 months ago for my 150g mixed reef tank with all the whistles (controller, lunar, 99% complete, standard configuration) and they are amazing. For the same tank I needed to purchase at least 3 of the modular ones. Way to expensive. With the LED's there is no heat. My...
  2. D

Algae help needed!

Personally I would reduce the lights to 6 to 8 hours at the beginning to reduce the algae.
  3. D

New to leds. Need help

Try Stevesled.com I purchased mine 4 months ago changing from MH and they are awesome. Running then at 60% after starting at 50% for acclimatizing them. customer service is outstanding. They are retrofit with the 99% complete option and the controller is programmable. Good luck it took me over 4...
  4. D

What is the dumbest, most destructive mistake you have ever made on one of your tanks

Re: What is the dumbest, most destructive mistake you have ever made on one of your t Well I think I've made most of the ones you've mentioned, but the one that cost me the most was leaving the pumps off after using Aiptasia X all night waking up in the morning with floating fish. Of about 15...
  5. D

I hate this hobby

I hear all of you. I started with 1 about 8 yrs ago until I had 9 and last year went down to 2 a 150 and a 55. It was just tooooooo much electric bill and buying too much salt. imaging in PR all had chillers. now I'm comfortable with 2. both reef. reef addict. what a great hobby specially when...
  6. D

Ph question

To all the experts here. can it be mag. I had ph at 8, alk at 9 and cal was at 440. I'm using a mag additive and it's raising both. I use 2 part cal additive.
  7. D

Seachem Salt

I used Reef Crystals many years back but I changed to Seachem Reef Salt for the past 6 years. it is excellent. I also tried aqua vitro when they ran out and I needed to do a quick water change and also great. to me the highest salinity is Aqua Vitro. I use less salt to reach 1.024 which is what...
  8. D

Steve's LEDs

I tried ordering the Steve's LED with 95% complete option and they told me they don't have that option anymore. this was maybe 4 months ago.
  9. D

Is this HLLE?

I saw no moving in the volt meter. thank you.
  10. D

Would you mix a Yellow Tang and a Scopas Tang?

Yes. any of the zebrasoma tangs will quarrel. good luck.
  11. D

Would you mix a Yellow Tang and a Scopas Tang?

Don't try it. I did and I removed the scopas to another tank and I have a 150g tank. try another tang like the bristletooths. tomini or orange fin and they do great job removing algae though they can still quarrel.
  12. D

Is this HLLE?

I used to get shocked when touching the water until I removed the damaged powerhead. I like your method better. could there be stray voltage without feeling it when touching the water. I've wandered this for a long time. I will test it today.
  13. D

How do I get rid of aiptasia?

I tried all chemicals and they always reappeared. Filefish worked great for me. Peppermints did too until they disappeared. guess it was the dottyback. I tried Copperband but too delicate. No chemicals go the natural way.
  14. D

Protein Skimmer recommendation

I'm ready to change my protein skimmer from a Seaclone 150 that I've been using for about 6yrs and working great, but time to change to a bigger one. I currently have a 150g reef tank since 12/24/2006 with a current set up of a 55g wet dry sump, 2 refugiums of 20g each (one for chaeto and the...
  15. D

Protein Skimmer recommendation

I'm ready to change my protein skimmer from a Seaclone 150 that I've been using for about 6yrs and working great, but time to change to a bigger one. I currently have a 150g reef tank since 12/24/2006 with a current set up of a 55g wet dry sump, 2 refugiums of 20g each (one for chaeto and the...