Recent content by cynicechoes

1. cynicechoes

Cody & KCs Newbie Reef Tank!

Oh, just remembered, one last question. I'm trying to decide on substrate for the HOB fuge. I've read that doing DSB is unnecessary when you have one in your tank. We used mineral mud last time, worked ok I guess. I've heard fiji mud creates aiptasia, which we had a large problem with last time...
  2. cynicechoes

Cody & KCs Newbie Reef Tank! - 2nd Go Around Hi guys! I have been away from RS for so long, I really miss you all! We actually ended up breaking down our tank because Cody was supposed to be getting discharged from the Marines due to his shoulder injury and we were going to move back to...
  3. cynicechoes

Thanks Lynn. I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who has ended up with a crappy skimmer! How is everything Lynn? Everyone else?
  4. cynicechoes

Cody and I both appreciate that craig! I can't wait til we can get the big tank, but that is a little ways off... :( We have determined that there isnt enough nutrients in the water for macroalgae to survive in our tank which is fine becuase that means we dont need it! I have officially...
  5. cynicechoes

Best Skimmer?

I dont know too much about skimmers but I can say stay away from the sapphire aquatics skimmers. We bought one on the advice on someone and thought it would work well, but it is really a pain and not a great design. It has to be fiddled with to get it to where it sits just right on the pump it...
  6. cynicechoes

I will not brave pics right now as the tank looks kind of a mess as it is in need to some serious wall scrubbing, there isn't much new to take pics of either. We are trying to avoid adding too much more currently as my husband might be getting discharged sooner than his enlistment being up in...
  7. cynicechoes

Hi Guys, We recently did some Xenia mowing. We usually just glued the frags to rocks and took them right in because we had no place to put them to wait for them to fully attach with our tank being so small, but the LFS requested that we keep them a week and we have been having HELL! Our fuge...
  8. cynicechoes

Thanks guys! Yeah we did end up ditching the leather... I think we waited too long as I didn't realize that it could have been poisoning the tank. Since we got it out things seem happier! It is really funny that you mentioned my fuge being clean Lynn Cuz its not anymore! lol We have been...
  9. cynicechoes

That is what threw us for a loop! When we tested all of the basic tests came out fine... calcium, ph, alkalinity, nitrites, nitrates, ammonia... we don't have a test for iodine and the guy at the LFS said he didn't recommend we bother with buying one for the same reason you said. He said the...
  10. cynicechoes

Thanks Craig! We just had a pretty good scare. Everything in our tank suddenly got droopy and the leather is dieing. We talked to our guy at the LFS and he thinks we probably hit the threshold of too much Iodine. So we did a water change and things seemed to perk up a little, we are going to do...
  11. cynicechoes

12. cynicechoes

New Pics! Here are the pics as promised... my hubby went photo happy so there are way too many! He insists I post them all! lol So here it goes: Full tank Shots: Side View One Side Our Refugium Rigging: We first bought a HOB Fuge but that was not enough... So we did this...
  13. cynicechoes

HOLy Crap I'm BACK! It has been a rediculous amount of time since I last posted! I am neglecting my RS friends! Sorry guys! Things have been so busy with school and work and everything that this just slipped my mind... that is no excuse tho, you guys helped me out so much starting out our...
  14. cynicechoes

Hi everyone! It's been way too long since I last posted! Everything is going well with our tank... our xenia has branched off in about 5 different ways and is getting huge. We need to learn how to trim it down or something! We are planing on taking the tree corals to the LFS b/c we aren't fans...
  15. cynicechoes

Thanks Dentoid! I rarely see my goby or pistol too, those pics were from their first couple of days in the tank... they were excavating a burrow under my zoa, since then they have moved to the much more covered and spacious under the LR display... they have a pretty crazy tunnel system going on...