Recent content by christopher

1. C

Rose BTA

Upon thinking about this further, I remembered that the color of the anemone is independent of its genome. I believe the color is from the variety of zooxanthellae in the tissue. Are there any cases where zooxanthellae migrate from animal to animal?
  2. C

Rose BTA

My Rose Bubble Tip Anemone seems to be turning green. It is in close proximity to a Green Anemone and they often overlap. As you can see below, my rose is taking on a green hue recently. I'm wondering if this is somehow due to contact or if I simply received a dyed green from my local store.
  3. C

Coral ID

I found a closeup video of the polyps if this helps: http://www.christopherkriens.com/share/id.mp4
  4. C

Coral ID

Hey, hoping you guys can recognize this coral. I believe it was LPS... The local fish store rep called it a ball coral, but it seems that isn't correct; not surprised.
  5. C

New Clowns and Regal Tang

Rainy day in Minnesota, thought I would share some media with you guys- I got ahold of a pair of Rod's Onyx Clowns the other day- really pretty fish. And this is bizarre- my Regal Tang plays with a seashell all day. Sometimes he drops it behind the rocks and I have to get it because...
  6. C

Adding sand later?

I took over a 29 Gallon Nano Reef setup tonight from someone who was moving. I moved the aquarium in and got it set up- the fish and corals are a little stressed but all appear fine. The original owner didn't have much for sand in it , but did give me a bag of live sand to add. I wouldn't...
  7. C

powder blue not eating

I added a similarly sized powder brown a few months ago and he didn't eat for a good 3 days, but gradually he came around and started by pecking the live rock. I believe the first thing he ate from me was shredded garlic nori, and was very picky.
  8. C

Colt Coral kicking the bucket

Here's a shot: http://www.christopherkriens.com/share/photo.jpg Figured it out I think. Nitrates are at 25ppm! Eek
  9. C

Colt Coral kicking the bucket

My large Colt colony, which has been growing like a weed for months has closed polyps, has turned to a darker color, and is physically shrinking. This has been going on for about two weeks, and I thought that it was just pouting temporarily, but it's been awhile. Ran the suite of water...
  10. C

Tang being territorial

Thanks for the tips guys. Powder Brown is eating and the sparring has receded to a minimum. Here is the Yellow Tang's Taj Mahal: Here's a shot of the now happy Brown: Thanks again!
  11. C

Tang being territorial

Yep, it's a 90 gallon. I had a regal tang with the yellow before and they did get along great, though the different body shapes and more disparate color patterns probably contributed there. I have a few pieces of live rock sans corals; I'll try and move them around- good idea. That's too...
  12. C

Tang being territorial

I added a powder brown to my reef aquarium yesterday and my yellow tang whose been in for about 6 months kept pestering the new addition when it ventured to the left side of the tank. I've decided to quarantine the yellow tang and let the powder brown explore and settle. I'm hoping that...
  13. C

Strange behavior

My Valentini ate another one of my snails today, then he does stuff like this and totally redeems himself. What a weirdo Puffer's New Hobby
  14. C

Oh God, oh God, oh God!

Use the garlic as a food soak. I use Kent Garlic Xtreme (A concentrated liquid form), mix it with brine shrimp, and let it soak for about 15 minutes prior to feeding. I'm sure that chopping up a garlic clove would work just fine. Garlic treatments are one of those things about which...
  15. C

Oh God, oh God, oh God!

He's a goner. Just kidding. In my experience, white spots are generally Cryptocaryon irritans, or saltwater ich and generally they do show up with new additions. I wouldn't get too worried; if the number of spots is small and the fish is eating, the fish's immune system should take care...