Recent content by CarmenH

1. CarmenH

ATO without a sump?

To be honest, I haven't paid that much attention to how low the water is when the pump kicks in, but it sure doesn't ever pump in a half gallon at a time! The pump stays n for maybe 10 seconds...I'd be surprised if it was more than a 8oz. The water goes into the outlet of my deltec HOB...
  2. CarmenH

ATO without a sump?

For my sumpless 90g, I have a Tunze ATO running from a bucket. It sits hidden in a footstool next to the stand...
  3. CarmenH

went to a friends house and saw these in his tank were not sure what these are....

Re: went to a friends house and saw these in his tank were not sure what these are... I had the rust ones in 2 tanks. In my reef, which is very clean and has a 6 line wrasse, they have completely disappeared. In my puffer tank, which always has a gross excess of nutrients, there are huge...
  4. CarmenH

Good crab/bad crab?

Well, I guess I lied a little bit...unintentionally. I have been known to slaughter the occasional flea or tick. Might have even swatted a mosquito last season. I meant things like spiders that actually have a positive role in the ecosystem :) Not that I want to start a discussion on...
  5. CarmenH

Good crab/bad crab?

Just for the record, I don't kill anything I find. I would never kill a crab simply because he's not reef-safe. My 2 mature reef tanks are sump-less, but he can either go in the sump of a new tank I just started, or go into my fowlr/puffer tank. (Any crabs that go in there are placed behind...
  6. CarmenH

Good crab/bad crab?

I think it was directed at the poster of the previous "bite me" post, not you :)
  7. CarmenH

Good crab/bad crab?

He *is* adorable. At the very least I'll keep him in my sump but I'd like him in my main tank if he's safe...
  8. CarmenH

Good crab/bad crab?

Looked online but couldn't ID him. Forgot to put in something for scale...he's maybe 3/4 the size of a dime...
  9. CarmenH

RBTAs, 1 hiding/1 not, both deflating

Hopefully you're right but I looked everywhere for smaller shrimps for my puffers so i could feed them whole and I couldn't find cocktail size ones raw anywhere! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. CarmenH

RBTAs, 1 hiding/1 not, both deflating

Most "cocktail shrimp" are pre-cooked...I've heard feeding any cooked seafood is a bad idea...
  11. CarmenH

Official first post. Getting a bc hqi!!!!!! What should i also be getting?

A chiller might be a consideration? I just passed up one of these on sale because apparently they run really hot...
  12. CarmenH

Little red pistol shrimp?

Yay! That's what I thought! Any tips on keeping him alive? He's very tiny. I have him in a floating breeder trap with a little LR rubble right now. I gave him some mysis last night, which he seemed to enjoy. I don't have a sump but I do have a hang on fuge, that's probably safer for him...
  13. CarmenH

Little red pistol shrimp?

Came in on a frag...he was very red but faded a bit with the stress of handling/moving/dipping...
  14. CarmenH

commensal crab or bad news?

Yay! He's really cute! Glad I don't have to relegate him to life on the lam in my puffer tank! I thought for a while it was a moot point. I dipped his acro in Coral Revive after reading that a crab would be fine as long as it wasn't left in for too long. He went all limp, then started having...
  15. CarmenH

commensal crab or bad news?

Came in on an acro I got today...he's about the size of a pinky fingernail...