Recent content by Bigpapa

1. Bigpapa

180 Gallon RR Tank, Canopy, Stand, Sump $1250obo

Just sold this past Saturday
  2. Bigpapa

180 Gallon RR Tank, Canopy, Stand, Sump $1250obo

Been several years since I have posted on here. But, unfortunately it is time to downsize. My time has gotten spread too thin to properly take care of my aquarium. I have a 180 gallon RR glass tank, canopy, stand and sump. I am the original owner and had it custom built. The overflow is at...
  3. Bigpapa

Temperature Question

Well after a 93 hour work week I finally have a chance to update... I added a fan underneath and opened up the hidden end of the stand to allow for heat escape. I also have one of the glass lids lifted up for the Co2 exchange. The temp has been between 75-77 degrees all week.
  4. Bigpapa

Temperature Question

I will pull both heaters and one of the end doors from the stand for a few days and see where it gets me. I will post back here on like sunday or monday of any change Thanks for the suggestions! Rob
  5. Bigpapa

Temperature Question

The tank has only been up for a week. I have had both heaters set to min temp and am using a new digital thermomter to check the actual temp. The glass lids would prohibit a fan butnow that I think about it, maybe in the sump area. The tank is a room divider so the stand is completely...
  6. Bigpapa

Temperature Question

Hello All, So I have my 180 set up and running and I am stuck at 79 deg. Not really that far off but I don't really understand why it is remaining at that temp. My house is at 72 and the only pumps I am running currently is the bubble blaster on my skimmer, a mag pump on the return, and a...
  7. Bigpapa

overflow plumbing

Great Stuff!! 1st, my overflow is internal with 4 drilled holes-the 2 larger will be my outs. Because of the configuration I will use the Herbie, I cant use 3 outs and just the 1 return. But, on a few links I saw that the bend in the durso is down and some up. I am not sure how the down bend...
  8. Bigpapa

overflow plumbing

Hopefully my last plumbing question......my overflow will have two outgoing pipes and i wanted to try to create it the most quiet as possible. Any suggestions/opinions would be great! If you have pics that would also be great, i just want to try to get this right the first time..... Thanks!
  9. Bigpapa

sump plumbing question

The dt tank is 180 gallon and the sump is 45
  10. Bigpapa

sump plumbing question

Sooo, this is probably a really dumb question but..... the plumbing going from the tank to the sump, should end above or below the waterline in the sump? I never really thought of it before ut it seems that below would be quieter but for some reason it also strikes me as a potential bad idea...
  11. Bigpapa

Skimmer Opinions

My apologies for the confusion... the stand and sump are currently being built by glasscages. I know its a 30" stand so i used my best judgement on max height leaving some error room. I did the same with t he footprint. They build the sump from a 45 gallon and said the skimmer section had an...
  12. Bigpapa

Skimmer Opinions

Bumping...
  13. Bigpapa

Skimmer Opinions

These were a few of the ones I had in mind--- Reef Octopus NWB 200 Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer* - AquaCave.com Store Protein Skimmers Standard Skimmers Reef Octopus Extreme SX 200 Protein Skimmer by CoralVue - AquaCave.com DIABLO 2500 Reef Octopus Cone Protein Skimmer by CoralVue -...
  14. Bigpapa

Skimmer Opinions

Ok, on to the second portion of my needed opinions. The setup will be 180 gallon and a 45 gallon sump. I want to get a quality skimmer to handle it. I have looked into the Octo skimmers and there are a lot of different ones that seem to cover the same gallon range. The space I have for the...
  15. Bigpapa

LED Lighting---HELP!

Lots of great info, thanks guys!! I think my next issue is coverage. When I use my MH's I know I use one unit for every 2 feet of width of the tank, ie for the 6' I would use three units. How do I determine this with LED? I really do not want to go DIY on this one, I have very little...