Recent content by Big Jay

1. Big Jay

I'm going out of town and leaving a hypo tank behind...

My clowns, and a couple wrasses look ok but the tangs and my best wrasse as signs they are lossing the battle. I added an air pump and some stones. It made a HUGE difference in the pH swing. Tomorrow I'm going to make a simple water change kit/station so the sitter will make short work of it...
  2. Big Jay

Thanks Lee. I can't get anyone here (home) that knows anything about fish. So I'm left with the basics. I have a copper kit coming too. I will get the place set up to do a water change every day. Thanks again, you have been a huge help!
  3. Big Jay

Since no one in town has any copper anything I have resorted to and internet order that should arrive monday or tuesday. I'm going to pull the fish tonight or tomorrow. Should I give them a freshwater bath before putting them in the QT? Also, The only thing I'm worried about is pH. I'm hoping...
  4. Big Jay

Do you think it would be easier to medicat with Copper? I can pre mix water change SW with copper. Also, do you think that raising the pH of the Top off water will help keep the pH from swing so much? I have a fairly tight lid on the tank and I'm going to pic up a sponge filter and air stone today.
  5. Big Jay

So I have MI. I am setting up an emergancy hospital tank that I will turn into my Qt after the hypo treatment. My question is, how can I make it nearly fool proof for my house sitter? If I make a bunch of hypo water that has the pH set and make an easy water change system would that work...
  6. Big Jay

Home made fish cubes.

Hard work pays off and this time it pays off big time. I make my own fish cubes and have been asked a million times how I do it. So I thought I would share on how I make my cubes and how much effort it takes. I usually make a batch that will last me about 4-5 months. I have a 125g with 28...
  7. Big Jay

125 gallons of water w/ 3.5% Sodium Chloride

I found a new clutch of eggs tonight!!! 4 times as big as the first. I love the fact they are going to repeat the process every couple weeks. Maybe next month I will build a larva catcher. There are a couple people in town that want the babies.
  8. Big Jay

They were fish food 2 days ago...
  9. Big Jay

PICTURES! Everyone loves 'em!
  10. Big Jay

Well the eggs must have hatched last night. Missed it. Maybe I will get some shots of hatching fry next batch. I don't plan to raise them or anything. Keeping a steril environment for the fry, photo, rotifers, and brine shrimp sounds like a real pain in the butt. For now they will just be extra...
  11. Big Jay

I noticed a week ago my Perculas were cleaning a spot under the frogspawn they host. The activity was not unusual but it seemed like they did a really good job this time. Good enough to turn the knob of Tonga rock white. I went down stairs for a drink of water at about 1 in the morning and...
  12. Big Jay

Well it has been a little while since I have had the time to post. I have some sad news. Both my BSJs died of some dreaded skin disease. That sucks. My wife things it was the hippo but I don't agree. On the brighter side, I found a tiger pistol for Mouth. I acclimated and then placed the...
  13. Big Jay

1st Saltwater Tank - 29g BioCube

Jen, Try putting the camera on SPORTS mode. Also use the flash. These two things will raise your shutter speed considerably and help get clear pictures.
  14. Big Jay

Please NO!!!

Any prawn goby will work. I would suggest putting them in a clear plastic container with small holes drilled in it. Add some sand and rubble and let the two of them 'partner' up before letting them out. It's also a good idea to start a hole near the place you would like for them to be in the...
  15. Big Jay

Pom Pom Crabs Peaceful?

They are peaceful and there is a good chance you will never see it with the lights on.