55 Gallon Planted

Heliux

Ya ive heard many different ways of doing the CO2 DIY. Never tried it myself so cant say if its easy;)

plecosword

just updating some pics!
007.jpg

macro001.jpg

0012.jpg

CO2 made the biggest difference.
macro041.jpg

macro043.jpg

plecosword

bump?
I have a pair of rainbowfish, im interested in breeding them, I have a 10g so how should I got about it?
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGeP-Z0a6Kk[/YOUTUBE]
FTS
013.jpg

E46er

DIY CO2 isnt the greatest as algae will grow with inconsistant nutrients and co2 and the sugar yeast isnt exactly consistant even with multiple pop bottles... IDK if its jsut me but the plants look a little bit yellow to me but just could be the lighting.....yellow plant stems generally mean iron deficiency

plecosword

I need to update this thread. This tank is probably not a planted tank anymore lol

But I have an insane turtle in it. We named him Fred.

DSCN2347.jpg

DSCN2405.jpg

DSCN2407.jpg

Hes doesnt eat fish (yet)
DSCN2411.jpg

Hes kinda adorable
DSCN2347.jpg

plecosword

Thanks, the turtle is growing huge, but i am limited to a few types of plants because the turtle eats it all

yungreefer2410

you should start a planted tank (low light) i would do under 55g though, i've heard that diy co2 is more effective on tanks below 30 gallons. someday i'm going to build a turrtle tank. i'm thinking about 4 feet long 2' wide and 1' tall and have a gradual slope going to the bottum of the tank. your giving me ideas pleco... :D

FishNerd

I use strictly R/O with the proper amount of KENT R/O right avaible at you LFS or online for mineral replacement. Remember R/O water has a very low PH so intoduce it slowly as to not harm your live stock. A PH of 9.0 is very high for plants most of which prefer a PH of 6.8-7.2. Also if you can SLOWLY reduce your PH level to this range your CO2 levels will be much higher and more substainable. I would reccomend a single T-5 for your tank. But be sure to cross check the PH requirements of the fish you currently have in there.
I would also not advise any direct or indirect sunlight.

http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv246/smokeynato/Picture002.jpg
http://i688.photobucket.com/albums/vv246/smokeynato/Picture003.jpg

plecosword

youngreefer, I like those tanks dimensions. If I knew i was going to keep a turtle in this tank, I would have bought a 75g tank because of the width. For larger tanks, you simple double the CO2, (so a second bottle).
Thanks for the advise fishnerd! and nice tank!

StirCrayzy

Kudos on integrating the turtle !
Ive been debating turning my 65g into a planted paludarium to get my turtle out of my office (hardly ever go up there anymore) and into the family room.
also have a relocated soapdish crab, that kept escaping the 65 cause of high water level.

i dont want to give up my cichlids, and wonder about compatibility with plants.
does your turtle eat the bamboo?

plecosword

Kudos on integrating the turtle !
Ive been debating turning my 65g into a planted paludarium to get my turtle out of my office (hardly ever go up there anymore) and into the family room.
also have a relocated soapdish crab, that kept escaping the 65 cause of high water level.

i dont want to give up my cichlids, and wonder about compatibility with plants.
does your turtle eat the bamboo?
haha what? I haven't had bamboo in the tank for a white, but I know he will nip at what ever plant he finds, thats why I think anarchis are the perfect plant for them, they only eat the leafs, and the plant grows fast, so there is no mess. Ill post pictures of his messes.

were you worried about the cichlids and the turtle or cichlids and the plants? I am sure the turtle will not go for the fish as long as you it good. They are lazy, much rather not work for food. But I do not know about cichlids and plants.