Post your RSM 250 Mods Here!

Hi all! I just wanted to make a thread for reefers to post their mods to their RSM 250's. :bluenod:

DSCF1470.jpg

DSCF1473.jpg

DSCF1433.jpg

DSCF1380.jpg

DSCF1074.jpg

DSCF1433.jpg

DSCF1432.jpg

brucewrs

The chiller.......How did you prime the pump?I was thinking about changing my setup to an external pump.Is the pump quiet?

I'm only using 1 pump for the wet/dry filter and the chiller. The water flows down through the overflow at about 800gph, through the filter, into the Gen-X PCX40 and gets pumped through the chiller and back up to the tank! The external pump is very quiet! When you move that much water I had to consider head loss which drops the gph. The PCX40 does a little under 1200gph, but with the caculated head loss, it's really doing about 800gph.

I'll try to get some updated pictures tonight for you!

Ok, here are the updated pictures.

CPR CY194 & CPR CS100
DSCF1482.jpg

This is a top view looking down behind the CY194. Here you can see the skimmer overflow container and the Gen-X PCX40 pump.
DSCF1483.jpg

On the side of the CY194 you can see the outlet tube going into the pump and the pump going to the rear of the 250 to the chiller. Sorry it's hard to see! I used all black tubes. Looks a lot cleaner!
DSCF1484.jpg

In the left side cabinet, I have the chiller. You can see one black tube going in, and another going out to the tank.
DSCF1488.jpg

This picture is the new lights with just the Actinic lights on. The MH bulb is off.
DSCF1491.jpg

All Day lights on. The Actinics and the MH Bulb! You can also see the white PVC tube in the upper left corner of the tank where the filtered and chilled water gets returned.
DSCF1473.jpg

brucewrs

Is the pump loud?I might do something like that.I have two pumps heating up my water right now.One for the sump and one for the chiller.Thanks for the pics..Looks great!

The pump is not loud at all. I think the RSM skimmer is louder than the large pump I'm using! When using an external pump, you don't have to worry about it heating the water. I also have noticed that my chiller isn't on as much now that I have the stock hood off! I think the enclosed system keeps a lot of the heat in. The small fans did nothing for my 250.

brucewrs

The pump is not loud at all. I think the RSM skimmer is louder than the large pump I'm using! When using an external pump, you don't have to worry about it heating the water. I also have noticed that my chiller isn't on as much now that I have the stock hood off! I think the enclosed system keeps a lot of the heat in. The small fans did nothing for my 250.

I like the hood on to keep the fish inside the tank.loll

Thanks Reefmack.

I just wanted to see a post for just the 250 mods and not the 130. Who knows if it will take off or not!

And Bruce, you can keep all the fish inside of the tank without the hood. That's were fish training comes in handy! Just kidding...

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good point on the separate 250 mods thread! I guess asking a mod to put a sticky on this one would be good too. I wonder if we can rename the other thread to indicate 130/130D mods. That would be ideal. I wasn't trying to be argumentative - it's just that these threads eventually get buried if not posted to frequently, then they become difficult to find.

I agree. I think that people looking for mods to the 130 should look into a 130 mod post so they don't have to see other mods to tank they don't have such as the 250. Same thing with the 250 owners, why should they have to file through the mods to the 130 just to find a few that people have posted for the 250.

I will admit, I do like looking at all the different mods, but if you want something for the kind of tank you have there should be a section for that tank only.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I just asked BigAl if he could sticky this thread, and hopefully rename the other thread to indicate 130 and 130D mods. Now the task will be to get folks to use them - not always easy to do. But at least this thread won't get buried due to infrequent posts. Keep an eye out - no idea when it will get done.

tutuan

No offense here, but what you've done were more like "upgrades" than mods. FWIW, i would buy an elos or oceanic tech tank rather than an AIO RSM250

No offense taken, however I think you have to own one of a RSM system before better understanding how hard it is to do any kind of modifications or "upgrades" to these tanks due to it being a closed system. Any as you would call "upgrades" has to be done through some sort of modification to the tank. I'll give you an example. My CPR overflow (or any overflow I saw) wouldn't fit on the rim of the tank even with the top off due to the large plastic leg shelf near the rim. I did have to remove that section of the tank in order for the overflow to fit on the side. Now, would you call removing (cutting) that large plastic section an upgrade or a mod?

I think you have to own this system in order to judge it. I can understand if you would rather buy a different tank for your reasons, however there are many of us that love this system, but then there are some of us that just want a little more so we find small ways to make "upgrades" or mods!

A mod is any modifications not original with the OME specs.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
bodyguard - good point on what a "mod" is. Both threads are now stickied - one for 130 & 130D mods (renamed to "RSM 130 and 130D Mods", and this one for 250 mods. The thanks should really go to Allen - BigAl07, as he's the one that made the changes for us!