Michael's Cube Garden

michael_cb_125

Since I got started in this hobby I have always had reef tanks. Earlier this year I made the decision to switch over to the dark side of the hobby, and try my hand at FOWLR. I must admit that I love my fish, and having a FOWLR tank allows me to have some fish that would not be feasible in a reef tank. I sold my Elos System 70 and setup a 150 gallon FOWLR tank. Well it has been a few months and I am starting to miss my reef tanks. I guess you could say that I have the itch again. So I will be setting up a small reef tank. Instead of going for the larger is better method, I plan on trying the small and beautiful approach. After having an elos I simply love the look of a rimless tank. My girlfriend Megan has an Elos Mini that I got her late last year, so I do not want to replicate that. I have decided to setup an ADA rimless tank. :)

Here are the specs of the system that I plan. As of today all I have ordered is the tank, but I feel that things will go pretty quickly with this one. (as far as obtaining equipment).

ADA Cube Garden 60-P (18 gallons)
Custom Stand
Zero Edge Lamp Tree 24"
ATI 6X24W Powermodule (Pro Color, True Actinic, Blue Plus X2, Aquablue Special X2)
Tunze Nano Reef Pack
Jager 50 Watt Aquarium Heater
EcoTech Marine MP10 Vortech Propeller Pump
Digital Aquatics Reef Keeper Lite

Well, that is about it as far as equipment goes.

My plans for the tank are fairly straight forward. I plan on running it Bare Bottom, and will use a very minimalistic rock layout. My plans for stocking really excite me. I have always loved small gobies but have never been able to have any due to the larger size of my tanks, and the fact that most of my fish are larger and would keep the small gobies in hiding. So for this tank, I plan on housing Trimma and Eviota Gobies exclusively. :)

I will be sure to keep updated on all of my progression. :)

Let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions.

~Michael

mps9506

I have always loved small gobies but have never been able to have any due to the larger size of my tanks, and the fact that most of my fish are larger and would keep the small gobies in hiding. So for this tank, I plan on housing Trimma and Eviota Gobies exclusively. :)

I love it already! My favorite fish, and they can really only be appreciated in a smaller tank like that where they don't constantly hide from larger species.

mps9506

Just out of curiosity where are you getting your ADA tank from... I might follow suit.... maybe.... :D

michael_cb_125

hideki-lagoon-neon.jpg

I simply love this tank. And I love the fact the Mr.Hideki uses more red light than blue. IMO too many people use too much of the higher kelvin bulbs on reef tanks. When I look at 90% of the reef tanks in the US I see a Blue washed out reef. People think that Blue or Actinic lighting is the only way to get corals to pop, but this is simply not the case. Only a few corals (colors) really pop under blue lighting. Typically Green, Blue, some Yellows and some greens are the colors that are enhanced by blue lighting. While Purples, Reds, Pinks, Some Greens and some oranges pop more under neon or red lighting.

Actually in the ATi I will most likely run two Pro Color bulbs.

~Michael

mps9506

Funny thing is that when I first got in the hobby everyone was using pinkish colored URI VHO bulbs and 6500k saki's if they were using MH/MV setups...
Then came the Radiums and everyone went gaga over 20k....
I agree, Japanese do some really creative things with lighting that American's can learn from.

mps9506

I think you may have just thrown my budget for the summer totally off Michael... Thanks a lot...

michael_cb_125

:) Glad I could help. These ADA tanks are just so cool!!

While I am thinking about it. I would love to use Metal Halide Spot Lights for this tank. But, we do not see them here in the States. Occasionally a few get brought over from Japan, and are converted to US specs. I found one for sale recently. The owner of Blue Harbor brought it to the US for MACNA. The guy who he brought it for is now selling it. But alas, finding new lamps would be VERY difficult.

~Michael

michael_cb_125

Hopefully everything will go very smoothly!
I plan on having the tank actually setup and running by next weekend.

~Michael