RSM Moonlights

TheEdge

Hi all, one month into my RSM 250 experience and much to talk about. When I figure out how to work the camera i bought i will post pictures and give some details of my experiences. But first a quick question. So there are six lighting tubes on the RSM 250, 3 white and 3 blue. When I turn on "daylights" all six tubes are lit. When I turn on "moonlights" none of them are lit. The only lighting comes from those tiny blue dot like lights around the outside of the tubes, but it barely provides any lighting to see the tank. Is this the way its supposed to be when you turn on moonlights? I would think the 3 blue tubes are lit and the 3 white tubes are off in moonlight mode. hmm....

Whipitup

The only lighting comes from those tiny blue dot like lights around the outside of the tubes, but it barely provides any lighting to see the tank. Is this the way its supposed to be when you turn on moonlights?

In a word....Yes!!

echopiece

Yes, the 130D is the same way. I am getting ready to buy some cheap LED strips so I can enhance the moonlights a bit. Eventually, I would like to control these LED's with a controller to come on and off with the phases of the moon.

paulwilko

I have 2 strips of those in my 130 and what a difference they make, they are great and you see your corals in a totally different light (Pun not intended)

Normally supplied you get a couple of sticky pads and tie wraps and you just stick them to your hood. Its a tad messy if you open the hood, but well worth it imho

You can have a look at a couple of pics under the lights here Red Sea Max Aquarium - a set on Flickr

go get em

shazzafly

Any chance of a pic with the hood up so I can see where you fitted them, did you have to mod hood for wiring.

:whstlr:

Whipitup

Any chance of a pic with the hood up so I can see where you fitted them, did you have to mod hood for wiring.

:whstlr:

If I do the mod, I was intending to glue the strips in with the main tubes (1 in between the tubes and 2 either side) and run the wiring inside the rear of the hood through a grommet filled "notch" at the rear.

That way you wont see anything out of the ordinary and you will be able to open the hood as usual.

If I ever do it I'll post pictures.

steveh

Please remember that all marine creatures require periods of complete darkness. We deliberately put low powered blue led's into the Max's, not because of cost but because the lighting level was designed to allow you to watch noctural activity without disturbing the natural photoperiod.

Whipitup

Hi Steve, the idea behind the extra moonlights is to provide a "staged" start up and end to the photo period the same way people use their Atinics prior to the main lights coming on:

Lights off, 1 hour of new moonlights only, main light+ moonlights, 1 hour of moonlights only, lights off.

The tank will be in complete darkness after the evening moonlight phase or with just the original LED's.

shazzafly

My moonlights no longer work, no idea why, so am just trying to find an alternative, as you don't appear to beable to source new moonlights from RSM or can you?

Whipitup

I have sourced some (see post #5) I just haven't bought them yet (See post#8) but I will do given time.

Steve
I agree with you that the fish need total darkness for a period of time ( Everything I've read agrees). So given that why is the RSM system set so the blue lights (Night) are on for the whole time that the day lights are off, and there isn't a way to control the night lights. Is there a way to separate out the night lights so they can be controlled by a controller of some sort. Has anyone done this. I have The controller but haven't figured out a way to do this yet.

Whipitup

Steve
I agree with you that the fish need total darkness for a period of time ( Everything I've read agrees). So given that why is the RSM system set so the blue lights (Night) are on for the whole time that the day lights are off, and there isn't a way to control the night lights. Is there a way to separate out the night lights so they can be controlled by a controller of some sort. Has anyone done this. I have The controller but haven't figured out a way to do this yet.

There is a switch next to the main lights timer to turn the moonlights on and off. No way to put them on a timer though.

Yup, I know about that one, but you then have to turn them on or off manually. I guess I could turn them off every other night but that's not a very good solution and a pain. Has anyone figured out a way to by pass that switch and plug then into a timer or controller?

echopiece

LittleJester, I share your frustration as that was the first thing i tried to figure out when I setup my tank. I couldnt believe there wasnt an option to separately control the moonlights. Maybe that will happen with the 130E model :smirk:

well my background is technology. I was hoping that someone has solved the issue. My tank is brand new and I didn't want to take the cover apart to try to figure it out, but if no one has done it yet I might be temped to give it a try. Steve, any chance of getting the wiring schematics of the cover?