It BIT me!

I was doing some serious tank maintenance today... pump went out for the chiller...

Anyway... my Royal Gramma started attacking my hand. THEN it bit me! The dang thing actually drew blood!

She has never been "shy" or lounging in the rockwork. She's always been out and about and perhaps the most agressive in my tank. Weird for a Royal Gramma?

Anyone else ever get attacked by a Royal Gramma?

24 Gal Aquapod modified with additional lighting and a chiller.

sambrinar

Ouch! I have no idea if that is normal or not?? I guess he was telling you who's territory you were in OR... he wanted food

yungreefer2410

i chased my clown away with my fingers and he soon realized that he was no match for my hand. also i handfeed him and would you bite the hand that feeds you?! :D

Frankie

RS STAFF
My cleaner shrimp attacked me today. Kinda karate chopped my hand real good. Scared the crap out of me :D

Frankie

RS STAFF
I had a trigger that was chomping on my arm once. I thought it was stray voltage until I saw blood in the water. Very strange feeling when they bit.
Yeah, it didn't hurt so much as surprised me. The shrimp have never done that before. I guess it was upset I was tearing the frag tank apart and defended it.

lol none of my species have attacked me yet my clowns always wait for food to pop out of my hand i like to hand feed them and if theres no food they go back to there corner and wait for it. (when they see the blue lid pop out they know whats up)

BLAKEJOHN

Heres a little sory of "It Bit Me". I used to have an iguana many years ago. Every day I would sit down at the table with my Iguana across my shoulders and prepare his food. If I did not give him a few bites of food while I was preparing it he would bite my ear untill I did.

Now back on topic..... My Tomato clown used to bite me untill I showed him who is boss by chasing him in and out of his nem with my hand. Today I was removing the algae clip and I started to fumble the clip. Well here comes KittyFish (Lion fishes name) Full speed at my hand. Yeah my heart stopped for a moment as I somehow got ahold of the clip and removed my hand. I guess that is what you get when you hand feed your lion fish.

ReefLady

Staff member
Our Royal Gramma used to be pretty nasty. I think it was probably the most aggressive fish in the tank (we didn't have much for aggressive fish, but it was definitely bolder than the YT).

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
When I was diving, I remember the Royal Grammas were very aggressive towards the divers. It surprised me for such a small fish that you could just flick with your finger! They were fun to play with.

michael_cb_125

Speaking of human biting fish....

My brother has a Midas Cichlid that is around 11".

We cannot reach in the tank anymore. He literally rips into your arm/fingers. And he REALLY draws blood. My brother has scars from it. :)

~Michael

greene394

Our clowns attack our hands everytime they go into the tank. They LOVE biting at my husbands wedding band. They are more agressive than our tomato clowns!! It doesnt hurt, just scares the crap out of you when you dont exspect it!! They also love getting ahold of my husbands arm hairs!! So funny!! Nothing else in our tank bothers us, just our little clowns!

greene394

:snshne: Our clowns attack our hands everytime they go into the tank. They LOVE biting at my husbands wedding band. They are more agressive than our tomato clowns!! It doesnt hurt, just scares the crap out of you when you dont exspect it!! They also love getting ahold of my husbands arm hairs!! So funny!! :laughroll Nothing else in our tank bothers us, just our little clowns!

Stacef

For the longest time nothing ever cared if I reached into the tank, they just all got excited they were possibly getting fed. Now that they are fed a lot less... times have changed. Anytime I reach in to move something or change something, my coral banded shrimp goes crazy on my hand, attacking it full speed. Then there's the clown who constantly nips at me. Then the worst of them all, my Porcupine puffer. He doesn't do this very often, and has only a few times the first time it wasnt so bad. But he got my finger the other day and drew blood majorly. It didn't hurt that bad, but scared the living crap out of me!