green coralline question

lcstorc

Never thought about the tang food. I may slow down on cleaning mine. I do see kiss marks from the Chevron now that you mention it. The bad part is that all sides of my tank are viewable.

BigJay

I was cleaning my glass every day until I put the LM blenny in. Now I switched to every 3 days to make sure he has a good food supply since he seems to like the algae on the glass.
One spot in my tank that I put the rock a little too close to the glass so my mag won't fit in there and now it has a little coraline that needs to be scraped. Oh well... coraline or algae growth on the glass definetly will not hinder tank health IMO, its just an asthetic condition.

Frankie

RS STAFF
All of HMA's pics are awesome. :)
I'll have to look for that one. Is it on RS or on his site?
I think it is on his site also but he posted it here when he first joined. I am sure he will send it to you if you ask. I agree, hma has some of the best pictures i have seen next to Doni's. ;)

lcstorc

Thank you Frankie. That is above and beyond. At least you got to scrool through his pics while you looked. :)
That pic is way cool. I see kisses from my Chevron but not that many.

lcstorc

If you haven't already check out his entire thread. It is spectacular. He also has links to his web site which has more incredible pics.

fatman

Has been struck by the ban stick
If you want, I will debate this......It takes less time for me once a week to clean my glass than it does you doing it everyday. think about it....2-3 minutes each day=say 14-21 minutes, it only takes me 10 minutes weekly (if you want to, add water change time +10 min.) thats a total of 20 minutes to maintain my tank weekly.

I also feel that you have the improper definitions being used for our hobby. To maintain, in the hobby, means to support or sustain- Time is needed to maintain a reef tank. And remedial, or to Remedy, in this hobby, is to restore to the natural or proper condition; to put right. The way you used the word is to Remove something bad, yes we are talking about algae, BUT we are also talking about Maintenance.
Therefore-
During the week a little spotty algae and pink coralline growth will grow, to properly maintain my tank, I take a razor blade to the glass as the growth will come off with ease.

Acually as I wrote earlier, it takes me thirty to 45 seconds per day to run a scrub pad over the glass. That is from 3.5 minutes to 5.25 minutes a week. My water changes are done automatically on a daily basis via timer and dual pump heads.

Yes, maintain is to support or sustain, but not to let degrade.

OK, remedy is to restore to natural or proper condition. That means things were left to go wrong, or become unnatural or improper, before action was taken. I buy that.

I am not saying that you are a bad reef keeper, I am just saying that there is a difference between maintenance and remedial action.

When something becomes so badly contaminated environmentally taht it can not any longer be ignored I get called in for designing remedial action not to perform maintenace. As a result of being an engineer I look at the line between maintenance and remedial action in a much more rigid manner.

I did not mean to offend anyone I just meant to encourage more frequent cleaning some glass areas so as to prevent the formation of coraline algae in undesireable areas. Every bit of unwanted coraline that is allowed to grow removes elements from the water needed by invertebrates for their growth.

Good Day.

lcstorc

IME that happens when the corraline is exposed to air.
Before you add anything, test for it and see what your level is. Before adding calcium you should also look at PH and Alk. If you raise one it can lower the other and unbalance the tank.

tippMANn98

Actually, I had that happen just recently, it was where I had my koralia, on the back wall, I moved it, and now just after one day there is a perfect circle from the light deprivation.

tippMANn98

And it was only from one day, just to adjust my overall flow and see how the corals reacted.

Witfull

As a result of being an engineer I look at the line between maintenance and remedial action in a much more rigid manner.
an optimist sees a glass half full.
a pessimist sees the glass half empty
an engineer sees a design flaw in the glass~

lcstorc

So that is why I am always debating stuff with my husband. I am an optimist and he is an engineer.