OT: Let's SAVE Windows XP

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
easy for you to say. I have a copy of corel photo paint 5 on floppies, its what I use for my layouts and drawings, if this computer dies I am sol because it will not load on anything else, says no time stamp or something, this computer must live or I am DOOMED

BarbMazz

I've never tried a computer with Vista on it. Mine all have XP. Even with XP there's always tweaking to do. Everytime something updates something else doesn't work quite right.

I think my next computer will be an Apple!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've never tried a computer with Vista on it. Mine all have XP. Even with XP there's always tweaking to do. Everytime something updates something else doesn't work quite right.

I think my next computer will be an Apple!

Yes you're right! Even the BEST of them need some "Tweaking"... it's like a car.. you want it to be "Personal" the day you buy it. But what Vista is like is... you buy a new car but it takes 10 minutes to start up (while you're sitting there ready to go somewhere) and even when it starts up it's so slow.... sluggish on take off and it doesn't like the roads you've been driving on. You're now required to go make whole new roads and new EVERYTHING to work with your new car :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I like the idea of making it LOOK like Vista without making it ACT like Vista (slowing it down that is).

:)

Varga

I have no Love for Vista, frankly I don't care too much for the office 07 either. I had to learn where everything is, all over again.

Plus my quickbooks 06 ($300 value) does not work with vista and they didn't tell me that until I paid to renew my payroll service. click to upgrade.......pay......Thank you for payment but cannot upgrade call us.....celled and was told it doesn't work with Vista but there is a solution......buy the 08 version of quickbooks, another $300!!!

theres no doubt in my mind that they do this to get the consumer to re-purchase the same thing. like the mechanic who makes sure you go right back to him in a few months!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Varga that's not the FIRST time I've heard this same situation come up. I'm ordering a new system this week for a client and having XP installed in it from the factory for that reason alone. It's almost comical.

Allen

Frankie

RS STAFF
:spam:
product-20in.jpg

:scram:

CATALYST

So, I'm just about ready to sell my brand new computer...any takers?

Gateway quadcore
Vista
1T drivespace
3GB Ram

Quickbooks 08
Office 07
Quicken 08

Make me an offer

CATALYST

And, I have two more laptops if interested. A Fujitsu 10" and a Vaio UX280. These both have XP.
I also have a Dell axim.

DaveK

The whole Microsoft Vista verses XP comes down to this. Like it or not, Microsoft is going to drag you kicking and screaming into the Vista world. It may take a few years, but it will happen.

If you don't like that, you have several options -
1. Stick with XP, and realize it will not be supported.
2. Switch to a Apple MAC.
3. Switch to Linux or similar system.

That's about it. Personally, I chose option 3, but I can only recommend it for people that really know what they are doing when it comes to computer systems. Most people shouldn't consider this option.

BoomerD

For those who are interested, Microsoft has FINALLY released SP3 through the update site. It's been available for a while (for those who knew where to look), but they didn't formally release it because of a couple of business apps that weren't compatible.

Cavinca

seems like a perfectly viable microsoft solution... break it so everyone has to upgrade. *cough* xbox 360 *cough* :)