Ricordias and Yuma Rare and Common colors?

Craig Manoukian

Mark the palytoxins in the Ricordia is what made the anenome regurgitate and become sick. These are very powerful chemical which are emitted by all soft corals, thus the term "chemical warfare". Always wear gloves when dealing with these beautiful creatures to avoid anaphylactic shock.

I'm glad that multi-colored beauty is faring well after the "fall".

Octoman

Gloves are definitely very important! The reef tank is not worth dieing for... I also run carbon to help clean up any mess in the water.

I was very upset and thought I had killed both of them. The anemone shrank up really small and started to expel goo the next day, but a little later he was back to his old self and now he looks better than ever!! The Ric was dissolved and turning brown in spots, but I was excited to see that it healed and regained its color within a few days. It's still a bit smaller than before, but seems to perk up a bit more every day.

When I moved it, I jammed the piece of rubble it is attached to into a hole in the live rock. I think a snail or the urchin dislodged it. Now it's attached with superglue, should have done that in the first place...

vdituri

Ditto on the Blasthemy Wit.

Andy: How do you tell them apart?

Mark: That one looks really cool. All the ones I've ever seen with more than one color seem to demand a higher price. I know higher $ doesn't always mean rarer, but it usually points you in the right direction.

Cassette87

Andy: How do you tell them apart?

the R. florida's always have a "bubbly" appearance to them, where as the R. yumas tend to have a great variance in the size of the "bubbles" along the sufrace of the disc. They tend to appear more flat, with "stripes" or patterns of larger "bubbles" R. florida have a much more consistent appearance, with equally sized "bubbles" (sorry I don't know the scientific term for those:))

R. yuma examples:
yumab.jpg

8.JPG

R. florida examples:
ricordea1.jpg

Ricordea1.jpg

that yellow one is pretty darn rare around here anyway

vdituri

Thanks Andy for the info.

*** Don't worry about the scientific name of "bubbles".
Almost none of us here speak latin. Cept maybe the Boomers.

Cassette87

Thanks Andy for the info.

*** Don't worry about the scientific name of "bubbles".
Almost none of us here speak latin. Cept maybe the Boomers.

You're welcome victor :)

okay! bubbles it is then :D, you know what they say... THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE... BOOMlandER :lol:

Techno-Vicki

I was looking at a couple of other pics of the large pink yuma and I want to post a couple others so that you can really get a sense of size. The one with the pipe fish helps. Pipie is about 6 inches in total and you see about 4 inches of him. The full shot really gives a true sense of size.

Attachments

• left-tank-nov-07-1252.jpg
    left-tank-nov-07-1252.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 76
  • pink-mush-w-pipy2.jpg
    pink-mush-w-pipy2.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 76

vdituri

Is that the only way he can type or the only way he can talk? lol

Nice fat happy yuma Vicki! I didn't realize they got that big. I figured they would split before then.

goldenmean

Here is my Ricordia fl. that are in my 55g.
I got them from Sharkey's Reef.
I picked out the individual rics and they mounted them on a rock for me.
I have a small ric corner in my nano that has both yumas and floridas.
I"ll take some pics and post after my lights come on this afternoon

RicRoc11_11_07.jpg

vdituri

Check out HMA's thread. He just bought some stunning green ones!
I'm sorry, I mean the ones that jumped into his basket when he was at the store.

hma

Black Rics are very, very seldom .... as well as this. Blue ones are to be got in Germany often, orange, and green is rather a standard and yellow are seldome.

ricordeafloridaschwarzru8.jpg

vdituri

NICE!!!

Your rics look like grapes. The new ones are green grapes and this one looks like concord grapes.

You're not eating them are you? lol