Shaun's 2000 Litre (530 USG) Living Reef & Red Sea Max S 650 LED Design & Build

SPR

I just love the camera angle for this shot. When you talk the photo across the length of the tank it looks more like an actual reef. Great shots as always, Shaun!
Thank you, I think you get the depth from that angle, it’s very difficult from a front shot and of course you also get the reflections which makes it look even deeper and bigger

SPR

Blimey. I just had a look around and the only one's I could find were costing 74 of the Queen's Pounds ! Isn't that a bit steep just for a power supply?
That’s the price, (£64 + postage I think from H20 aquatics) although there is one for sale on Amazon from China at £29. It takes a month to get here and will it then blow your light up ?

I decided not to take the chance

Pancho75

That’s the price, (£64 + postage I think from H20 aquatics) although there is one for sale on Amazon from China at £29. It takes a month to get here and will it then blow your light up ?

I decided not to take the chance
I checked the prices in the US stores and found power supply replacements between $25 and $50 each. I would like to order 3 replacements as my tank is 4 years old now, however I see they come from two different brands “UpBright” and “Ablegrid”. Shaun, which one did you receive?

Last edited:
Reactions: SPR

SPR

I checked the prices in the US stores and found power supply replacements between $25 and $50 each. I would like to order 3 replacements as my tank is 4 years old now, however I see they come from two different brands “UpBright” and “Ablegrid”. Shaun, which one did you receive?
Mine are from AI and have the badges

SPR

The Deltec Nitrate Reactors been running since 23rd February, although I did a reset and added a whole 100ml bottle of Seachem Stability 5th March

At the time it was showing nitrates higher than the tank level as clearly the bacteria within the unit were still aerobic rather than the anerobic ones we need when the oxygen within the water is depleted These are the ones than turn nitrate into nitrogen gas within the reactor and hence lower the nitrate levels.

So 5th March I gave it a boost of bacteria, switched the water flow through it off to allow oxygen to be used up and tested today 5 days later. The nitrate coming out is now zero which is what we need.

So the idea is we turn the flow through it up very slowly. It was started at 1ml/min which is about 1 drop every 3 seconds (the Kamoer FX STP2 is very accurate and ideal for this task) so I’ve turned the flow up to 2ml/min.

The idea is to leave it another few days, test and if nitrate is zero, turn it up again by no more than 1/3 and repeat with a target of around 37-50ml/min to turn the tank water over around every 28 days or so depending on levels. If nitrate shows, dont turn it up and leave it for a few more days to catch up.This may take a few months but that’s the idea. Although the volume/minute is relatively small, it’s running 24/7 so will soon add up once it gets going.

Just to remind you what we’re talking about here you go

C84931B8-39CF-4FB1-876C-96B80BBF3446.jpeg

SPR

The Death Juice I've mentioned before is very efficient at killing Aips.
The only reason they are there, is because the tanks that deep I can’t reach them! Lol

Ive been using Aiptasia X and also added 4 Aiptasia eating peppermint shrimps a few days ago. They are mainly on the left hand rock work, and deep down, were I can’t reach them. The rest of the tank is clear.

Ive tried the berghia nudibranchs, but 7 cost about £105 and they were tiny so don’t think they made much difference in a tank this size.

Blue Space

I haven't tried any of the bottled remedies since failing miserably with Aiptasia-X but I prefer berghia nudibranchs.

I order about 5 or so. They start off slow but if you have a lot of aiptasia soon you'll have an army of them mowing them down. Plus, after you see the aiptasia mostly disappearing you can start collecting them and taking them to your LFS for credit. Bonus!

SPR

I haven't tried any of the bottled remedies since failing miserably with Aiptasia-X but I prefer berghia nudibranchs.

I order about 5 or so. They start off slow but if you have a lot of aiptasia soon you'll have an army of them mowing them down. Plus, after you see the aiptasia mostly disappearing you can start collecting them and taking them to your LFS for credit. Bonus!
Aiptasia X works but you have to get the timing right, hover around the mouth and then fire. If it closes up, I think that’s when it doesn’t work.

And how the heck do you think I’m gonna collect the berghia in a tank this big! Lol.

They are probably doing there job to be fair, I just can’t see them, and one day I’ll think, were have all the Aiptasia gone....

Nobbygas

The Death Juice is basically Aipstasia X, but it's turbo boosted. The stuff you buy is not allowed, by law, to be too strong. The Death Juice is the ramped up version, and it works, especially for Aips. It is also far far cheaper to make it yourself.

I am not trying to take trade away from Red Sea here, but Aips X is a bit mild, so it is a bit of a hit and miss affair with the Aips.

SPR

The Death Juice is basically Aipstasia X, but it's turbo boosted. The stuff you buy is not allowed, by law, to be too strong. The Death Juice is the ramped up version, and it works, especially for Aips. It is also far far cheaper to make it yourself.

I am not trying to take trade away from Red Sea here, but Aips X is a bit mild, so it is a bit of a hit and miss affair with the Aips.
Do you have a quick link to the death juice as I’m P....d!? Lol

Nobbygas

The link is Death Juice
The important part is :-
"Add 2g of Sodium hydroxide powder or pearls to 50ml of ro/di water.

Once they have dissolved add 2g of calcium hydroxide to this.

Shake the suspension well. This suspension is corrosive take precautions with eyes and skin when using.

Turn off all pumps

Use sparingly and slowly drip onto the aip using a syringe.

Shake the bottle of it well before use each time."

The ingredients are easy to get from a well known jungle website or eBay, and are cheap.