RR's RSM S650

rustyreefer

Dipping corals! It’s worth the extra time to ensure you are eliminating hitchhikers.
I didn’t dip the first few corals I added but since I started dipping I continue to see the hitchhikers fall off all the corals I have been buying. In the photo below you can see multiple ones that fell off this torch

IMG_1153.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rustyreefer

Well its been a bit. But for the most part, things have been stable. Added a few corals, and lost a few.
The foxface I added has been a bit of a pain. I need to devise a plan to catch him and rehome him. He is destroyed two duncans and an acan. Pretty sure he is picking on the zoas as well.
Adds have been stylophora, birdsnest, wellsophyllia brain coral, and an acan.

In other news. Got my apex trident in and installed Saturday morning. Let me just tell you, this thing is awesome! I haven't calibrated it yet as it says to let it run for 48-72 hours before calibrating. With that said, it seems to be calibrated out of the box so I don't expect to see a big change.(based on my manual testing results) But would be good to see how accurate it is based on the calibration solution they give you. I'll post a pic of my dashboard and the results for the last few days.

For those interested. I ordered it from Premium Aquatics and it took roughly 3 weeks to arrive as it was on backorder when I ordered. They took my order, my payment method and charged me once it shipped to me. Was a really easy process.

rustyreefer

You can see where I started dosing to raise my ALK to more desirable levels.
Taking it slow as I haven’t dosed before.
There a few different views so tries to provide each.

ad6d3061bf3c369e1bcb5d7e76204388.jpg

9945b97e0af232b01401aedc52cef306.jpg

ed1bb2b1428d85c3ee38c87c318ae8dc.jpg

5a7eab4ac4b4cf1c0188f9b68ba49781.jpg

ced6c62a32cfd8b96d31fa6d85572983.jpg

57a994a39ba7c2ea8942a04f93099c67.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPR

Well its been a bit. But for the most part, things have been stable. Added a few corals, and lost a few.
The foxface I added has been a bit of a pain. I need to devise a plan to catch him and rehome him. He is destroyed two duncans and an acan. Pretty sure he is picking on the zoas as well.
Adds have been stylophora, birdsnest, wellsophyllia brain coral, and an acan.

In other news. Got my apex trident in and installed Saturday morning. Let me just tell you, this thing is awesome! I haven't calibrated it yet as it says to let it run for 48-72 hours before calibrating. With that said, it seems to be calibrated out of the box so I don't expect to see a big change.(based on my manual testing results) But would be good to see how accurate it is based on the calibration solution they give you. I'll post a pic of my dashboard and the results for the last few days.

For those interested. I ordered it from Premium Aquatics and it took roughly 3 weeks to arrive as it was on backorder when I ordered. They took my order, my payment method and charged me once it shipped to me. Was a really easy process.
That Trident is far to advanced for you and your tank so you need to immediately send it to me!!

I need to have it........ and can you send me a US plug adapter as well! Lol

SPR

mhm.. that isn't happening partner!
But you know, as complex as it is, it was super easy to install and setup. Like almost too easy!
I think most of the Apex stuff is these days, I think they have modified the software and with all the set up wizards it’s very easy.

I was trying to connect 4 Radions with what are now old instructions, and they just auto connected and worked. Very easy

And nice pictures as well!

rustyreefer

Quick update.
Still loving the trident. Having testing results multiple times throughout the day for ALK, CA, and MG has been so helpful in understanding what is going on in the tank. With a bit of manual dosing, I am keeping ALK at 9dkh +/- 0.4dkh. Ca has remained pretty consistent without the need to dose and so has Mg.

I am having a hard time with a few corals and trying to determine why.
2 things I am currently working on to correct these issues.

1st is lighting - I think I have my settings a bit too high and I am seeing some bleaching on SPS. Ordered a Apogee Par meter today. I would like to better understand the Par levels in the tank and I couldn't find any specific info to Par in tanks 24 inches deep and lights 7 inches over the water surface. Plan to just do it myself. I learn better hands on anyway :)

2nd is flow - I have not had very much success with hammers. I think they might be getting too much flow. I have turned down the 4 flow pumps in the back as far down as they will go. Going to see if that helps over the next few days. If not, I might try limiting the return pump flow. I also saw Pancho was trying some random flow add ons.. Might need to learn more about that in the coming days.

What are you guys doing for both lighting and flow in the RSM650? Did you experience similar issues as you tweaked the system?

Nobbygas

I have the rear circulation pumps set to max. Three of the nozzles point about 45 degrees downwards and one is pointing straight across and provides surface movement. The main return also provides surface movement. For lighting I use the Saxby setting.

rustyreefer

I have the rear circulation pumps set to max. Three of the nozzles point about 45 degrees downwards and one is pointing straight across and provides surface movement. The main return also provides surface movement. For lighting I use the Saxby setting.
Thanks Nobby. I have mine point straight instead of down. Might try that, but on max they would blow sand everywhere I believe! I have added some crushed coral to the front of the tank to prevent that as much as possible. I too am using the Saxby setting. But I am bleaching SPS. I figured maybe the setting were too intense given the tank is half his tank size.

Reactions: SPR

rustyreefer

Well lots has happened in since I last posted.
Removed my coral beauty and foxface. One of those jokers was eating Acans and Scolys.
Added a few Anthias. And my BTA split. Both stayed on the same rock so looks massive these days.
Thinking of getting rid of my Pulsing Xenia as well as it grows like a weed. I cut it back every month at this point to keep it from spreading.

Tried a few montis both cap and crusting as well as a few acros. They look great for a week or two then they bleach. Water P's have been stable and inline with what I am targeting.
Starting to think I am trying to move them up to quick and not acclimating them well to my LEDs. Going to try again this week and may end up leaving them on the sand bed for a full month. The last one I left on the sand for 2 weeks, then moved it up. Then it bleached in 2 days. I moved it to an area that was at 300 Par.
Running BRS AB settings on my AI LED's.

Added a DOS and DDR right after adding the Trident. So those two things works awesome together!
Alk, Cal and Mag all staying very stable. I am basically only running 1 test per day on the Trident now that I have it stable.(Instead of 4) So my reagents last much longer.

I will add some pictures soon