Juan's 300G+ Aparment Reef Tank Chronicle

Beautiful..!! Both the view and the salt box :) A very well detailed and executed plan with a rock scape that looks awesome. I'll be following along and hopefully pick up some tips for when I upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Great to see you again old friend! Hope things are going good (kids are getting big!) and I'll definitely be tagging along!!

jpsika08

Nice view you have there Juan ! Both inside and out.
Glad to see things looking up for you, and of course I'll be tagging along as usual. I think maybe you put together the gold standard for reef hardware. Or well, the Ferrari Red standard at least. ;)
:cheers:

Josh, Thank you! it's great having you on board. :)

Very nice! What are you planning for critters?
Thanks Oxy :)

As of the moment I'm planning a mixed reef. SPS dominated, also I'm beginning to plan the CUC and fish list for when the cycle is done. Will be sharing the list when I put it together.

Hey Juan great to see you back in the game and on RS with a new tank build !!! WOW you always do it 1st Class ! What a great build, look forward to seeing it come to life - Love the scape ! :nessie:

Beautiful new apt & view too !

Hello Glenn! nice to hear from you again :)
I'm really happy to be back in the game, too many years away.
Thanks for your kind words, nice having you along.

Loved reading through your tank build. I always enjoyed your previous one as well. Glad to have you back.

Thank you John! I'm really glad to be back at RS, it really feels like home :)

Beautiful..!! Both the view and the salt box :) A very well detailed and executed plan with a rock scape that looks awesome. I'll be following along and hopefully pick up some tips for when I upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thanks Steve, nice having you along, any help or questions you may have, just shoot :)

Great to see you again old friend! Hope things are going good (kids are getting big!) and I'll definitely be tagging along!!

Hey Bryan! nice to see you too.
The kids indeed are getting big, at their age I think they enjoy more watching the tank.

Nice to have yo tagging along, see you around :)

gimmito

Man....I could have sworn I replied to this build yesterday. :confused3:

Juan...as always a beautiful job from inception to completion.

One thought...have you thought of using sea swirls in the far end of your tank with the vortecs on the other side? I think you will get some nice random flow in your tank.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

Jim

p.s.

The boys are getting big!

jpsika08

Man....I could have sworn I replied to this build yesterday. :confused3:

Juan...as always a beautiful job from inception to completion.

One thought...have you thought of using sea swirls in the far end of your tank with the vortecs on the other side? I think you will get some nice random flow in your tank.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

Jim

p.s.

The boys are getting big!

Jim, Deja Vú! lol.

Thank you very much. I just read more about the Sea Swirls, I have to figure out how to fit them on my tank as all the eurobraced is concealed with the Canopy, not too much room, but, maybe there is room to add an additional glass just for this, thanks for the suggestion.

Boys are indeed getting big, some times they drive me crazy but sure is a blessing having them around.

Beautiful!!!! Thanks for sharing you have given me more confidence about setting up my 85 gallon in my apartment!!!! :)

Keep us updated!

You're welcome, I know the struggle to surf the net to find other examples in order to take the plunge into doing a build like this on a 2nd floor or higher. It took me a lot to jump in the water and go for it, I also have a Turtle tank, which is around 60 gallons and no problem. Just be sure your floor can support it as every building is different from other. Also, the bigger foot print for the tank, the better, weight distribution here is the key target.

NickF

Wow, top job there Juan. I love the quality of the finish you have.
I'll have to check out your earlier threads, though it may take me a while :)

jpsika08

Ok, so I have been working on my Fish List, here is what I came up with, I would love to hear your opinions.

As of now, the total fish allowed in inches is 75 for the system, and that's using the rule of thumb, 5 gallons per inch of fish, though, in this case and due to the filtering I have in my system, I applied 4 gallons per inch of fish.

This list at the moment has my Wish List, of course I have to cut it back as it's waayyy too many fish.

The max size on the table is based on LiveAquaria stats per fish.

spiraling

Thanks for sharing so many pictures and details. It's really helpful to see the step-by-step process. Fabulous tank and apartment you have. I particularly like the lights above the dining table!

I'll be following along to see how it goes too.

jpsika08

Thanks for sharing so many pictures and details. It's really helpful to see the step-by-step process. Fabulous tank and apartment you have. I particularly like the lights above the dining table!

I'll be following along to see how it goes too.

Thank you very much, I love those lamps as well, they have a 70's style retro fit. Nice to having you tagging along.

jpsika08

First day I've seen the Nitrites go up, this cycle is going too slow IMO, I think ammonia is too high. I will not do water changes as I will let nature takes it course, just sit down and be patient.

Here are a couple of images of the Ammonia and Nitrite test.

Ammonia: Level is so high, the test color is blueish, :( I hope that it can go down naturally being at this point.

Nitrite:

So as of today here are the Tank Stats:
PH 8.2
Ammonia: 8ppm (Measured with API test kit and RedSea).
Nitrite: 0.5 ppm (Tested with RedSea)
Nitrate 2 ppm (Tested with RedSea)
Salinity: 1.0202
Temp: 23.6 C.

Last edited:

jpsika08

My other hobby is RC Heli's and Multirotors, I wanted to share a couple of my quad birds, here is my Sky-Hero 700, really nice machine, it has Telemetry and I fly it with Goggles, really nice to be able to see all from up there.

And here is my new acquisition, it's a SkyHero Anakin, for FPV Racing, just got it to fly for the first time today... In my Kitchen LOL (No Refrigerator or appliances harmed during these pictures).