Clint's 220 mixed reef

Clint24

yqudyga2.jpg
starry blenny!!
a8yzegy5.jpg
a better pic

CD

Clint24

Still tryin to get a good pic of six line wrasse.....
u8yny8yz.jpg

Also recieved two new fish today & put them in my QT's today. Atlantic blue tang & orange shoulder tang!!!!

CD

Clint24

Well after acclimation I put my new tangs in QT at 1:30pm. At 6:00pm tonight they both are frozen prep food & both have been grazing on seaweed in clips all afternoon. Good sign!!! :)

CD

Clint24

I'm not to sure but I think I need to invest in a different phosphate test kit. I currently use API kits & like normal my phosphate readings are .25. My GHA is growing rapidly,even after up sizing my CUC. Any suggestions would be appreciated. :)

CD

Clint24

Further tank info... The rest of my water parameters are good, nitrates-0/ nitrites-0/ ph-8-3/ calcium-400/ kh-9/ temp-77.5-78.3/ salinity-1.022.
I test weekly & do 30 gal water changes bi-weekly. 20 gal refugium with a good amount of chaeto in it.
This might just be a stage in my tank maturity since it's still fairly new but I don't want the GHA to get out of control. I try to manually remove as much as I can with every water change but doesn't seem like I'm gaining any ground.

CD

Clint24

Further more.... I know I'm gonna get bombed for this but for uall to help u need as much info as I can give. I choose not to quarantine my achilles tang because IMO my DT is better suited for him than a 40 gal QT, better water movement, more swimming area & more rock for hiding places. With that being said, he is doing great with no signs of anything. But when I first got him 3-4 weeks ago, he was a timid eater. Now he eats great but at the time I'm pretty sure I over fed my tank while I was trying to get him to eat. Thus nutrients in the water to feed the GHA. Now I just need to get it under control.
Any suggestions would b great!!! :)

CD

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Love achilles tangs - one gorgeous fish - we need pics :dance:

one tip on the gha, is a hardy cuc of snails, a couple hundred for your tanks size... and not over feeding ;)

Clint24

Lol. I ordered a CUC from reef cleaners a couple weeks ago. I'm gonna do some more manual cleaning on GHA throughout the week & next weekend during WC so that hopefully my CUC can keep up with it. Yeah, I was more concerned about getting him/her to eat. Now that the fish is eating I have cut back on good again. It was a gamble all the way around!! :)
Yes, I know pics are nice. I have one posted but it's not the best. I'll get more!!! :)

CD

Snid

You really don't have that much GHA, but it is good to get on top of it before it gets out of control. I'm actually more concerned about something else...

ese3ehus.jpg

Is that Green Bubble Algae I see spreading all around the Zoas? Hard to tell in the picture. If so, here's a good read.

Reefkeeping.com - Bubble Algae

Clint24

Lol Snid. I try to take a few pics of the GHA before I trim it back. I don't have a lot but in the few spots I do have it, it's goin crazy.
I have not seen any bubble algae on there. I just got em a couple of days ago to get me back in the swing of things & to tread the waters per-say. There is some new polyps spreading & some that haven't fully adjusted to my halide lighting yet. But I will defenitly keep an eye out for that!! :) thanks for lookin out.

CD

Clint24

Well, I did a 45 gal water change on DT over the weekend & also worked on my GHA problem in the process. Finally found some RODS food & my fish love it!! :) my orange shoulder & Atlantic blue are still hangin out in QT but are thriving. Also picked me up a few additions... Little 7 headed frogspawn, a tiny green toadstool leather & some green star polyps. Try to post some pics when they adapt to my tank. :) Have a good day all!!

CD

Clint24

WOW!!!! I've been looking at some RS members full tank shots & reading some threads (oxylebius) & feel kinda outta my league here! Lol.
It does give an old ranch/farm boy somethin to look forward to though. Some very nice tanks out there. Hopefully someday mine will be there but as for now....battling the ugly stage & tryin not to get discouraged!!!
All is comin along somewhat nicely for me in a new tank though. Just the typical GHA issue. Little by little & with the help from some of the MUCH more experienced reefers out there one day it will all be worth it. Love this hobby!! :)

CD

Oxylebius

CD -- We've all had the ugly stage :idea:. It takes time to get through it.... :yup: Your tank is on the right track and a great sized tank - lots of possibilities!

Here was my aiptasia infestation! :lookaroun Can you image tackling this!

Clint24

Thanks oxy!! Lol, yeah I bet u might have been pullin out some of your hair over that one!! Well at least you got past it & now have a beautiful lookin tank!! :)

CD

Clint24

My newest additions!!!
ydy6aqu2.jpg
frogspawn behind a GHA covered corner!!
aratuge6.jpg
tiny little toadstool leather!!
e3ury6uv.jpg
green star polyps in the meadow!!

Start small & let them grow!!!!

CD

Wolffman64

Just caught up on your thread, you're off to a good start! I had to get my converter out to see how much 220g is. Geez, 830 litres!!! It will take you a while to fill that beast up :laugh: what are the dimensions of your tank?

Read about your ich "adventure", horrible experience, I though mine was bad last year, but at least most of my livestock survived.. Ich sucks!!!