Duckster's 90 Gallon Reef

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
It is interesting that you don't have high Nitrates right now. Normally once the cycle completes, your Nitrates will skyrocket and you do a water change to bring them down to an acceptable level. I saw in earlier posts that you did have an increase in Nitrates so not really sure how they reached zero. Let's see what others say....

DUCKSTER

I have had to add water regularly due to evaporation. Could that affect how quickly my nitrate levels reached 0

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
hmmm... nitrates can convert to nitrogen gas I believe ... but I though that takes a long time, so most people export them with water changes...

usually pretty large ones as -Nitrate (NO3) reduction is directly proportional to percentage of Water Change.

maybe someone else can explain where your nitrates went ;) if you have not started water changes yet... we have lots of smart RS members

I am always still learning too :)

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
From reading through this quickly it seems to me that you have completed the entire cycle and all of your levels have dropped due to an extremely efficient bacteria crew. LOL

So here is the skinny on what you'll want to make sure doesn't happen.

Right now with ammonia at -0-, your hard working bacteria crew has no food. Like all of us, they need food to survive and multiply. I would suggest continuing to add an ammonia source until you begin to add livestock to the tank. The more you feed the bacteria, the stronger the crew.

Now that's not to say you should dump 10 deli shrimp into the tank, but keep your crew fed and give them a little food to keep them busy. I would not be afraid to add a small piece of shrimp and just toss it into the tank and forget about it. It will dissolve and you'll never see it again after a while.

Once you start adding livestock to the tank the bacteria will grow and die off according to its food source. (fish food, fish waste ect.)

Hope this helps...

Mike Johnson

A good way to keep the nitrogen cycle going is to pretend you have a couple fish in there and feed them some flakes. It's called ghost feeding.

Do you have a pic of your tank? Do you have lights yet? Do you have algae growing on the rocks or glass?

DUCKSTER

THANKS FOR THE INFO. No lights ye we had a major storm which has delayed them being delivered. I was advised not to run lights during the cycling because it could possibly create an outbreak of algae.
Regarding the nitrate reading of 0 i was absolutely mistaken. After creating a mystery as to where my nitrates went so fast I decided to retest. I discovered that inmy haste I forgot to add the nitrate solution 2 to the test tube. My nitrate levels are actually around 20-40 pmm. Sorry for the rookie mistake yall.:hammerhea
I will be posting pics very soon..
RS ROCKS!:happywalk

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Good news, now you need to do a water change to drop them down.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
25% seems like a good place to start. Do that, retest and post the results.

ziggy

Algea growth in the tank will consume/reduce nitrates.

+1 on adding half a raw deli shrimp.

The CUC you add is dependant on how much algea you have, you don't want them to starve in a week

Can you post a pic of your tank? We'll then be in a better position to recommend the CUC.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Regarding the nitrate reading of 0 i was absolutely mistaken. After creating a mystery as to where my nitrates went so fast I decided to retest. I discovered that inmy haste I forgot to add the nitrate solution 2 to the test tube. My nitrate levels are actually around 20-40 pmm. Sorry for the rookie mistake

No need for sorry. Many of us (myself maybe more than once) have made the EXACT same mistake. It's one that you and several others can learn from. It's also a PRIME example of why you want to always consider an alternate test source when you get a # that is out of ordinary or that just doesn't "feel" right. Here's how I handle such a situation:

• A) Have a friend come over and use MY test kit... if same results go to B). If different results I retest with my kit to see if I skipped a step.
  • B) If he/she got the same results we use his/her test kit to help rule out a faulty (out of date etc) test kit... if same results go to C).
  • C) It's never a bad idea to take a water sample to your LFS and let them run the same test with their kits. This way you can have be sure there isn't anything wrong with your kit and or testing procedures.

If A), B), and C) produce the same (or similar but out of range) results THEN you have a problem in your tank and you need to start addressing it.

In regards to feeding the tank now... You must keep something in the tank for the bacteria to work on. Some people will feed (as mentioned above) but I find it much easier and more efficient to drop another deli shrimp in. This feeds the bacteria 24/7 and really will boost your total bacteria colonization until you're ready to add fish. I've found that as time goes by the shrimp is "consumed" quicker and quicker because the bacteria colonize (to a certain amount ) to meet the current needs of the tank. The stronger your initial bacteria colony the better jump-start you have and your tank will be better prepared for your first finned additions.

In regards to water change amount.... you need to understand what the water change does in regards to NO3 reduction. As Glenn pointed out you get a net NO3 reduction of almost a direct proportion to % of water change. This means a 50% water change will net somewhere around 50% NO3 reduction. This is how you find out how much of a water change you need. If you have 40ppm and you want to get down to 10ppm you'll want something more like 75% or several smaller ones. But keep in mind that as your tank matures (over several months etc) it will be able to handle (remove) NO3 to some degree on it's own. The amount it can maintain is dependent upon MANY factors but more established tanks do better at NO3 reduction than newly set up tanks for sure.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Cheers - sounds like your cycle is complete - Congrats !

Time to turn the lights on :)

Do some wc to reduce the nitrates (all great advise from everyone above) then...

add a cuc, add 1st fish or a pair, add 1st coral

cuc - bioload - positive
corals are - pretty bioload neutral - you can add one every week or 2
fish = bioload - one once a month is a good rate

one fish or a pair, will also give the take something to feed on... the cycle really never ends in that since

two great reads
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...something-cycling-breaking-new-reef-tank.html
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/fish-diseases-treatments/29836-mature-aquarium.html