Jebao wp40 review

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
and alot of people are changing from mp's to wp's

not sure about this...

+1 ^ it's really two different products... love the small size of the vortechs & the fact the heat stays outside the tank - but I understand cost is a factor, I started with a Koralia before getting a Vortech, now love my Vortech :dance:

Last edited:

jerry26

Read the thread on RC. Theres alot of people sticking with vortech but there is far more changing than you might think. best on the market or not, i still cant find a way to justify the price of a vortech.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I don't think it's a matter of right or wrong or which is best. In this case it's ridiculously obvious of which is the better product and for that you pay a hefty premium. IMO it's all about budget. I know I've certainly spent TOP dollar on many things along the way however, I've also cheaped out in other areas when money was tight or just couldn't justify spending the green at that point in time.

Look at the cost of heaters...You can spend $30 or you can spend $150 again a matter of budget and how much of a premium do you put on your purchase at the time.

ksicard

I'm upgrading to a 300g mixed reef that's primary focus will be SPS. Flow is a huge factor for this tank. I was faced with the decision of either paying $750 for one pump and needing two of them (a.k.a. two mp60's) which is how much flow that will be required. Or giving the under dog's a chance and trying out 4 wp40's that I could replace each pump up to 4 times before hitting the price tag of the two mp60's. On my current tank I've been running a mp10w and a mp40w on the NTM mode for the past 5 months on my 75g tank and absolutely loved and would most certainly go with vortech pumps again as they are truly awesome, but I just can't pay the required amount for two mp60's on my new tank if I want to set it up this year lol. So basically what I'm doing is selling my mp10w since a single mp40w is plenty for my 75g tank and with that I'm going to purchase 1 wp40 and testing it on my 75g by itself with the mp40w turned off. If it impresses me and seems to perform in a similar manner in terms of healthy PE and good random flow I'll be selling my mp40w and grabbing 3 more of the wp40's. I'll do a full review on both my smaller tank and my much larger tank the 300g DT. Based off videos I will review the wp40 as single pump for my 75g and then review them as a double pair on my 300g. I'm going to experiment with all the modes and see what I like the best and above all what my corals like the best. I think for the 75g I'm going to switch between modes every two weeks and observe my coral to see how they react. On my 300g tank I'm going to run 1 on each side on w1 for maximum wave flow and then the other two will be run on else mode to add some good random flow.

After having vortechs and now soon to be the jebao's I will try to be as un biased as possible with the review and post back here. I'm pretty sure my conclusion will end up as if someone offered me two mp60's or 4 wp40's I'd go with the mp60's but if I had to purchase either one I'd go with the wp40's. That's just my hypothesis but time and tests will tell whether or not they are sufficient for an SPS tank! Hope I can help out with the reviews.

As of today 5/11/13 I sold my mp10w and will be ordering my single wp40 tomorrow.

StirCrayzy

Jebao WP-40 13000L Wave Maker(Jebo)
Just reading the paragraphs on this website gives me red flags. The English is terrible. I'm not sure this this new powerhead will be a solidly made product. I doubt it will take away any ecotech customers who want the best, because this is certainly not it.

Its not made to be "the Best",I cant think anyone would consider this on par with vortech or Tunze.
Its marketed to be Similar in function to "the Best" for 1/4 of the $$. Which is good enough for many of us who arent willing to pay premium to own the best.
The people who are considering purchase represent a substantial piece of the ornamental reefkeeper demographic.
Also, they dont intend the majority of sales to come from individuals, but more from distributors, who will translate properly into the population they supply.

I look at it this way, because i dont have $$ to burn.
i wouldnt buy a Ferrari and make my family go hungry, when a Vette would supply the thrill without breaking the bank.
Of course they are completly different, but the output is similar, and all but the most refined critics would be satisfied either way.
There is obviously a difference in quality, but it is known, and is the price paid.

I have 2 WP40s on order, and will be objective in my review also.

bhazard

Its not made to be "the Best",I cant think anyone would consider this on par with vortech or Tunze.
Its marketed to be Similar in function to "the Best" for 1/4 of the $$. Which is good enough for many of us who arent willing to pay premium to own the best.
The people who are considering purchase represent a substantial piece of the ornamental reefkeeper demographic.
Also, they dont intend the majority of sales to come from individuals, but more from distributors, who will translate properly into the population they supply.

I look at it this way, because i dont have $$ to burn.
i wouldnt buy a Ferrari and make my family go hungry, when a Vette would supply the thrill without breaking the bank.
Of course they are completly different, but the output is similar, and all but the most refined critics would be satisfied either way.
There is obviously a difference in quality, but it is known, and is the price paid.

I have 2 WP40s on order, and will be objective in my review also.

As a previous MP40 owner, I wholeheartedly disagree with you. Not only is it much cheaper than a Vortech MP40, it also performs better. The only thing the MP40 has over it, is being mounted outside the tank. If you absolutely need to have this, than the MP40 is better. For me, I could compromise that to save hundreds of dollars for a better performing pump. You can't deny the performance either, its right there in the videos to see. I could never get my MP40s to make a wave anywhere near what I did with the WP40s in the video. Those videos I posted are 2+ months old now, and my pumps are still going strong.

You're going to love them.

I just switched from an Apex to a Reef Angel, and I highly suggest doing that as well. The Vortech modes can be applied to these pumps, and they can be changed over the web/smartphone at will with just the wifi attachment. It works great.

jerry26

I just saw that reef angel has a "controllable wp-40 pump" on their website.

this is what it says...

Features

Controllable with Reef Angel controllers
Includes the controlling cable harness.
Several wave patterns, such as Reefcrest, Short Pulse, Long Pulse, Nutrient Transport and many more
Specification

Adjustable Flow up to 13000 l/hr (~3400gph)
24VDC operating voltage
Power - 110V to 240V 50/60Hz
Wattage - 12W to 40W depending on the mode
Size - 12cm x 9.4cm

i sent them an email to clarify how controllable it is and they said no other components are needed. the reefangel will control everything including the variable speed.

if you aleady bought a wp40 from somewhere else and you have a reefangel, you can buy the necessary cable by itself from reefangel.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk 2

jerry26

tunze has succeeded in blocking the continued importation of jebao pumps. tunze apparently has proven that jebao broke patent laws. not likely to be lifted until jebao changes the housing(according to a guy that says hes a patent attorney).

jerry26

Okay i reread what was being discussed and i was slightly wrong. They didnt get a ban enabled. I misinterpreted a PM reef angel sent me. It sounds like tunze has sent out cease and desist letters(stop what youre doing or we'll sue you letters). Reef angel has ceased distribution and i asked him if he will confirm that that is the case. If he doesnt want to gwt in the middle of it, ill respect that but its pretty clear something pushed them to stop selling them.

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
I was wondering when Tunze was going to issue that kind of letter. The first thing I said when I saw the pump was, "Wow, that looks just like a Tunze!"

StirCrayzy

China is very good at visual trickery when making their knockoffs, i trust they changed just enough on this to make it sellable.
Plus only a court order or judgement will get them to stop shipping.
I wouldnt doubt Tunze (threatened with loss of sales) could be trying to intimidate and scare distributors from ordering tho.

I have 2 WP40s on order, Fish Street says
"25/5 News: We shipping Jebao WP-40 can send to Worldwide, Include USA. Jebao WP-40 which design is different Other Brand patent."

Last edited:

jerry26

just got my two wp's today. one of them is dead silent, the other has a slight hum to it. their definitely alot bigger than i thought theyd be but they appear to be nice pumps. theyre definitely powerful.

killroy

just got my two wp's today. one of them is dead silent, the other has a slight hum to it. their definitely alot bigger than i thought theyd be but they appear to be nice pumps. theyre definitely powerful.
what would you say the dimensions of the pumps were? also, do they add much in the way of ambient noise to your tank?

jerry26

mine are extremely quiet but i just read that some people were saying their wp's were noisy but the person saying it was standing rigidly against the wp's so idk if he was lying or not.

you wouldnt happen to have a maxijet would you? i could snap some comparison photos otherwise ill get some measurements.