Quantcast
Sky Reef's Nano Cube Mod Diary (JBJ Nano Cube 28-Gallon HQI)

Become a Sponsor Our Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sky Reef's Nano Cube Mod Diary (JBJ Nano Cube 28-Gallon HQI)

Sky Reef's Nano Cube Mod Diary (JBJ Nano Cube 28-Gallon HQI)

Hello, all:

I am modifying my JBJ Nano Cube. I am ditching the rear sump, in favor of an external sump, situated below the display tank, in the aquarium stand. I am also building a separate refugium, in a side tank (a BioCube 14), which will share the Nano Cube's sump. In the end, I will have a side-by-side tanks, one a refugium, and the other a live reef aquarium, both mediated by a common sump.

Here is my diary of Phase I of the mod: removing the sump-partition wall located in the rear of the Nano Cube 28. Hope this proves helpful for anyone who seeks to do the same. Your comments, suggestions, and insights are welcome! Thanks!

The Law of Attraction: You get what you think about, whether you want it or not.

--Abraham-Hicks

Re: Sky Reef's Nano Cube Mod Diary (JBJ Nano Cube 28-Gallon HQI)

lookin good man!! I cant wait to see the finished product!

I love "show" fuges, thats why i did it on my 150. I really think it adds a lot to the whole look of it.
    -Jason

That is a pretty serious modification! Following along to see how it all works out. Nice photos and documentary!!

Quote Originally Posted by PIMPALA View Post
    lookin good man!! I cant wait to see the finished product!

I love "show" fuges, thats why i did it on my 150. I really think it adds a lot to the whole look of it.

Thanks, Pimpala. I can't wait to see the finished product, either. The show refugium should be sweet, standing next to my live reef in a separate tank that has a similar cube design.

My next step is painting the back glass panel black, on the outside, and then I will order my diamond-encrusted drill bit, to drill holes in the tank per the design developed by BeanAnimal, a very smart aquarist at: Silent and Failsafe Overflow System - Reef Central Online Community.

But before I order the glass drill bit(s), I need to decide upon what flow rate I want out of the tanks, and what diameter PVC I will be using. Maybe 1-1/4 or 1-1/2 inch diameter on the drain lines and 3/4, 1, or 1-1/4 on the two return lines. Any suggestions would be helpful.
    The Law of Attraction: You get what you think about, whether you want it or not.

--Abraham-Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Uslanja View Post
    That is a pretty serious modification! Following along to see how it all works out. Nice photos and documentary!!
    Thanks, Uslanja! I appreciate your following along to see how it works. Hopefully, I can keep up the photo-documentary in a similar detailed manner as for Phase I. Have you ever done any mods to your aquarium? Care to share?

--Abraham-Hicks

Very Psyched. Just ordered me a set of diamond-encrusted, "glass-hole" drill-bits for my aquarium from Glass-Holes.com. Soon I will be drilling 62-mm holes in the back of my aquarium, to accommodate 1-1/2" bulkheads and PVC pipes for my drain lines. The aquarium modification continues. It will be awesome when completed!

--Abraham-Hicks

Good luck!! I am tagging along with this one! And I'm sure it will be awesome when it's complete!

Howdy, all:

Okay, I have drawn the glass-drilling plan for this tank, incorporating a Calfo/Coast-to-Coast skimmer-overflow-box as well. Please note that the bulkhead+overflow-box design was created by BeanAnimal, utilizing a set-it-and-forget-it, failsafe design: (1) an emergency standing tube; (2) an siphon standing tube; and (3) an open-channel standing tube. For more information on BeanAnimal's design, please see: Silent and Failsafe Overflow System - Reef Central Online Community.

This drawing is to scale, and the other portions of the design will be submitted soon. All comments, suggestions, and questions welcome!

Thanks, all!

--Abraham-Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by shark32 View Post
    Good luck!! I am tagging along with this one! And I'm sure it will be awesome when it's complete!
    Thanks, Shark! Sounds good, stick around! Hopefully, all will turn out well!

--Abraham-Hicks

That looks nice. I like the fact that the overflow is only 5 inches deep and pretty much the width of the tank. That should give some good surface skimmimng and not take away from the view of your reef. Nice design work, great drawing! Good luck with the drilling!

WOW!!! Great documentation. Are you going to do the same with the 14, I might have missed that? Tearing tanks apart and modding them is some of the best fun I get out of this Hobby. You've opened a new door for many on possibilities with the pictures to prove it can be done. Looking forward to following this thru to it's full operation. Thanks for posting it for us!
    Tom

RSM 250 Jan 2009 .... Tank cracked Feb 2012 "RIP"

Tom's RSM 250

Howdy, all:

Progress continues. I have drawn the plumbing plan for this nano-tank, incorporating BeanAnimal's design. His design calls for a 3-Standpipes (emergency, sipon, and open-channel) in a Calfo/Coast-to-Coast skimmer-overflow-box. For more information on BeanAnimal's design, please see: Silent and Failsafe Overflow System - Reef Central Online Community

This drawing is to scale, and the other portions of the design will be submitted soon. All comments, suggestions, and questions welcome!

Thanks, all!

--Abraham-Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Uslanja View Post
    That looks nice. I like the fact that the overflow is only 5 inches deep and pretty much the width of the tank. That should give some good surface skimmimng and not take away from the view of your reef. Nice design work, great drawing! Good luck with the drilling!
    Thanks, Uslanja! Actually, the overflow is a Calfo/Coast-to-Coast skimmer overflow that I will be making, myself. Therefore, it is actually the entire width of the tank. (The smaller measurement number for the length of the overflow box is the inside-tank distance, as opposed the larger measurement number on the backside of the glass.) I agree, this will help skim the surface, hopefully improving the water quality. Thanks for your kind words. My drill bits will arrive any day now!

--Abraham-Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by tnwillia View Post
    WOW!!! Great documentation. Are you going to do the same with the 14, I might have missed that? Tearing tanks apart and modding them is some of the best fun I get out of this Hobby. You've opened a new door for many on possibilities with the pictures to prove it can be done. Looking forward to following this thru to it's full operation. Thanks for posting it for us!
    Thanks, Tnwillia! I am trying to document all as I go along. Next step in documentation will be painting the back of the tank black. As for the 14-gallon Biocube, I think I will tear out the false-partition wall and the sump chambers, as I did for the Nano Cube. The BioCube is going to be a refugium, and I'm not sure there would be any benefit to keeping that rear sump. I agree that modifying tanks is fun! Thanks for your kind words and enthusiasm. I'll have more to share soon!

--Abraham-Hicks

Looking good! From the drawing, do you run all three pipes simultaneously and then adjust the valves for balance? Will all three pipes flow independently to destination or will they connect through a manifold?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information