Quantcast
Setting tank up and adding rock? Add all rock at once

Become a Sponsor Our Sponsors

Thread: Setting tank up and adding rock? Add all rock at once

Tunicate

Setting tank up and adding rock? Add all rock at once

I am setting up a RSM 250 very shortly and need to know do I put all of the live rock in at once that I am going to use? The reason I ask, is that I am wondering if the ammonia and other chemicals throughout the cycle will kill the goodies on the rocks. I plan to use 60 pounds of rock, 40 of base live rock and 20 pounds of primo deco rock that has all kinds of life etc on it. You know the beautiful rock with all of the goodies we end up spending money on to put in our tanks. I just want to buy the rock and watch it all grow from the primo deco rock instead of buying each seperately over time. Also this would allow all to grow and cycle together, but I am wondering if my primo rock will be look plain once the cycle is done.

I understand there is a certain amount of die off from all rock but will the good expensive rock die during the initial cycle and will I be left with rock that I shouldnt have paid extra money for? If so, when should I add the primo rock, after the initial cycle? Wouldnt this just go back through another cycle?

aqueus Typicus Alloticus nanoreefing4fun's Avatar

Re: Setting tank up and adding rock? Add all rock at once

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

You do want to add all your LR at one time (imo) the key is how cured your new LR is going to be.

Here a good How to Cure Live Rock

My 1st tank I went with $10 a pound all Tonga Branch, on my 2nd tank I used 80% Marco Dry rock & 20% LR from LFS.

another good Newbies, a little something on cycling/breaking in a new reef tank.
    ~ Red Sea Max 130D and RSM 250 ~

Glenn's Reef 130 Glenn's Reef 250

><((((>`..`..`...><((((>
    `.. , . .`.. ><((((>

Thread Information