Quantcast
Coralline algae

Become a Sponsor Our Sponsors

Thread: Coralline algae

Serpent Star

Coralline algae

Hi all

Since I set up my tank the only type of algae that seems to grow is brown and green hair algae. In my last tank I hardly ever had any brown or green algae and had huge amounts of beautiful red and purple coralline algae.

Is there anyway I could encourage the growth of this algae?

Thank you!

aqueus Typicus Alloticus nanoreefing4fun's Avatar

Re: Coralline algae

Checkout this post... a good 2-part solution will encourage coralline algae growth

Supplementing Calcium and Alkalinity to your reef RSM

This is what I use...

E.S.V. B-Ionic 2-Part Calcium Buffer Reviews
    ~ Red Sea Max 130D and RSM 250 ~

Glenn's Reef 130 Glenn's Reef 250

><((((>`..`..`...><((((>
    `.. , . .`.. ><((((>

Coraline comes and goes.. Its not sign of how well your tank is doing. But what glenn said.. Dosing Calcium will encourage Coraline to grow.
    ~TheWeazel

RSM 130, 2 x Vortech MP-10's, JBJ ATO, Lifereef RSM Overflow, Eshopps RS-75 w/ SWC Xtreme 160 , Aqua Euro USA 1/10 HP, ViaAqua Poly-Reactor

In addition to dosing Ca and Alk, dosing Magnesium also helps coralline grow (as well as hard corals). Keeping Mg levels up is just as important as Calcium.
    aka Terry
    Excellence in reefkeeping is achieved by mastering the fundamentals, and learning from mistakes.
    34g Red Sea Max 130 (April 07), ~50-60 lbs. live rock. Lighting: Sol Super Blue LED with AI controller. Vortech MP10ES & battery backup, LifeReef Siphon, Sump, SWC Extreme 120 cone skimmer, Tunze Osmolator ATO, ReefKeeper Lite L3 controller

Reefmack's RSM 130 and...Red Sea Max Owners Club

Ahhh now! I tested my magnesium today for the first ti e and found it to be slightly low... Is the best way to keep it up by water change or direct dosing? I ask due to the interaction with other elements....

Water change will help but it seems like a lot of salts are low on magnesium. Dosing might be better/easier. I used Kent Tech M for a long time, but recently switched to Brightwell Magnesion-P, a powder that requires dilution with RO/DI water. Either of those, or one of the others should be fine. Here's a little calculator that helps with dosing quite a few (not all) of the main brands of Ca, Alk, and Mg:

Reef Chemistry Calculator

Water parameters:

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
    aka Terry
    Excellence in reefkeeping is achieved by mastering the fundamentals, and learning from mistakes.
    34g Red Sea Max 130 (April 07), ~50-60 lbs. live rock. Lighting: Sol Super Blue LED with AI controller. Vortech MP10ES & battery backup, LifeReef Siphon, Sump, SWC Extreme 120 cone skimmer, Tunze Osmolator ATO, ReefKeeper Lite L3 controller

Star Polyps

I use Kent Marine Purple Tech works great

Pistol Shrimp

Quote Originally Posted by ReeferMan420 View Post
    I use Kent Marine Purple Tech works great
    I use that too. Some people say it's worthless and garbage, but hey, I've got more coralline now than I had in any of my other tanks at 3 months in. Not huge patches but still more...

Purple Tech and Purple Up may be good, as long as you don't have to adjust one water parameter more than another - in that case they're not the answer. I've never used either and have more coralline than I want!
    aka Terry

Serpent Star

Feel free to send some of that coralline this way reefmack!

I think I'll have to start with something simple. I'd love to do more test and calculate how quickly my corals use it up, but due to work and travel I just can't. I am looking forward to settling in one place and doing all this.

Glad this seems to have started a very interesting thread. Coralline algae seems to be highly desirable and also one that comes with ease, or careful monitoring.

I wish coralline only grew on the rocks, and not the glass, the pumps, etc.
    aka Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Reefmack View Post
    I wish coralline only grew on the rocks, and not the glass, the pumps, etc.
    same here. if it could stay off the back wall and the glass....
    ~TheWeazel

RSM 130, 2 x Vortech MP-10's, JBJ ATO, Lifereef RSM Overflow, Eshopps RS-75 w/ SWC Xtreme 160 , Aqua Euro USA 1/10 HP, ViaAqua Poly-Reactor

Sea Pen

I was told to stay away from the magical purple up potions on the market ... only reason i was ever told why is that with the right balance of cal alk mag it will happen naturally ... so far this has worked .. alot more work then dosing purple up .... but i know that all three are tested and at the right level.

All purple up is , is a weak dose of calcium and aragonite .... might as well dose the right parts as long as your testing for them .. dont dose anything .. even purple up without being able to test for it. As long as the calcium,alkalinity,and magnesium are right.And phosphates and nitrates are low,coralline will grow.
    Dan Kent

Livestock:
    2 Black Clownfish, Six Line Wrasse, Purple Basslet, White Sand Goby, 6 Mexican turbo snails, 3 nassarius snails, 10 Cerith Snails, 2 Blood shrimp, Emerald crab.
    Coral:
    Various .. specifics coming soon.
    Hardware:
    Red Sea Max 130D Vortech MP10, JBJ ATO,
    Filter:
    10 Gallon sump, Custom overflow, Coralife SS 65 skimmer, BRS media reactor.
    Biological Filtration:
    1.5ish mix live sand and argonite mixed substrate, 30lbs of reef rock, 30lbs of Tonga and Fiji live rock
    Comming soon:

My Tank Thread

+1 ^
    aka Terry

Interesting reading, especially about the Purple Up - thanks for the info!

Thread Information