Quantcast
RSM 130d - PUMPS

Become a Sponsor Our Sponsors

Thread: RSM 130d - PUMPS

Midas Blenny

RSM 130d - PUMPS

I have just set-up the tank: the water is in, the substrate is in and the live rock is in. I have just turned the pumps on for the first time (now that the water level has risen to the correct level) but they seem to be way too powerful with loads and loads of tiny bubbles shooting out of them. They are so powerful they could probably power a speedboat across "the pond" in record time!! Any thoughts?

Also, should I now leave everything running: the pumps, the heater, the skimmer, and the lighting or leave the skimmer off? Any help appreciated.

Re: RSM 130d - PUMPS

Salty Water I would leave pumps on 24-7. You should run your lights to start 3 or 4 hours a day working up to a full photo period during your tanks cycle to help move things along. also turn your heater to about 78. I would turn the skimmer on after about a week once there is something to start skimming, and also to help break it in (skimmer). There are going to be alot of micro bubbles during your skimmers break in period thats normal. After your tank cycles there is a sticky up top that has a bunch of things to help get rid of the micro bubbles if you still have them.
    Let's propose Amendment 28:

Congress shall make no law that applies to the citizens of the United States that does not apply equally to the Senators or Representatives, and Congress shall make no law that applies to the Senators or Representatives that does not apply equally to the citizens of the United States .

aqueus Typicus Alloticus nanoreefing4fun's Avatar

Run your water level up, near the top line in the back left water level window & see if it does not help with the micro-bubbles... raise your surface skimmer cup up to about 1/4" from it's top position.
    ~ Red Sea Max 130D and RSM 250 ~

Glenn's Reef 130 Glenn's Reef 250

><((((>`..`..`...><((((>
    `.. , . .`.. ><((((>

Mine was like a blizzard for the first two weeks, drove me nuts. Now there is something for the skimmer to get its teeth into its not too bad. Could be your new carbon in the bag thats releasing bubbles as well. Saying that when I rinse off my filter media and carbon each week it goes back to a blizzard for a day!

Midas Blenny

Thanks for the replies guys. I found out what the problem was. Basically, I hadn't put enough water in the tank (as I miscalculated how much salt water to buy from the LFS) - the intention was to buy more the next day. This meant that the water level was a millimetre or so below the bottom of the pumps when both were turned-on, so there was a load of air being sucked-up and through the pumps expelling loads of air bubbles. I switched one off and the problem was resolved. I'll top-up the SW tomorrow and turn both pumps back on.

aqueus Typicus Alloticus nanoreefing4fun's Avatar

my pumps body housings are about 3/4 under water... if that helps... I am sure that is the key
    ~ Red Sea Max 130D and RSM 250 ~

Glenn's Reef 130 Glenn's Reef 250

><((((>`..`..`...><((((>
    `.. , . .`.. ><((((>

Keep us updated on progress Salty.
    ~Tammy
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt" ~ Abraham Lincoln

WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA...Please remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you...JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN SOLIDER. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

My Tank Thread

Agree with Tammy - keep us posted!
    aka Terry
    Excellence in reefkeeping is achieved by mastering the fundamentals, and learning from mistakes.
    34g Red Sea Max 130 (April 07), ~50-60 lbs. live rock. Lighting: Sol Super Blue LED with AI controller. Vortech MP10ES & battery backup, LifeReef Siphon, Sump, SWC Extreme 120 cone skimmer, Tunze Osmolator ATO, ReefKeeper Lite L3 controller

Reefmack's RSM 130 and...Red Sea Max Owners Club

Thread Information