Quantcast
starfish melting

Become a Sponsor Our Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: starfish melting

Tubeworm

starfish melting

Got home today and 2 of my bristles are melting. The top of the center disk is gone the 3rd is fine so far. PH-8.2, Ammonia-0, Nitrate-0, Nitrite-0. What could have done this???[http://www.reefsanctuary.com/photopo...4151/size/big]. Is something maybe attacking them???If you need more info please ask will try to post asap. ok found these in 2nd starfish looks like eggs??? [http://www.reefsanctuary.com/photopo...4152/size/big].
    Last edited by taklein65; 04-10-2008 at 08:07 PM.

Re: starfish melting

Sorry I missed your post!

Have you recently done a water change? Did you double check your salinity with the tank and make sure the wc water matches? Starfish can't stand flucations in salinity.
    Terry

150g predator tank full of killers. Soon to be upgraded to a 360g.

450g reef

300g sump.

Terry, that was my first thought as well. It could be osmotic shock. If the salinity changes too rapidly for whatever reason their hydraulic system can't compensate quickly enough and the "valves" burst. It may take a little time to show, days even, but once they start to break down they are done for. This may not be the case, but have you topped off a large amount of freshwater lately?

"Being happy can be as easy as deciding to be!"-Greg Kimsey (framerguy)

375gDT built in wall, 100g sump, Sequence Hammerhead closed loop, DIY light system w/4x 250MH & 4x54w T5, Aqua C EV-400 skimmer etc, etc, etc...

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/...areum-too.html

Tubeworm

All 3 starfish have died. salinity is 1.0022 - 1.0024 with Refractometer. I have to add about 1 to 1.5 gals every day when i get home from work. I pour it in the ref maybe too much too fast . Been doing it this way since i set the tank up back in June of 07. Starfish were put in around Oct of 07. Will keep an eye on the tank to see if anything else changes. Thanks for your help

Do you have too many 0's in your figures there. The salinity for starfish should be above 1.025, with 1.026-027 being optimum. They need full salinity water. A better way to dose the top off water would be with a drip line. You know how much you need so drip it in slowly to eliminate quick salinity changes.

375gDT built in wall, 100g sump, Sequence Hammerhead closed loop, DIY light system w/4x 250MH & 4x54w T5, Aqua C EV-400 skimmer etc, etc, etc...

Tubeworm

Your right 1.022 -1.024. But could i have something else going on today most of the feather duster are dead or dieing and most of the snails are dead. These starfish and the cleaning crew have been in this tank for 8 mos or more why would they die now? What else could cause a die off like this. Could the tank be sick? Today i put in phos pad and a 25w U.V. Sterilizer. I am not disputing what you say about the salinity but why now after all this time would they all (starfish,snails,feather duster) start to die in the last 3 days? Question if the salinity is to be at 1.025 - 1.027 being opt. should i raise the salinity in the tank to this and keep it there. Would this help the tank in the long run or not or is this just for starfish only or would this hurt the fish? I think you for your help . If you need any more info please ask i need help with this.

Since you're seeing THAT much die-off I suspect something has polluted your tank. Anything COPPER related added to the tank? added anything from your LFS that could have come from a tank with a copper treatment?

"Let us help you Geek Your Reef"
    www.ReefBytes.com

> > > >Read ME < < < < when you're in need of answers or help with your tank.

Take nothing from the sea unless it is plentiful.

Egg-Crate SUX
    Quote Originally Posted by Setragni View Post
    Having a reef tank is more about keeping water than fish or corals.
    Nitrate (NO3) reduction is directly proportional to percentage of Water Change.

Ask me about how to increase your REEF budget without going without FOOD!!

Big Al's 10g....Retired BigAl's Slow 90g Tank Chronicle.... Retired

Allens OFFICE 12g Nano-Reef....

2013 LED Upgrade from StevesLED for the NanoCube 12g

and the latest member of my WET family is . . .
    BigAl's Mountain Reef RSM 130D - 2/2011

Yeah, you've got a poison in there from something. The salinity won't account for all of that. Have you set off a bug bomb in the house or anything like that? Have you done anything, no matter how insignificant it seems, in or around the tank?

One thing you want to do is run carbon and do a water change.

I know a local lady here lost MANY hundreds of $$'s of fish because she bought some new whole room smelly things to make the house smell better. I don't remember the exact details but she installed them in 3 rooms of her home (one being a tank room) and within hours she stated seeing signs.

Something had gone wrong and you need to try and figure out what and how *S*

Good luck

www.ReefBytes.com

Egg-Crate SUX

So will wall smell good things really mess with tank.I have them in all rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Debby View Post
    So will wall smell good things really mess with tank.I have them in all rooms.
    I have to say yes. I don't have any air fresheners anywhere in the house don't even vacuum the living room

Tubeworm

no air fresheners or bug bomb in the house. I did put a few pieces of coral a friend got off the beach in Mexico about 2 weeks ago . The coral didn't smell bad and there was no oily feel to it I have already pulled it out. Men i hope this doesn't kill the tank the fish and shrimp all seem to be fine so far. I'll pick up some carbon pads on the way home and put them in asap:smck: . I'll know better next time. Thank you all for your help

Man I hope things are improving for you now. Learn and live Or is it Live and Learn?

Either way take caution in adding ANYTHING "natural" to your tank.

#1 it may be illegal

#2 it may not be compatiable to your "Reef Tank".. remember a LOT of our trade comes from other parts of the world and may not "Fit" with what's natural near you

#3 Keep in mind that any contaminants from near shore will be concentrated there on the shore-line as tides and wind tend to "pile it up".

Good luck and hopefully you're BEYOND the hurdle now.

www.ReefBytes.com

Egg-Crate SUX

Tubeworm

OK did a WC about 35 gallons put 2 socks of carbon in today. Hopefully this will help bring the tank back. Will do about 50 gallons this weekend if things don't look better.

Sounds like a good plan. Just make sure the WC water matches the tank water exactly in salinity and temp.

Keep us posted and good luck

www.ReefBytes.com

Egg-Crate SUX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information