First of all Sean let's look at what the Problem is and address the cause not the symptom.
Yes most all tanks go through some degree of an algae "cycle" but in a well balanced tank this outbreak is usually fairly mild. It sounds like yours may be a bit more advanced and be indicative of some underlying problems in the tank.
Algae is best battled from every angle possible. Here's what I'd suggest:
- A) What is your SOURCE water and if RO/DI then test RO/DI for elevated TDS (time to replace filters)
- B) What are you feeding, how much, and how often?
- C) What's your water change schedule and amount?
- D) Start MANUAL removal often and accompany it with an immediate water change to help export some of the algae from your system.
- E) What type of lights, how long are they on and how old are the bulbs?
- F) Evaluate your Clean Up Crew
- G) Evaluate any mechanical filtration you have on your system (filter socks, sponges, bio-balls, etc)
- H) What are your current test results? (Exact #'s)
In regards to a Clean Up Crew you're probably way under-staffed there. I highly suggest visiting ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Home and filling out their Custom Clean Up Crew form and let John give you his expert suggestion on exactly what your tank needs. They give AMAZING customer service and usually ship a bit more than you purchase!!