Become a Sponsor Our Sponsors
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By BigAl07
  • 1 Post By Therapy

Thread: After Cycle Questions

Torch coral

After Cycle Questions

Hi all,

I think my tank is about done cycling and have a few questions. Once done and i do a WC should I put a CUC in? I'm in no rush to do anything as I'm going to do a little replumbing need to set up a QT. First I'm going to place a sponge filter or two in the back tank of my RSM250 to seed them. How long should those be in the back tank (at a minmium) before I can use it in my QT and get my first fish or pair of fish. Also since I will be using a QT for my first fish my DT will be empty for 4 weeks minus maybe my CUC if I should add them. So do I need to feed my display tank to keep building up good bacteria? Thanks

Torch coral

Re: After Cycle Questions

Another question regarding the CUC..I was told these would be a good start...7 hermits, 7 snails, 3 emerald crabs, 1 diamond gobi, 1 cleanner shrimp, 1 fire shrimp, and 3 peppermint shrimp....I have no idea of what i need to stock in regards to the CUC and have read a lot of differing opinions...so????

In my opinion I would do more snails than 7, I have two emerald crabs in my 55 gal and they are ok, but a lot of people dont like them with corals, your call on those.
    Brandon

"There's no such thing as a bad idea, just poorly executed awesome ones."

55 gallon bowfront reef tank
    http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chronicles/75829-my-first-salt-water-tank.html

Find me on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/Baa78

Also a good place to look up cuc is reefcleaners.org
    Brandon

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chronicles/75829-my-first-salt-water-tank.html

Find me on Facebook

My 250 completer cycle a couple days ago. I contacted www.reefcleaners.org, they recomended the folling for me.

40 Dwarf Ceriths
    17 Flordia Ceriths
    21 Nassarius
    14 Assorted Hermit
    09 Large Nerite
    7 Small to Medium Nerites
    I also plan on running chateo in an InTank Media Basket and Submersable Light.
    IT'S ALL ABOUT NUMBERS

RSM 250
    InTank Media Basket & Light, CPE, Purgin, Chaeto
    95#'s Dry Reef Rock, 2#'s Cured Live Rock
    52#'s SeaFlor Special Grade
    51 Gallons RO/DI Water, Red Sea Coral Pro Salt

Hermits eat the snails, you can keep both but plan on restocking snails a couple times a year. I'd keep the first shrimp to either Skunk cleaners or Pepermints. Save the Red Fire shrimp till later. When I had all 3 types in my tank the Fire shrimp was the survivor. That said the Skunk cleaners were the hardest working/cleaning shrimp I had.

+1^ to Putt's list & John at Reefcleaners. Have fun!
    Tom

RSM 250 Jan 2009 .... Tank cracked Feb 2012 "RIP"

Tom's RSM 250

Quote Originally Posted by eric w View Post
    Hi all,

I think my tank is about done cycling and have a few questions. Once done and i do a WC should I put a CUC in? I'm in no rush to do anything as I'm going to do a little replumbing need to set up a QT. First I'm going to place a sponge filter or two in the back tank of my RSM250 to seed them. How long should those be in the back tank (at a minmium) before I can use it in my QT and get my first fish or pair of fish. Also since I will be using a QT for my first fish my DT will be empty for 4 weeks minus maybe my CUC if I should add them. So do I need to feed my display tank to keep building up good bacteria? Thanks
    What are your current test results?

You put the Clean Up Crew in once you have something more to Clean Up... which I mean as start your CUC slowly and add to it. I'd do about half of what Putt ordered and go from there.

The filter time is entirely dependent upon how much of a bioload the tank has (right now almost zero). Once you start feeding the tank (after the first water change) it will start being colonized pretty quickly and I would call it "Seeded" after a few weeks.

Yes you'll need to occasionally add "Food" to the tank to keep the bacteria colony going. No food = No bacteria = Start cycle over... just don't go over board.. a pinch a day (small pinch) should suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by eric w View Post
    Another question regarding the CUC..I was told these would be a good start...7 hermits, 7 snails, 3 emerald crabs, 1 diamond gobi, 1 cleanner shrimp, 1 fire shrimp, and 3 peppermint shrimp....I have no idea of what i need to stock in regards to the CUC and have read a lot of differing opinions...so????
    diamond gobi, fire shrimp, cleaner shrimp might be better left until a bit later down the road. Those are more "ornamental" and I wouldn't risk them on a brand new set up. Wait until you know the system is stable then add some "pretty" CUC.
    Maui likes this.

"Let us help you Geek Your Reef"
    www.ReefBytes.com

> > > >Read ME < < < < when you're in need of answers or help with your tank.

Take nothing from the sea unless it is plentiful.

Egg-Crate SUX
    Quote Originally Posted by Setragni View Post
    Having a reef tank is more about keeping water than fish or corals.
    Nitrate (NO3) reduction is directly proportional to percentage of Water Change.

Ask me about how to increase your REEF budget without going without FOOD!!

Big Al's 10g....Retired BigAl's Slow 90g Tank Chronicle.... Retired

Allens OFFICE 12g Nano-Reef....

2013 LED Upgrade from StevesLED for the NanoCube 12g

and the latest member of my WET family is . . .
    BigAl's Mountain Reef RSM 130D - 2/2011

Torch coral

In regards to the sponge aspect of the QT I'm still confused....After it is "seeded" and I put it in the QT does the tank then cycle? I just read another thread on the QT and there were differing opinions on this as well as it seems like everything in this hobby. Is the sponge used just to help keep nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia in check for the 4 weeks a fish is in there or does it help to cycle the tank quicker? Sorry im a newbie and trying to do the right thing with my investment....And I know all fish and items go into the QT how about the first fish...I was planning on it but just wanted to see what people do/say...Thanks

I agree with BigAl on the size of cuc. The list was a recommendation from John @ Reef Cleaners. I haven't placed an order yet. My diatom bloom came, and three or four days latter all but gone. No other algae in sight. I'm not sure if the tank will support even a 1/2 order of cuc. I have had a filter sponge in my tank since the start. I think I will set up my QT this weekend.
    IT'S ALL ABOUT NUMBERS

RSM 250
    InTank Media Basket & Light, CPE, Purgin, Chaeto
    95#'s Dry Reef Rock, 2#'s Cured Live Rock
    52#'s SeaFlor Special Grade
    51 Gallons RO/DI Water, Red Sea Coral Pro Salt

Midas Blenny

All seems like pretty good advice. Which is....go slow. You can always add later. So many disasters happen when too much is added too soon. I know, we ALL want to see it populated and be entertained but slower will save your butt more times than you know.
    I do want to comment on the hermit eating snails issue. Hermits do not target snails, but will kill them if they need a bigger shell to transfer into. (watching a transfer if funny to watch in itself) So throw in some extra shells for them to sort through. Which they will do constantly. I personally had zero troubles with Emerald crabs and corals. Have no idea where that came from. Be careful of anecdotal evidence.
    Ornamental shrimp are very entertaining but I'll agree with BigAl07. I'd wait a little while longer. They are extremely intolerant of salinity changes And there is no immediate need for them right now.
    You're off to a good start here. Have fun.
    BigAl07 likes this.
    - Tom

Yea I have two emerald crabs and they do fine, but I have had people tell me that they took theirs out due to them picking at corals etc. Crabs will be crabs, depends on food supply as well. Its really an opinion thing, I obviously think they are fine, some do not..
    Brandon

Find me on Facebook

I don't think anyone answered your question so , your sponges after being seeded for a month + ,depending on your bioload will be able to handle any ammonia that your fish will create in a qt. It should have enough good bacteria to eat up any ammonia turning it to nitrate . Good bacteria needs a ammonia source to keep good bacteria colonizing.. So ya basically it will cycle your tank if that's what you want to call it.

Torch coral
    Thanks

Has been struck by the ban stick
    Emerald crabs are beneficial. Benefits much out weigh the costs.

........sps smells familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
    I don't think anyone answered your question so , your sponges after being seeded for a month + ,depending on your bioload will be able to handle any ammonia that your fish will create in a qt. It should have enough good bacteria to eat up any ammonia turning it to nitrate . Good bacteria needs a ammonia source to keep good bacteria colonizing.. So ya basically it will cycle your tank if that's what you want to call it.
    All is good here, just be careful not to confuse the term "cycle" .
    Cycling is commonly known as activating the bacterial colony and fueling a reproductive environment for them until they reach a population capable of consuming the amount of waste being produced.

The QT should never cycle, Because it already has an established bacterial colony that just proportions itself to the task at hand. That aaid, you still may see an odd ammonia/nitrate reading within the first week while everything balances out.

Dont forget that sponge is a one time use then in the trash. Followed by QT CLEANOUT before next fish.
    Heres a good read
    An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com
    And another
    Tank Cleanup Procedures
    Josh,
    SW 40g tall FOWLR http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/...tml#post666037
    FW 65g S.American Cichlids
    Hybrid Paludarium Project http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/...aludarium.html
    Other Critters here http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g4...ayzy/Critters/
    Dont complain about anything until you change 25 % every 2 weeks !
    Thank you everyone for making mistakes for me!! If you can relate.... your welcome.

Thread Information