Quantcast
Acropora care

Become a Sponsor Our Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acropora care

Acropora care

hello i typed acropora in search funtion and didnt see any strict info on care.
    Im very interested in a small Acro section in my tank and would like to know what i need to do...

edit i thought there was a my tank link here :S

i have a 65aga overflow tank,tidepool2 filter with some bio-chem stars in the bottom, a berlin skimmer in the sump,coralife metal halide,110-130 lbs of rock.
    I only check nitrates too btw,id like to start checkin other params but the lfs says no need :S however everything is going great its probbly been running for 6+months now(time to change the bulbs soon!)

Re: Acropora care

strong light, good flow and an established tank.

~Welcome to my nightmare~
    I think you're gonna like it
    I think you're gonna feel you belong.
    A walk to vacation,
    A necessary sedation,
    You wanna feel at home cause' you belong.

*Disclaimer*
    i say this as my best advice to a beginner. do not,,,and i repeat,,,,,DO NOT look at my tank as an example....i have a well practised eye, decades of experience, and a trunkload of failures to allow me to force the issue and get away with things most cannot~
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphibious View Post
    I couldn't agree more on your statement above. With 61 yrs in the hobby, the last 41 yrs in the saltwater end exclusively, I, too, can do things that others should NOT.

The Wand Geek was here. ;) Woodstock's Avatar

Also good calcium, magnesium and alkalinity levels.

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters

i saw some posts about people feeding them... is this neccessary? i pour rotifers in my tank maybe 2x a week for the other corals.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodstock
    Also good calcium, magnesium and alkalinity levels.

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters
    Ditto ^^^
    Maintaining a balance can be very difficult you must test regularly to make sure these elements are at the proper levels. What are you using to maintain your cal/alk/Mag ? Are you using kalkwasser ? You should also keep your nitrates low. AFA food you don't need to target feed them but as Witfull mentioned proper lighting is essential.
    Robert

My Cube

“A spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe—a spirit vastly superior to that of man, and one in the face of which we with our modest powers must feel humble.” Albert Einstein

i think im good on lighting,its a 150w i believe coralife MH 36" and i dont check those other things i assumed a weekly water change(15 gallons) would take care of that,however im going to start adding kent's esential elements, and i use kents calcium buffer techA&B (2 part stuff) weekly.

my nitrates are always good,it never shows in a test...always yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna
    i think im good on lighting,its a 150w i believe coralife MH 36" and i dont check those other things i assumed a weekly water change(15 gallons) would take care of that,however im going to start adding kent's esential elements, and i use kents calcium buffer techA&B (2 part stuff) weekly.

my nitrates are always good,it never shows in a test...always yellow.
    With SPS and Clams your calcium levels will quickly be depleted so you have to test regularly and dose as necessary, also keep in mind that if adding a 2Part cal/alk additive if your not testing your levels your tank could easily become unbalanced. IMO/E I would drip kalk daily and use a 2 part only when necessary or get a Calcium Reactor.
    Robert

My Cube

“A spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe—a spirit vastly superior to that of man, and one in the face of which we with our modest powers must feel humble.” Albert Einstein

150 watts on a 65 gallon wont be enough for acros..they will need 7 watts per gallon and up...sorry
    265 Gallon Reef built into basement wall. Lighting = 6x250 watts MH, 2x96 watt PC ,and 2x140 watt VHO for a total watt of 1,972 watts . New addition on 4-14-07 of 100 gallon sump and 100 gallon refugium. I think I have lost my mind. Gotta love this hobby Vicki

Life is like a pathway of untrodden snow. Be careful how you step in it for every mark will show

Definition of FRIENDSHIP: All lives touch other lives to create something new and alive

My tank chronicles. http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/...wall-reef.html

Quote Originally Posted by blue_eyes53813
    150 watts on a 65 gallon wont be enough for acros..they will need 7 watts per gallon and up...sorry
    thats good info,thanks...i wonder if i can retro my fixture?

*goes to search for calcium reactor*

Quote Originally Posted by blue_eyes53813
    That really depends on how tall the tank is. Is it a single bulb Tuna ? If the tank is 20" or less then a couple of 150w would be enough. IMO the WPG rule leaves alot to be desired,
    Robert

My Cube

i have 1 MH bulb and 2 actinics also 2 lunar...but I can place corals 9 in from the bulb (9" from the corals bottom that is) however there is a plastic brace in the way of the light which i really want to remove but am very scared to do. ill find a pic. even with the slight blockage everything is doing awesome all corals are getting very big and reproducing coraline and various macroalgea grows like crazy.

these are old pics and since then ive cut a 1/2in wide slot in the brace
    Attached Images Attached Images

aqueus Typicus Alloticus lcstorc's Avatar

Is the brace you mention across the top of the tank? If so be very very careful and IMO leave it alone. It can be a pain I know, but it is structural and helps to hold the tank together. I have heard stories of people removing the brace and then the glass bows out on the side unitl the seals give.
    Sorry to sound paranoid. Lots of people around who can add more info, but when I even mentioned removing mine some far more knowledgable friends stopped me fast.
    If it is a different brace then just ignore everything I just said. LOL

Your tank looks nice. You have some great looking aquascape there. Hope to see more pics soon.
    Peace
    LYNN

Lynn and Franks saltwater adventure
    Lynn's 20g clown tank
    Lynn's 90g of sunshine
    Lynn's frag tank experiment

A reef tank is like a race car. The faster you go the harder you crash

I would not remove the brace!
    We had a 46g bow front that the brace broke on last year and you would not believe how far out the tank bowed! We rushed out and bought another tank before it gave.

its a shame things change in the years... My dad has a 90g tank from 1993 and no brace on them... They just made the tanks better... Thicker glass and such..

But acros are a great thing to get in frags.. It is so fun to watch them grow..
    Billyr98

- I'm BACK!! -

Quote Originally Posted by Gina
    I would not remove the brace!
    We had a 46g bow front that the brace broke on last year and you would not believe how far out the tank bowed! We rushed out and bought another tank before it gave.

it broke!!! omg! thats why i left it there but just opened up the center so there wouldnt be that uglt shadow in the middle...ill take a few more pics

heres a more recent tank shot...i cant aquascape for nothing
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tuna; 08-06-2006 at 04:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information