Quantcast
Tank Busted a Seam Friday Night

Become a Sponsor Our Sponsors

Thread: Tank Busted a Seam Friday Night

Limpet

Tank Busted a Seam Friday Night

Well, Friday Night my 45 gallon Hex busted a seam and started shooting water 4 feet into my living room. It was quite a horrifying site. Luckily I had a few people there to help, had one person hold in on the sides to slow the leak while I siphoned water, pulled out live rock into rubber maid containers, caught fish and moved corals. Currently most of it is in rubber maid containers and most of the fish are crammed into a 10 gallon that I had luckily up and running for a QT tank. Needless to say the fish aren't happy but they are still alive and fairly healthy. The other thing I am worried about is my Nem. I then spent a majority of the weekend hitting up local fish stores and craigslist. Luckily, late sunday night I found a great deal on a 55 gallon acrylic, with stand, hood, overflow, return pump and some other miscellaneous goodies. 35 bucks! So, I am now in the process of rebuilding and will be adding water, etc tonight. I never thought this would happen to me, but unfortunately it did. However, I am just thankful I was home when it happened.
    Last edited by knapp870; 05-16-2011 at 09:34 AM. Reason: misspell
    55 gallon acrylic, 30 gallon sump, Coral life super skimmer, 2 x 250 watt Radium bulbs, Reef Angel controller, live rock, caribsea aragonite live sand, koralia pumps, 1 gold stripe maroon clown, 1 green bubble tip anemone(hosting), borneo cardinal, 1 hippo tang, blue leg hermits, astreas, margaritas, emerald crab, nerites, yellow starburst polyps ,pulsing xenia, several types of zoas, pink acro, red planets, frogspawn, torch coral, sun coral, duncans, rainbow monti, orange monti, sunset monti, Kenya tree, plate coral, couple leathers, big fuzzy shroom. In sump, chaeto, sand, rock, halimeda.

Re: Tank Busted a Seam Friday Night

Wow very lucky (for such an unlucky event) indeed! Good thing you acted fast and had containers available. Start a new thread and keep us posted on the rebuild!
    Robzilla's 55 gallon reef tank with 3W CREE LED lighting
    Bare bottom with LR only
    Vortech MP10 ES, Koralia Evo 750
    38gal sump/fuge with Eshopps PF300 overflow, ASM G1 skimmer, Phosban 150, and Eheim 1000 return pump

Fish: Melanurus Wrasse (male)
    Coral: Caulastrea, Chalice, Mushroom & Ricordea, Zoas/Palys, Torch/Frogspawn, Favia, Acro & Millies, Birdsnest, Monti Cap & Digi
    CUC: Mexican Turbo Snails, Dwarf Ceriths, Nassarius, Florida Ceriths, Large & Small Nerites

"Rob just be careful to not "over complicate" things. A reef tank can be like a fresh cow pile... The more you handle it the stinkier it gets. Sometimes they do better when we observe without touching." - Al

Great response to a potential disaster!
    My 120

Nature applies to us all, I don't care how good you may "think" you are

Limpet

Thanks! My tank had been up for about 3 years and I was really wanting to upgrade larger, however this kind of forced my hand. Unfortunately I didn't get the 75 gallon that I would have preferred, but I still got an upgrade, plus with the overflow that came with it, I can now finally build a sump/refugium combo that I had always wanted but couldnt under the hex due to size restrictions.
    55 gallon acrylic, 30 gallon sump, Coral life super skimmer, 2 x 250 watt Radium bulbs, Reef Angel controller, live rock, caribsea aragonite live sand, koralia pumps, 1 gold stripe maroon clown, 1 green bubble tip anemone(hosting), borneo cardinal, 1 hippo tang, blue leg hermits, astreas, margaritas, emerald crab, nerites, yellow starburst polyps ,pulsing xenia, several types of zoas, pink acro, red planets, frogspawn, torch coral, sun coral, duncans, rainbow monti, orange monti, sunset monti, Kenya tree, plate coral, couple leathers, big fuzzy shroom. In sump, chaeto, sand, rock, halimeda.

Very sorry to hear about the hex. But, it sounds like you're making the best of what was a terrible situation.
    aka Terry
    Excellence in reefkeeping is achieved by mastering the fundamentals, and learning from mistakes.
    34g Red Sea Max 130 (April 07), ~50-60 lbs. live rock. Lighting: Sol Super Blue LED with AI controller. Vortech MP10ES & battery backup, LifeReef Siphon, Sump, SWC Extreme 120 cone skimmer, Tunze Osmolator ATO, ReefKeeper Lite L3 controller

Reefmack's RSM 130 and...Red Sea Max Owners Club

Best of luck to you.

Wow! So glad you was home for this. Shame you didn't get some VIDEO but I guess shooting VID wasn't high on your priority list at the time of the incident. Good luck with the move

"Let us help you Geek Your Reef"
    www.ReefBytes.com

> > > >Read ME < < < < when you're in need of answers or help with your tank.

Take nothing from the sea unless it is plentiful.

Egg-Crate SUX
    Quote Originally Posted by Setragni View Post
    Having a reef tank is more about keeping water than fish or corals.
    Nitrate (NO3) reduction is directly proportional to percentage of Water Change.

Ask me about how to increase your REEF budget without going without FOOD!!

Big Al's 10g....Retired BigAl's Slow 90g Tank Chronicle.... Retired

Allens OFFICE 12g Nano-Reef....

2013 LED Upgrade from StevesLED for the NanoCube 12g

and the latest member of my WET family is . . .
    BigAl's Mountain Reef RSM 130D - 2/2011

Limpet

HAHAHA! Ya, I wish I would have snapped a pic of the horizontal geyser, however I think my buddy have have gotten a pic or two, I'll have to see and post. Thanks Al!

Thread Information