Quantcast
Chemi-Pure in Phosban Reactor...

Become a Sponsor Our Sponsors

Thread: Chemi-Pure in Phosban Reactor...

Chemi-Pure in Phosban Reactor...

On the back of the Chemi-Pure container it states that the product shouldn’t be taken out of the mesh bag it comes in. I would like to use the Chemi-Pure in my TLF Phosban Reactor but was concerned because the container recommends that the media stays in bag.

Do you see any issues with removing it from the bag and using in the reactor?

God bless,
    Disciple

Re: Chemi-Pure in Phosban Reactor...

You can make a small hole to push the reactors reverse flow tube through. Keep it in the bag.
    My current thread,
    http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/...-build-17.html
    If we ignore the environment
    maybe it will just go away....

The problem that comes to mind is that ChemiPure is very light weight and may be blown out of the reactor. If you're going to do it, set up in the sink with RO/DI so that you can experiment with the flow. Low flow is going to be necessary.
    Scott

Dentoid's Reeforama

Quote Originally Posted by rlcline76 View Post
    I assure you there are nastier body parts one could put in a tank.

I think I can get it in the reactor without poking holes in the bag. I was going to run it with the phosphate removal media in the same reactor. Maybe I can somehow suspend the chemi pure above the phosban.

What's the gellatinous stuff in the chem-pure anyway? Is that why you shouldn't take it out of the mesh bag?

Thanks guys and God bless,
    Disciple

Woah! I didn't know this was a gel. I would not put that in the reactor. Tomorrow i will be going to a lfs to pick up my ca++ reactor so i will check this stuff out.
    My current thread,
    http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/...-build-17.html
    If we ignore the environment
    maybe it will just go away....

It's a gel/carbon mix. The gel is somewhat damp when it comes out of the container. I have been using it for a while, just not in a reactor.

God Bless,
    Disciple
    Job 11:13-20

The Wand Geek was here. ;) Woodstock's Avatar

I have never used chemipure so I do not know if it is too small or not.
    Two Little Fishes phosban reactors have a sponge screen prior to and after the media so depending on the size of the chemi-pure, it may or may not be okay inside the reactor.
    ~Doni Marie~

GOT ICH???
    My Victorious Battle with ICH
    120 Reef Chronicle ~
    60 Gallon Snowcasso cube
    Breeding Picasso Clownfish~
    Picasso & Snowcasso for sale~

"Energy and persistance conquer all things." Benjamin Franklin
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

Here's what a website says about the resin in the chemi pure:

"You do not have to worry about Chemi-pure removing trace elements and being a problem. Chemi-pure does contain some carbon and will remove trace amounts of some elements, but not to the extent where you would see any significant effects on any levels in your aquarium...

...The ionic exchange resins used in Chemi-Pure, are designed for a specific purpose. They exchange with the alkali excess from the extremely strong activated carbons used in Chemi-Pure and produce a majority of negatively charged electrons (ions). They remove excess acids and replace them, in effect, with a time-release alkali. They also remove ammonia, but only the excess beyond that which will promote nitrification..."

The article states that if the media is removed from the bag, the absorbtion capacity of the resin/carbon is diminished (the whole is greater than the sum of its parts). They also claim that this stuff maintains the ionic balance of the aquarium and the advantages of doing so. Here's the link if you want to read the whole article.

https://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewI...s~vendor~.html

God bless,
    Disciple
    Job 11:13-20

Tunicate

I have been using chemipure (without the mesh bag) on my phosban reactor 150 for about 3 months, and it has worked better than simply dropping the mesh bag in the sump. Before adding it to the reactor, my sump would literally smell like caca lol. Now that the chemipure is in the reactor without the mesh bag, my tank has no smell to it whatsoever and the water is crystal clear blue.

Do keep one thing in mind if you are going to try this, I recommend you add the chemipure without the mesh bag to one reactor "only" and regulate the waterflow so that the top of the media dances a bit just like if adding phosban or rowaphos. If you want to use rowaphos or phosban, use a seperate reactor. I run 2 phosban 150's on my system, one with the chemipure and the other with rowaphos and I must say, I clean the glass once every 2 weeks or so with the use of both combinations.

I don't use it now but have (CPE) in the past in a Phosban reactor without the bags. CPE is Carbon (Black) and Ferric Oxide (Brown) mix. Mine never looked like gel. What I found was flow plays a big part on how long it last in the reactor. You want just enough flow into the reactor to make the material move. If you hit it hard, in a far shorter time the material hitting each other break down and you have a very fine power that gets thru the foam filters on either side of the reactor and it's a mess to clean. Good luck!
    Tom

RSM 250 Jan 2009 .... Tank cracked Feb 2012 "RIP"

Tom's RSM 250

aqueus Typicus Alloticus nanoreefing4fun's Avatar

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
    ~ Red Sea Max 130D and RSM 250 ~

Glenn's Reef 130 Glenn's Reef 250

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Thread Information