Quantcast
seachem paraguard

Become a Sponsor Our Sponsors

Thread: seachem paraguard

Tunicate

seachem paraguard

Has any one ever used it before? How well does it work? Does it do any good on ick,and what side effects does it have to fish and the tank?

Reef Shark

Re: seachem paraguard

I take it you are asking this question because you have an outbreak of SW ich in you system. If this is the case, I highly recommend that you consult the sticky threads on treatment of this disease here - http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/...es-treatments/

Some very important items to remember -

Never, ever medicate a reef system to treat a fish disease.

No matter what the LFS says, no matter what it says on the bottle or package, no matter what someone else may tell you, in my opinion there are no "reef safe" treatments that are effective against fish diseases.

Always treat in a quarantine tank. Although, if you are treating a different disease, you might use a different medication.

Just so everyone is clear on this, I shall repeat this advice -

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard Boomer's Avatar

Well put Dave, I could not agree more.
    Boomer

Want to Talk Chemistry ! The Reef Chemistry Forum

Want to See More ! The Coral Realm

If you See Me Running You Better Catch-Up

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post

A local LFS just did this to a friend of mine. The bottle says its ok, so it's ok. Unfortunately I wasn't available to tell them otherwise till it was too late.
    Reefing off and on since '92

BigJay's Oceanic 90g bowfront chronicle

See my pyrex products and target feeders here

consider the source of the information you receive.

Tunicate

I am doing two things. I did have ick in my dt but now the fish that is left are fine. I have a qt tank set up and plan on keeping my dt empty for 10 weeks.
    I want to treat them with out any harm to the fish. I have some sensitive fish
    like wrasses and tangs. I also have new fish in qt holding with nothing in the water now and like to treat them all at once. My qt tank is big to hold them
    all. It is a 110g tank

Tunicate

I am doing two things. I did have ick in my dt but now the fish that is left are fine. I have a qt tank set up and plan on keeping my dt empty for 10 weeks.
    I want to treat them with out any harm to the fish. I have some sensitive fish
    like wrasses and tangs. I also have new fish in qt holding with nothing in the water now and like to treat them all at once. My qt tank is big to hold them
    all. It is a 110g tank

Reef Shark

I'm delighted to see that you are using a quarantine tank and doing the process for 10 weeks.

If you note the sticky articles, mostly by leebca, the two treatments for the disease that actually work almost all the time are hyposalinity, and copper. I would go with hyposalinity first, since, when done carefully, it puts the least stress on the fish. If that doesn't work, you can then use copper. However, never treat with hyposalinity and copper at the same time.

Acropora

This sort of statement concerns me:
    I did have ick in my dt but now the fish that is left are fine.
    Does this mean the fish in there were treated and now cured, or just that they didn't display any signs of Marine Ich, although the other fishes did? Is there some other meaning that I don't get?

LEE

Tunicate

My fish in my dt are not showing signs of ick now. I am getting ready to treat them soon. I am putting new an old fish together to treat them all at one. The new fish in my qt look fine as of now,but I dont whant to take a chance on having a problem. I thought that paraguard will be less harmfull since that none of them have any signs of ick. Since I am going through the truble of no fish in my dt for 10 weeks. Do you think that it will kill ick just as good as cupramine.

Acropora

The short answer to your question is, "No." There are no short cuts or easy methods. There are no known consistent curative methods other than the basic three, without prescriptions or being a vet.

You should read closely the link given in: Curing Fish of Marine Ich to the post: Marine Ich - Myths and Facts found in items 4. and 6. under the Treatments section.
    LEE

Tunicate

I am not looking for a short cut. I pland on doing cupermine but I was worried about my wrasses and tang being sensitive to copper. I thought that paraguard would be another option to try. It is listed on the bottle that it treats ick,just wondering if it is any good. Since I dont have any out breaks,I thought I mite be less stressfull and work better than with a out break of ick. If it no good for ick,I will do copper or think about hypo since it is a proven fact that those treatment works.

Acropora

As I wrote in the post on Copper: Copper - Treatment, Use, Problems Cupramine is safe for ALL fishes and for some marine life that are not classified as a fish.

LEE

Tunicate

I do whant to thank you for help. I will do cupermine treatment and know that it is safe. I was just exporing all options because I did not want to loose fish. I have all the stuff needed, like kits to test for copper. I have the seachems ammo alert to quickly moniter it. I am also ready to do quick water changes just in case. I was just nervouse about it. Reading all the articals on treating fish did help out.

Acropora

Glad you found something of value in the stickies. Good luck!
    LEE

Thread Information