Quantcast
Caveat emptor - "Let the buyer beware"... just a reminder

Become a Sponsor Our Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Caveat emptor - "Let the buyer beware"... just a reminder

aqueus Typicus Alloticus nanoreefing4fun's Avatar

Caveat emptor - "Let the buyer beware"... just a reminder

Just a reminder to all RS members buying from other members...

"Caveat emptor" when sending funds to new members on "deals that sound too good to be true".

Let the buyer beware...Prov. Cliché When you buy something, you must take precautions against being cheated, because you cannot trust everyone to be honest about what they sell

If a deal "sound to good to be true, it almost always is, anyone can always ebay items and get fair value, so any member here you don't know, selling on RS a deal that sounds "too good to be true" it probably is - remember - Let the buyer beware...
    ~ Red Sea Max 130D and RSM 250 ~

Glenn's Reef 130 Glenn's Reef 250

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Re: Caveat emptor - "Let the buyer beware"... just a reminder

very good sticky Glenn.it can happen to any of us.im dealing with it right now.seller answered all pms prompt and was forthcoming with info.after payment was sent,all communication stopped.i should have really known better as im definitely no newbie when it comes to forum buying but the deal was truly too good to pass up.when the seller seemed to be legit,i pulled the trigger.but honestly,in all my years in reefing,this was the first time ive been burned on a deal.us reefers, as a whole ,are pretty honest,trustworthy folks.i will not let this jade my opinion,ill just be much more weary of dealings with people i dont know.
    just as Glenn said,if it sounds too good to be true,it usually is.
    120gal SPS Reef, Starphirre Euro braced,Super Reef Octopus 2000 EXT skimmer,Eheim 1262 return,DIY 120 Dimmable Cree 3w LEDs ,2xMP40W es,MP10W es,50gal MRC sump,Reeftek 12" calcium reactor,SRO Bio Pellet reactor with WM Ecobak BP,Reefkeeper Elite
    Reggie
    "arguing with a fool only proves there are two"

Just my .02

Nothing against new folks, but when buying always take into consideration, RS member history. A member who has a vested interest in RS (has been around awhile and contributing information and input, or asking for advice) is probably a safer bet than someone who has just joined and made the minimum posts to sell something. If I were a new member, selling to a veteran member, I would totally understand some healthy scepticism on the buyers part, and do my best to accomodate that buyer.
    nanoreefing4fun and Oxylebius like this.
    Steve

Steve's 250 Gallon

250 Gallon Deep Dimension, Started 4/28/11, AI SOL Super Blue 4 modules, 50 gallon acrylic sump, 2X Reeflo Super Dart Gold return pumps, Emperor Aquatics 50W HO UV sterilizer,GHL Profilux 3.1NEX Controller, 2X Vortech MP40WES w/battery backup, GHL Profilux 4 channel dosing pump, JBJ Arctica 1/3hp chiller, Rena 300W smart heater ,Tunze Osmolator ATO, Reef Octopus BR110 Biopellet reactor, Reef Octopus MF 2000 media reactor for GAC, i-Tech 400 cone Skimmer, 2X Mocean 2000, 1" Sea Swirl, 160lbs Samoa pink #0 sand, 200+ lbs of live rock Closed 1/13/13

I like this thread It's words of wisdom

Just for the record... the "Min # of posts" etc is in place to protect our members. I can assure you that everyone on staff here at RS is working day and night (some of them BOTH LOL) to do everything we can to protect each and every one of our members.

"Let us help you Geek Your Reef"
    www.ReefBytes.com

> > > >Read ME < < < < when you're in need of answers or help with your tank.

Take nothing from the sea unless it is plentiful.

Egg-Crate SUX
    Quote Originally Posted by Setragni View Post
    Having a reef tank is more about keeping water than fish or corals.
    Nitrate (NO3) reduction is directly proportional to percentage of Water Change.

Ask me about how to increase your REEF budget without going without FOOD!!

Big Al's 10g....Retired BigAl's Slow 90g Tank Chronicle.... Retired

Allens OFFICE 12g Nano-Reef....

2013 LED Upgrade from StevesLED for the NanoCube 12g

and the latest member of my WET family is . . .
    BigAl's Mountain Reef RSM 130D - 2/2011

Someone should create an online third party "distribution" center where an item could be shipped and verified by a reputable insured company and they would in turn ship the item once the buyer makes payment. Would cost a little more to the transaction, but for bigger ticket items might be worth it. Could be used for forum, craigslist, eBay or any online buying from individuals. Just brainstorming. You see people get burned from time to time on forums. Pretty lame.

Nobody steal my million $$$ idea!!!

Reef Shark

Quote Originally Posted by Singlefin View Post
    Someone should create an online third party "distribution" center where an item could be shipped and verified by a reputable insured company and they would in turn ship the item once the buyer makes payment. Would cost a little more to the transaction, but for bigger ticket items might be worth it. Could be used for forum, craigslist, eBay or any online buying from individuals. Just brainstorming. You see people get burned from time to time on forums. Pretty lame.
    This has been tried before. Even with doing that, it's real easy to have problems. FIrst off, the "distribution center" could also be a front for the seller. Second, what happens if the seller ships a defective product a wrong or junk product?

In my opinion, if your getting something really expensive, get it from a real dealer, and use a credit card. That way you can have your credit card company charge the vendor back id there is an issue.

By the way, there are some forums that just don't permit links to ebay or paypal because they compete with paying sponsors, and because they are noted for having problems.

i really want to thank the entire RS staff for all the help.it really means a lot to know you guys have my back.a BIG thank you to Allen who has been on phone contact with me through the whole process[even at 7 am!]thanks again Al!just one more reason why RS is the best forum on the net!
    i am usually a lot more apprehensive about internet deals and i was pretty sure this was legit.i hope this thread and my experience help someone else from being the victim of similar circumstances.like i said,im no newbie to reef related forum sales and have bought at least 50 times,but being anxious and naive caught up with me on this one!a dispute with paypal has been opened so im sure ill get my money back.
    120gal SPS Reef, Starphirre Euro braced,Super Reef Octopus 2000 EXT skimmer,Eheim 1262 return,DIY 120 Dimmable Cree 3w LEDs ,2xMP40W es,MP10W es,50gal MRC sump,Reeftek 12" calcium reactor,SRO Bio Pellet reactor with WM Ecobak BP,Reefkeeper Elite
    Reggie
    "arguing with a fool only proves there are two"

steved13 likes this.

Has been struck by the ban stick
    Quote Originally Posted by nanoreefing4fun View Post

And if u order now!!!!!

.............its calibrate ur hydrometer month. no not really but Sheez its important.
    BigAl07 and nanoreefing4fun like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dmatt88 View Post
    And if u order now!!!!!

.............its calibrate ur hydrometer month. no not really but Sheez its important.
    LOL!

Thanks for the reminder Glenn! We all need to keep this in mind... better safe than sorry
    nanoreefing4fun likes this.

www.ReefBytes.com

Egg-Crate SUX

BigAl07 and nanoreefing4fun like this.
    Steve

Steve's 250 Gallon

250 Gallon Deep Dimension, Started 4/28/11, AI SOL Super Blue 4 modules, 50 gallon acrylic sump, 2X Reeflo Super Dart Gold return pumps, Emperor Aquatics 50W HO UV sterilizer,GHL Profilux 3.1NEX Controller, 2X Vortech MP40WES w/battery backup, GHL Profilux 4 channel dosing pump, JBJ Arctica 1/3hp chiller, Rena 300W smart heater ,Tunze Osmolator ATO, Reef Octopus BR110 Biopellet reactor, Reef Octopus MF 2000 media reactor for GAC, i-Tech 400 cone Skimmer, 2X Mocean 2000, 1" Sea Swirl, 160lbs Samoa pink #0 sand, 200+ lbs of live rock Closed 1/13/13

Just a reminder to all RS members buying from other members...

"Caveat emptor" when sending funds to new members on "deals that sound too good to be true".

Let the buyer beware...Prov. Cliché When you buy something, you must take precautions against being cheated, because you cannot trust everyone to be honest about what they sell

If a deal "sound to good to be true, it almost always is, anyone can always ebay items and get fair value, so any member here you don't know, selling on RS a deal that sounds "too good to be true" it probably is - remember - Let the buyer beware...
    BigAl07 likes this.

This is a VERY important thread start to finish but there are some points that need to be "re-bumped" so that we're all on the same level here new or old. . .

Quote Originally Posted by steved13 View Post
    Just my .02

Nothing against new folks, but when buying always take into consideration, RS member history. A member who has a vested interest in RS (has been around awhile and contributing information and input, or asking for advice) is probably a safer bet than someone who has just joined and made the minimum posts to sell something. If I were a new member, selling to a veteran member, I would totally understand some healthy skepticism on the buyers part, and do my best to accommodate that buyer.
    nanoreefing4fun, goma and Mayja like this.

www.ReefBytes.com

Egg-Crate SUX

goma likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information