Quantcast
Problematic Kenya Tree Coral

Become a Sponsor Our Sponsors

Thread: Problematic Kenya Tree Coral

Problematic Kenya Tree Coral

A week ago I purchased a decent sized Kenya Tree, it had two trunks/stems attached to a very small base, so far no matter where I place the coral in the tank it keeps bending over and lying flat, at it's base there is also black stuff, which appears to be some kind of skin/shedding. This is the only coral I am having trouble with, all other corals are fine, ironically it is supposed to be the hardiest and easiest to care for, yet its the one that looks most miserable. I will post some pictures shortly, but in the meantime, some advice and suggestions would be great. Note I tried (high flow/ low flow as well as high light, low light areas) with no luck. It simply won't open up properly.

Thanks
    I understand that I am embarking upon this wonderful hobby of my own volition and therefore, I accept full responsibility for my ultimate success or failure and for the unique organisms entrusted to my care.

Re: Problematic Kenya Tree Coral

Here are a couple of images one with flash the other without after I manually up righted it for a bit.

I understand that I am embarking upon this wonderful hobby of my own volition and therefore, I accept full responsibility for my ultimate success or failure and for the unique organisms entrusted to my care.

The base of the coral does not look like healthy tissue. I might consider cutting the tops off and getting rid of the sick tissue. If you're area is like mine, you can always find someone giving away Kenya trees or selling it real cheap.

Sent from John's Tapatalk
    -John 'whippetguy' http://dropc.am/p/pvC0DO currently on deck

RRMAS Secretary
    RSM 250: Tunze Osmolator ATO, Vortech MP10w, LifeReef sump/refugium/skimmer, JBJ 1/4hp chiller, IM Mini-Max biopellet reactor
    Livestock: 2 black clowns, starry blenny, candy cane hogfish, yellowtail reef chromis, rbta, chalk bass
    Coral: primary LPS and softies, a few sps
    Cadlights 50g: Super Reef Octopus 1000LSS skimmer, IM biopellet reactor, Autoaqua ATO, Radion LED
    Livestock: clownfish, tailspot blenny, yellow wrasse, yellow lined goby, tiger pistol shrimp, African flameback angel
    27g FW Planted: Neon tetras, Red Cheek tetra, large mystery snail Plants: Anubias nana, Amazon swords, water wisteria

That's Whippet guys, so I literally cut it off from its base? and if so how would I re-attach it to a base rock?

I questioned the base at the store and I was told that it was simply shedding it's skin. I have had this coral for about a week in the tank, but as mentioned it cannot stay upright.

cut the trees off the decaying tissue, and put the pieces in a glass/plastic bowl with some rubble and a mesh net over it, leave it in the tank for a 2-4 weeks. Its a soft coral like mushrooms. it will re attach on its own.
    Its been Estimated 1 in 4 Americans has some form of mental instability. Look at your 3 closest friends, if they seem alright, YOU ARE THE ONE!

Ignorance can be Educated, Insanity can be Medicated, but there's no cure for STUPID.

Never blame on Malice that which can be simply explained by Stupidity.

+1 to what dd said

RRMAS Secretary
    RSM 250: Tunze Osmolator ATO, Vortech MP10w, LifeReef sump/refugium/skimmer, JBJ 1/4hp chiller, IM Mini-Max biopellet reactor
    Livestock: 2 black clowns, starry blenny, candy cane hogfish, yellowtail reef chromis, rbta, chalk bass
    Cadlights 50g: Super Reef Octopus 1000LSS skimmer, IM biopellet reactor, Autoaqua ATO, Radion LED
    Livestock: clownfish, tailspot blenny, yellow wrasse, yellow lined goby, tiger pistol shrimp, African flameback angel
    27g FW Planted: Neon tetras, Red Cheek tetra, large mystery snail Plants: Anubias nana, Amazon swords, water wisteria

Quote Originally Posted by ddelozier View Post
    cut the trees off the decaying tissue, and put the pieces in a glass/plastic bowl with some rubble and a mesh net over it, leave it in the tank for a 2-4 weeks. Its a soft coral like mushrooms. it will re attach on its own.
    Where exactly do I put the mesh? I have a Quarantine Tank that I moved it into (already cut it off the base), I also have gravel but not rubble, I have some live rock that I can break up though if needs be.

put it in a glass or plastic bowl with some rubble(rocks the size of a quarter or golfball) Put the mesh over the bowl to keep the tank flow from blowing the pieces of coral out of the bowl. They need water and light, but they need calm water so they can attach to the rocks or mesh to keep them in the bowl with the rocks.
    Its been Estimated 1 in 4 Americans has some form of mental instability. Look at your 3 closest friends, if they seem alright, YOU ARE THE ONE!

Ignorance can be Educated, Insanity can be Medicated, but there's no cure for STUPID.

Never blame on Malice that which can be simply explained by Stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by ddelozier View Post
    put it in a glass or plastic bowl with some rubble(rocks the size of a quarter or golfball) Put the mesh over the bowl to keep the tank flow from blowing the pieces of coral out of the bowl. They need water and light, but they need calm water so they can attach to the rocks or mesh to keep them in the bowl with the rocks.
    Great thanks, all set up as instructed, hopefully it will recover.

Sea Pen

What I do for kenya tree's is to pierce the bottom of the trunk with a plastic toothpick, secure the toothpick with rubber bands to the rock you want it attached to, leave it for 2 weeks, remove elastics and toothpicks and voila kenya tree is attached.

Just wanted to report back on this, and what solved the problem. I cut off a small piece off the base (unhealthy tissue), allowed it 2 weeks to recover in a QT tank just sitting in a bowl with little water movement. I then got some aquascape molding putty and create a base for it by molding the putty over the bottom of the coral stump. From there I transferred the coral into the main tank (putty still workable) and attached the putty to a piece of live rock. The Kenya tree is doing well and opening up fully during the day.

Glad it's coming back for you.

RRMAS Secretary

Thread Information