Zoas Question

GregD

I have four different Zoas in my tank. I have noticed that one has had a decrease in growth and thought it might be due to the location of my power head (directly above)and possibly to much current.
At closer inspection tonight, I am now seeing a decrease in all four. All other corals appear to be happy and full. Just completed a full battery of test to discover my calcium level to be low @ 350ppm.
Also found my salinity level slightly out of range at 1.022. I purchase my salt water from my local reef store and always maintain a level 1.024.
made a minor adjustment to the calcium level with additives and added some salt water pre mixed to boost salinity as well.

Could these two items be the cause of my wilting Zaos? If not please give me your advise as I don't want them to continue to struggle along.

Thanks
GregD

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
You bet that can cause issues. Slowly get the salinity back to 26. They r resilient little dudes.

,.......don't believe this matt guy

GregD

Well, while trying putting two and two together, I thought that perhaps the cause of my shrinking corals may be related to the out break of red slime algae.
I purchased new bulbs on my way home tonight at the LFS. Replaced and holy crap its like night and day.
Has anybody else noticed their bulbs fading in as little time as 5 months? is this normal or did i get a bum set of bulbs?

There may be LEDs in my future if this is a going to be a three time a year replacement.

GregD

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
I get almost 12 months from bulbs. What type u get

,.......don't believe this matt guy

GregD

Went with the stock OEM/RSM T5. They are much brighter than the 5 month old bulbs. My Galaxia responded almost immediately once the new bulbs were turned on.
This by the time i posted last evening about the Zoas wilting, i found that the galaxia and my Ric were just about closed. The bulb change was a knee jerk reaction as i felt i had to do something fast. I hope to see a continued response by the Zoas when i get home Weds night.
It will be interesting to see how the Red Slime reacts to new light as well.

GregD

Seems that way. At 50.00 per change i hope to get 12 months out of this set. If not, i may have to invest in a nice LED replacement.
Just have to explain to the wife that the corals are suffering and i just had to make the purchase.

catran

I change my stock bulbs every 8-10 months...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GregD

Cantran,
Interesting..... Do you see a decrease in coral growth before you change the bulbs or do you change them hap-hazardly to prevent tank issues?

I have had a few things that i can not explain over the last 30days. red slime algea, brown algea and the corals are not opening to thier previous appearance.
I hope the lights will correct all of the above.

GregD

Quick up date on the condition os my corals.
I have since changes the bulbs and raised the salinity to 1.025. The light made quite a difference in the tank. All four Zoas have responded and look better every day.

On another note the new Tunzi 9002 skimmer is really starting to produce some skimmate. It is not as quite as the stock skimmer with the pill bottle type mod. But it is at and acceptable range. The addition of the media rack has increase the flow over my filter floss. It is shocking to see how much debris is picked up daily.
Now i have to see it the Red Slime starts to go away.

GregD

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Good new Greg thanks for sharing
1055.gif

On another note the new Tunzi 9002 skimmer is really starting to produce some skimmate. It is not as quite as the stock skimmer with the pill bottle type mod

after reading this I thought... wow... the pill bottle silencer must really work well

GregD

I copied someones idea about using PVC pipe and fittings. It was so quite that you had to check to see it is still was operating.
Like i stated the Tunzi is quite, just not as quiet.

catran

Cantran,
Interesting..... Do you see a decrease in coral growth before you change the bulbs or do you change them hap-hazardly to prevent tank issues?

I have had a few things that i can not explain over the last 30days. red slime algea, brown algea and the corals are not opening to thier previous appearance.
I hope the lights will correct all of the above.

I believe in preventative maintenance. I'll change them before I have problems... At one time, my frag tank kept getting cyano because of an old bulb issue. I believed the guy I bought the MH fixture from when he told me the bulb was only a couple of months old. Never again, the cost of a crash with all my zoas is much more costly than bulbs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

GregD

I have adopted your preventive maint plan. One of the Zaos is having difficulty recovering from the light issue.
I will plan to replace them every 8 months. A lumen meter may be a future purchase.