Zoanthid question Invader or not !!?

Kevz71

I've alway shown more favoritism to the zoanthids I call thems zoa's or zoo's lol , I've had lots in the past and they where amazing! Lost the tank due to a all in one pump/filter/skimmer. If the power went off the filter wouldn't self prim and couldn't start back up with out your help. While off on a job from a week, tank was lost the cool lighting I had over head heated the tank and the home A/C was off and only the window unit was running and it to wouldn't come back on after the power went off and came back on so lost the tank to over heating and pump failure ;( . Since then the home unit stays on! And theres a chiller and a added built in mod fan on the Sea Max got all the T's crossed and the i's dotted lol. Now on to my question in the time I had my first tank Ive seen these little filter feeding tube like growing all over the tank and in my zoo colony, well the very fine spider web like hairs it let out of its tube would touch and irritate the zoos it touched I never bothered to mess with it because I didn't wanna handle the zoo covered rock it was on thought it mite do more harm then good so I let it be. Well since then I have a RSM 130 and after 5 years I went out and got me some zoo frags about 7-10 on one rock and the others wasn't on anything at all and the more I tried to glue them to a rock the more the pods ate them till there's only one rock left or half a clam shell I should say now the prob im seeing is this little filter feeding tube thats formed on the bottom right side of the zoo's , i can see better then most and i do see the fine hairs touching the zoa's and there not happy about it so i didnt give it another thought i clean my hands and arm and reached in and crushed the tube off the clam shell and repositioned the shell and the zoa's are clearly happier !I'm posting this thread to anyone that wants to add there probs with zoo growth or if u just can't get them to live in you'r tank at all. Here are some before and after pics . I do note there many types of pods in my tank 1,000's if not more and they seem to cover the zoa's at night more so then anything else and looks to be separating the zoa's from the shell now are they doing this due to feeding on them or whats under them or rather just trying to get under them ? I've seen bristle worms making holes in the live rock and for that reason I don't like them, and I do note I have the little white star fish that I watch very closely that and I have my tank beside the couch and there about the only thing I can really have for a clean up crew due to a green carpet anemone that will eat anything that touchs him, snails, hermits I will say the star fish have been the best tank clean up in the place of the snails. I've even seen one that got on the zoa's but didn't harm it at all I think it was more less cleaning the shell the zoa's was on and it just crawled over them . But there's lots of green for them to graze on and for the fish to so maybe that's y there not a prob in my tank because there plenty for them to eat . Ok now u know what's in my tank and what I think about all of it , what do u think??! My rule is if it seem to irritate or cause the coral to look poor then it usually the problem other then your water and lighting. Thanks for reading look forward to hearing what everyone else thinks or feels . Bottom line! I wanna keep a happy tank and keep lots more zoo's lol.

Kevz71

d98ad5ca.jpg

steved13

PREMIUM
The tubes are vermitids mostly harmless, except like you're describing they may irritate coral. What you did works fine, or some people super glue the top of the tube. I just break them off like you did.

I'd have to see some pics of the pods, if they're peeling the zoas off that wouldn't be good.

Kevz71

Hey steve , thank you for you'r reply, now these pods are small that I have the copepods I think there fast!!!! But under my led flashlight I can catch them all trying to run away , I will go on to say I have seen the bigger pods eat the unhealthy zoa's they look like the praying mantis ,Amphipods is the name I think

Kevz71

Amp's eat the zoa's I tried to glue, and the cope's are the ones i felt where stripping the zoo's of the shell . I've got a eye for detail. But to rule anything out I repositioned it where the water flows around the shell a little diff ,could get the zoa's to reattach or just over all make them happier, guess I will see, but so far so good. Don't think I'll try to glue anything and put it in my tank within 48 hours anymore note that i did quickly glue and got it in same tank water asap so that the glue didnt burn it . I'll just play the waitin see game till I think there going to take.

Kevz71

Thanks for the other post I've looked over it first thing today and ruled out all pest other then the ones a see and for the ones a cant see Jesus take the wheel! Lol I'll do a quick dip on them if I think that's the case but u never know I can see stuff in there with the led flashlight at 3am that's so small it looks like a black speck moving and u have to hold the light on it a certain way and focus really hard to see it! Lol sea monster ! Wait baby sea monster lol there we go. Lol Hee Hee just kidding.. Maybe