zims 650 LED

salty-zim

Hello everyone,

I guess it's time to open up my tank thread.
It is running since Monday, July 2, 2018 and doing well so far.

After a lot of reading I decided to go with @SPR 's advise and start with Red Sea Program. Until the tank has cycled, I keep rowaphos off, but the equipment is prepared to be used.
So far I have the following accessories installed and running:
  • RSM 650 LED
  • NYOS QUANTUM 160 Skimmer
  • Deltec FR509 for Rowaphos (not in use yet)
  • Deltec UV 39W (not in use yet)
  • Chiller Teco 1000 (ordered and I hope this guy will arrive soon - connectors prepared
  • Ozonizer (installed but not in use yet)
  • Profilux 4 (temp,redox,ph,conductivity, leakage, sump-level)
  • KH Director (just to probe nothing regulating yet)
  • Will change the main return to a Royal Exclusive Speedy 3 80W (8000l/h) soon
I startet off with 80 KG of Caribsea Reef Rocks (40kg Rocks, 20kg Shelf, 20kg Shapes) and 30 kg Sand

a few pics:
ef461fd739629398a0a6f08db37d5f94.jpg
7d96bffc22b93f9043947ad45d61c636.jpg
65c0a16f88624b34e14094c1995f3e11.jpg
f9a820e875ec4dd66b5deb2b441beb90.jpg
660dbf7f3385ed61c3a561de482119f9.jpg
80ed29c9ce20c9a7b9388d1d6df9cafb.jpg
c2b60702a82f358791fa2708a6787367.jpg
ed9b0b75491d60c721c7ca161ade87d1.jpg
4349c2ea381990a66ac21de25e8f020d.jpg

Last edited:

SPR

I posted on the other thread (then spotted this!) so how are you going to cycle it ? Edit, Red Sea Mature got it.

It all looks great so far and it’s interesting to read up on the KH director which looks very useful. If it wasn’t for the fact Apex Trident is coming out, and I run Apex, the KH Director would be in my shopping basket!

I’m actually quiet excited! Lol

Last edited:

salty-zim

I posted on the other thread (then spotted this!) so how are you going to cycle it ? Edit, Red Sea Mature got it.

It all looks great so far and it’s interesting to read up on the KH director which looks very useful. If it wasn’t for the fact Apex Trident is coming out, and I run Apex, the KH Director would be in my shopping basket!

I’m actually quiet excited! Lol

And that’s only a part of my excitement :-D

But I have to confess, during the concrete phase I shortly thought of giving up. Wanted to just throw everything in and let it breed...

But as if today I am pretty proud of the rockwork. Wish I coul have a look 2 years into the future.
As I said: Need more patience...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

salty-zim

Hi guys,

finally some sumpy photos. I tried to put the Dosing pumps into the other part, but as the chiller is coming (hopefully) this week, there will be very limited space. So they ended up in the sump. will see how this works out.

So far the system runs just perfect. Within this one week I had the peaks of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Today I started the deltec with rowaphos.

Something that bothers me is the huge amount of microbubbles from the skimmer. I exchanged the C-Skim against a Nyos Quantum 160 and no matter how I dial it in, there are tons of tiny bubbles.
I thought of seperating the skimmer-chamber from the carbon chamber, so all the water needs to go through the big sump chamber since it seems it‘s mainly going from the skimmer to carbon directly.

Can the warm-up of the skimmer really take so long?
You Rsm650 reefers out there: Any thoughts?
I need more patience!

b5eae3dd8c7592700b5107b9094aacd5.jpg
7b17b8b7409d4106ac8035d06f04a486.jpg
d86d839630790a8e38f612a5178a9d75.jpg
b30e02c9d27594c401cf380edeba679b.jpg

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Last edited:

SPR

Patience! Lol

If your getting micro bubbles from the NYOS, from the pictures it looks like you have the screw on the air input not fully open, so try opening this up fully. That should stop the micro bubbles.

It can take a short period for it to bed in, and generally if it starts over skimming for whatever reason, adjust the main long tube (open it) and close the screw down and then slowly over a period of days open it up. You will notice when it’s closed micro bubbles will start.

It’s just a balancing act but the intention is to have the screw wide open and then balance by opening and closings the main long tube.

I would personally hold off on the Rhowaphos for a while until you get some tank parameters and some bacteria establishment in the system and have it ready for when needed otherwise you may really achieve 0 phosphate which you don’t want. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I seem to recall in the depths of my mind, that cells (bacteria for Example) require a certain amount of phosphate to form so you don’t want to inhibit this by making the water sterile from the start. You do want it low however at around 0.03ppm, but not zero.

I assume as your following the Reef Care program your going to use NoPox, so you may find you can control phosphate with this alone at the start depending on your bio load.

Nobbygas

When I started my tank I had Rowa in a reactor. Got my Phos down to Zero.......and nothing would grow. Took the reactor out and have never put it back in, and my Phos is locked at 0.003.

Reactions: SPR

salty-zim

Uh uh guys,

tiny little algae are starting to grow and I got some bacterial colonies on my glass. Trying hard not to clean them off.
I did a full test yesterday. It reads good (in my view)
Today I just filled the containers with Reef Foundation A, B and C according to the RS receipt and got the stirrers spinning.
Since Shauns advise on the skimmer it produced real gunk for a day or so, but now it seems to have cleared off.

Oh and I had a real no brainer on the air intake for the skimmer. I set up the whole air chain to be ready to be „ozoned“, so I went air dryer - ozonizer - skimmer. During the battle with the skimmer tuning, I realised that I hadn’t taken off the protection cups of the air dryer. Instead I connected the tube to the (always closed) protection cups. So no wonder the skimmer was a bit short on breath.

FTR the test results:
Salinity: 34
ph: 7,9
KH: 8.5
Calcium: 400
Magnesia: 1380

Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 4
Nitrite: 0
Phosphate: 0,012

ORP: 290
Conductivity: 51,90
Temp: 26 C

I am dosing 15ml No3PoX and 12ml Corraline grow per Day.

Patience, young padavan...

8c68af5de76ca6457785338d7305186f.png
c21b2ed1764851740c8aeebf090b7f96.png
2d9cbadc86cc441a2ea79245d51f7dad.png

SPR

That’s all looking very nice so far, very clean and compact. What are the stirrers you mentioned?

Your NoPox dose does seem a bit high though. I only dose around 19ml and I have a massive bioload.

The instructions at 4ppm nitrate are 2ml per 100 litres but remember that’s after displacement.

There’s nothing wrong but you might start to get bacterial blooms (cloudy water or slime) so I would maybe look to reduce that to around 10ml per day and then monitor and adjust it slowly as needed. You definitely don’t want 0 nitrate or you’ll risk cyno bacteria taking hold and until you get some livestock and start feeding your not going to have much nutrient input into the system and could well drive it very low.

NoPox is a very powerful tool and extremely effective and just needs careful balancing which you’ll soon get the hang of.

salty-zim

Hi Shaun,

the stirrers are the GHL brand, that makes the Profilux computers. You can connect the dosing pump to the stirrers and they also stirr multiple times per day. Very sophisticated but pricy. They also make the KH Director, which measures the kh and is able to adjust the dosing for my Alkalinity (RF B) autimatically.
Since I am away for business quite often, I wanted to automate as much as possible.

As for NoPox dosing, I am still following the mature program which says 3ml/100l for now. They say NoPox is important as food for denitrifying bacteria as long as there is no fish or corals in the tank.
That goes down with the switch to the Reef Foundation Program. I have another 4 days and than I will initially measure on Wednesday to be able to start reef foundation dosing on Saturday next week.

Last edited:

salty-zim

Hello Reefers,

it's been the third week I started my tank and I thought I might need some life behind the glass. Since I used the Coral Sea Life Rocks and the RS Mature Kit, I have seen the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate peaks, but there were almost no algae, whatsoever. The tank measurements are great but it all looked a bit ...
... dead, even though I could measure there is invisible life going on.
I thought it would be a good idea to discuss that with my LFS guy - and he is right. Where should those algae come from?
So yesterday I took the family and we paid the LFS a visit to buy an additional 10 kg of life rock and pick up the cleaning crew. Around 35 hermit crabs, 25 snails and sea star. I took the risk to take my family with me - so there were 3 coral fragments they picked. After a long discussion (I did not want a coral until I have seen those algae) and for the sake of peace at home, we picked:
Clavularia viridis
Pachyclavularia sp.
Tubipora musica
All three of them survived the 2 hour drive through the middle european heat and after a good night rest they showed their full beauty today. They should be robust enough and I hope they grow fast.

The hermits already fought over the additional real estate, took hold of the additional shells and showed some heavy movement. Some of them did not like the placement of the sand and startet shifting it around. Archimedes (the sea star) watched the whole scene from the view point of the tank.
We were watching ReefTV the whole evening.

One more comment on the tech-part: I exchanged the original Sicce Pump against the Royal Exclusive RD3 Speedy 80W. Unbelievably quiet now. No more humming. Ahhh.

After all - I lost against my patience this weekend. Must try harder [emoji4]

7003c6808019b6481b5d9764f0480112.jpg

3abd8ed05c156cdb70cd45b9feece9ac.jpg

e3b223b1e41b21a4dd1718f0af73e6c0.jpg

93b678f9057526d95b3c8906763dc043.jpg

Last edited: