zeovit in rsm?

alphasierra

I haven't heard of anyone using Zeovit in a RSM tank.

I certainly would not recommend it in the older RSM130 tanks as the skimmer is not efficient enough. You would also need to modify your stock lights.

Not sure about the 250 models though.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
alphasierra - post us a Reef in The Sky thread here in the RSM Club with a pic - remember your RSM roots :) Love your tank !

Sencha

Rossco, I am on day 24 running the basic 4 zeovit system. I put the zeolite and carbon in media bags. I modified Steve's T rack by cutting out the top rack and attaching a small pump on the very bottom rack and I have easy access to shake the bags twice a day. I'm in the process of having someone build a modified reactor to replace the media rack.

I must say I do see positive changes to my tank although I know this is going to be a very slow process.

Since I am new to salt water (1 year), I chose to go with zeovit mainly because I really needed to follow a system and I think Zeovit Tanks are beautiful.

Rossco46

thanx for that sencha, im just a little confused about what the basic zeovit system is, iv been reading up on it but cnt find a step by step guide, could i used the rocks in my canister filter?

Sencha

This is the link to the guide.

http://www.korallen-zucht.de/files/zeoguide_103_english-1.pdf

I'm sorry I don't know much about reactors as I am running the zeolit and carbon passively. The zeolits have to be stirred twice a day, so if this is possible in your cannister then I can't see a problem.

This was my zeovit start-up schedule for my 130 rsm
Zeovit 14 day dosing schedule.

200 ml zeovit rinsed and soaked in r/o water 24 hours
100 ml zeovit carbon/heated in close to boiling water (10 min) then let sit overnight before adding to tank.

1 drop of zeoback 1 x day
.04ml zeostart 2 x day / add near zeovit and stir the media
1 drop spongepower 1 x day
1 drop zeofood 1 x week

Rossco46

thanx for your help, im not going to try the zeovite system for definate yet, i am going to be moving house soon so its will depend on time and money, it looks like an expensive way to go.

1st thing i'd need to do is upgrade my skimmer, still running stock at the mo and it seems to have stopped doing much skimming.

thanx for the link also,

GregT

I've got an RSM250 and I initially sourced alot of secondhand rock whan I started up- subsequently I've found it's leaching po4 and I can't get rid of the GHA.

I noticed a link to the New Zealand/Australia agent ZEOvit.co.nz - Home and started a dialogue whereby he suggested I could use ZEOvit and ZEObak to suck the phosphates from my rock. (the basic 4 I couldn't afford right now) - I'm looking to build my own DIY po4 reactor to run these 2 products.
While I do this I've started dosing ZEOzym and ZEOstart2 to reduce the GHA I have, and will add Coral Snow in a few weeks.

I tried the VSV route but found it too confusing and didn't really notice much happening.

I like the fact that the ZEO products are so concentrated and it's actually cheaper than the Phosguard/Reef Trace and Reef Amino Vitamins I was using.

After 4 days I think my sand is looking whiter, the glass isn't 'algaeing' as quickly as it was, and my SPS, green bali slimer and Open Brain corals are looking better. None of my fish or corals look worse for wear including my softies.

I guess I've been floundering around not really knowing what regime of product to use and the ZEOvit range makes sense i.e. low nitrient.
cheers
Greg

GregT

Any updates?

Added ZEOvit rock and ZEObak to my routine. The ZEOvit I change out after 4 weeks.
Startup routine for a nutrient rich tank is Sundays and Wednesdays 0.4ml ZEOstart and 1/4 tsp ZEOzym
Daily 2 drops ZEObac

GHA seems to be slowly going from exposed rock surfaces - still thick in places but starting to break up. Finding the dosing regime very easy to follow. Corals look healthy. Possibly starting to loose the brown look on some of my sps frags.

GregT

Update on my Zeovit experience in my RSM250. (I'm going to copy and continue this post going forward in my tank thread (link below)

I've done a change out of the passive flow ZEOrock as I've got my canister filter going now (max flow 430L/hr), and replaced the initial ZEOrock with 0.5L ZEOrock into the canister yesterday. Also got the canister filter rigged to 3 hourly intervals (3 hours on, 3 hours off, 3 hours on, 3 hours off, etc.) leading to an alternating environment of aerobic and anaerobic conditions. Every switch leads to an increased aspiration of PO4 by the microorganisms/bacteria residing in the material I'm told and I'm noticing an increase in the stock skimmer performance coinciding with these cycles.

Dosing schedule:
Daily 2 drops ZEObac
Sundays 0.4ml ZEOstart, 1/4 tsp ZEOzym, 1 drop ZEOfood7
Wednesdays 0.4ml ZEOstart and 1/4 tsp ZEOzym, 1 drop ZEOfood7

I also skake my canister filter daily so the mulm by-product from the bacteria on my zeorock 'feeds' my corals.