Zapppppppped!!!

thedru13

Ok so have not been able to track down this issue and feel sort of stupid. So I am just restarting my tank.. I finally got it filled up today and fired up my pumps and heater for the first time today. Right now I just have the two stock RSM 250 pumps running and my Finnex heater. My Skimmer pump seized up so waiting for a replacement to come in.

So that brings me to my issue.. I feel like I am getting zapped. when I touch the water it feels like some sort of zap or current. Can't figure out where its comeing from. Anyone have any suggestions for tracking something like this down? Feels like even when i unplug things i still feel that zap..

Mandy11

Unplug all three things, I was told that if there is electric current in the tank it will stay there unitl it is removed.
So you need to get a grounding probe and removed the current that you still feel is present.
Then remove the grounding probe and switch on each of the 3 plugs one at a time and see which one again causes the current.
I may be wrong but this is advice I was given when we had a occosional Zap from our tank.
we used to keep a grounding probe in the tank on a permanent basis, no we have a new tank and its not happening. So we have removed it.
Hope this helps.
P.S you want a water grounding probe of course not standard probe lol

thedru13

Unplug all three things, I was told that if there is electric current in the tank it will stay there unitl it is removed.
So you need to get a grounding probe and removed the current that you still feel is present.
Then remove the grounding probe and switch on each of the 3 plugs one at a time and see which one again causes the current.
I may be wrong but this is advice I was given when we had a occosional Zap from our tank.
we used to keep a grounding probe in the tank on a permanent basis, no we have a new tank and its not happening. So we have removed it.
Hope this helps.
P.S you want a water grounding probe of course not standard probe lol

Thanks Mandy.. I have a grounding probe in the tank and still am getting a zap. So just tested the tank with a volt meter. While testing seemed like my fans might have been causing some issues. So I noticed one wasn't spinning. I am going to replace that fan and see if this resolves the issue. Will also check for any loose connections when I open the hood when replacing the fan. Feels like the current is coming from the hood..

Marty.h

This may sound silly but do you have any cuts on your hands or bite your nails as that causes skin damage and when you put your hand in it will feel like an electric shock.

thedru13

This may sound silly but do you have any cuts on your hands or bite your nails as that causes skin damage and when you put your hand in it will feel like an electric shock.

Funny you say that. I do. Thought that as well. Tested out in non cut up fingers as well. Who knows. lol. Will replace broken fan and see if it does anything. But the volt meter definitely showed current in the water.

Marty.h

I bite my nails and sometimes I put a hand in and it like sends a shock up my hand however take that hand out and put other in and nothing then swap back and another shock feeling.

A chap at my LFS gets it and he bites his nails I think you may find that's the issue.

May sound silly but are you able to say drop elbow into water in the sump as I bet you don't get a shock feeling then

DaveK

If you touch the water, provided you don't have a cut or scratch, and you feel a shock, you almost always have a serious electrical problem.

Disconnect everything and plug then back in one at a time until you locate the problem. Heaters power heads and pumps are the primary suspects. Over time, SW will tend to harden plastics and they will crack.

When you find the offending device, remove it from the system and replace it. Do not continue to use it. These problems are almost impossible to repair.

Ground probes are nice, but should not be depended on for protection.