Zanders S650

Zanders

Hello all.

I am new to this place, i was recommended to come here since its where all the red sea pros are hanging ;)
Ï ordered a white S650 and it will be delivered sometime in March (crazy backorder right now apparently) but it doesent matter since it will give me a lot of time to fix all the things around the tank.

I am going to try get a mixed reef build with some nice scape (coming from sweet water planted aquarium hobby) hopefully it will look nice if i can get my hands on some quality live rock.

I am however a bit concerned, i will have to put maybe half or atleast 10-20kg of my 50 kg of stones in the sump with some kind of lighting on it to balance ph during night and make sure i have the most live rock possible for my tank, i do however not like when its clogged or bulky with rocks in the display tank. Is the flow good enough in the left side area to put rocks there and will i still fit my bio pellet reactor there ? or is that setup stupid incase i get crap into the bio reactor from the stones lying around in the same pocket?

I dont know why but i somehow think the sump is poorly designed.

I also have a totally offtopic question but i thought id ask anyway, Nyos Goldpods, how long can you keep that outside a fridge? Can i auto dose it once per day for corals and fish?

Cheers, thanks for reading.

/Zanders

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

Sure some S series owners can give you some good advise...

Nob35

Hello and congrats on the new tank, it seems that there was a rush to get these tanks after New Years as everyone is having to wait. It is a great setup and worth the wait. We have many members with this tank, some are just using the stock setup and others are doing mods. My tank is probably one of the more modified tanks here as I have redid the sump, changed to LEDs, added a reactor, UV Sterilizer, neptune apex controller and changed out the skimmer.

The sump is not great to use as a refugium, this is why I redid mine and made it more like a standard sump/refugium. The left side get very little flow so if you put rocks there with nothing to correct the flow problem you will probably have to clean it often as I think you will end up with everything settling there. I was the first that I know of to redo the sump but there are a couple of people here that are planning to do it, you can look at this thread to get a idea of what others are doing, he is building a completely new sump but is modeled off of mine.
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...99-rsm-650-australia-new-tank-new-marine.html

Hope this helps and if you have any question just ask

Choff

Gratz on the tank and welcome!

It seems a few folks are modifying the sump. I myself am taking a different approach and relocating it to the basement and up sizing to a 125G.

The sump is well designed for a sump as that is what it is. If you want a fuge or chaeto chamber you probably have to do some tweaking.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Zanders

Gratz on the tank and welcome!

It seems a few folks are modifying the sump. I myself am taking a different approach and relocating it to the basement and up sizing to a 125G.

The sump is well designed for a sump as that is what it is. If you want a fuge or chaeto chamber you probably have to do some tweaking.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Im just not sure the size of the cabinet can actually hold a fuge to make it worth the effort and money, i just do not believe its big enough to even make a change on the system.

Done some thinking and i am going to go the old fashioned way and just put stones and a circulating pump in the bigger area if needed.
The more rock the easier it gets to keep parameters in check.

So basically a skimmer, bio reactor , ozone, balling light and let it do its thing for the first year and save my money for a led light system instead.

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
Hi and welcome to the club. Our club is a little bit special as you and I have the waiting club going on lol, mines due mid feb so that's like 3 weeks away and I like you are thinking how to improve the sump. Nob35 is clued up here, and joeireland has recently redesigned his I think so well worth checking their threads out mate. :)