Your Ideal tank

Paul B

If time and money was not a concern (but space still is) what would your Ideal tank look like and what would it have in it not counting livestock?
I myself am pretty happy with my set up and would only change a few things.
For instance my tank has had every type of lighting there is and now it has MH but I would like to install LEDs, I just need the time to build the fixture.
I would also like to raise my entire rockwork off the bottom and only have it touching in 3 or 4 places. It is close to that now but not quite.
I am thinking of building a "rock" like the one in the picture but make it like a sort of cage that would cover most of the tank with 3 or 4 pieces going into the gravel. The entire structure will rest on this so that you would be able tio see under the structure all the way to the back, which would be dark.
That is my plan, whats yours?
(this rock like many of my rocks is hollow PVC covered in cement, this is during construction and after a few years in the tank)
Rock.jpg

PIMPALA

I'd build a 2000ish gallon peninsula, at eye level. around 9-10ft long, using natural sunlight as the main source, and LEDs for actenics/supplemental lighting. Livestock would be too many to list. lol

PIMPALA

If time and money was not a concern (but space still is) what would your Ideal tank look like and what would it have in it not counting livestock?
I myself am pretty happy with my set up and would only change a few things.
For instance my tank has had every type of lighting there is and now it has MH but I would like to install LEDs, I just need the time to build the fixture.
I would also like to raise my entire rockwork off the bottom and only have it touching in 3 or 4 places. It is close to that now but not quite.
I am thinking of building a "rock" like the one in the picture but make it like a sort of cage that would cover most of the tank with 3 or 4 pieces going into the gravel. The entire structure will rest on this so that you would be able tio see under the structure all the way to the back, which would be dark.
That is my plan, whats yours?
(this rock like many of my rocks is hollow PVC covered in cement, this is during construction and after a few years in the tank)

Yes we all would, but thats why I said the size stays the same as what you have :ponder2:

you did? where? I saw "If time and money was not a concern (but space still is) what would your Ideal tank look like and what would it have in it not counting livestock?" Time and money not being an issue, I have the space for a 2k gallon tank. Its not that big. lol

Paul B

You are correct, I should have worded that better. I meant if you did not have any more space than you do now. There have been threads like that and of course everyone, including me wants a huge tank with manta rays in it. But I figured if you didn't have more space but you had the time and money, what would you do differently in the space you have.

PIMPALA

lol. gotcha.

ok, so now I'm thinking I would have a 6' long 180-200 instead of this 4' long tank and have it more shallow. 30" to the bottom of the tank SUCKS! Other than that, I love all of my tanks, and only want to add a few things. I love my rockwork, but wish I had more room for a larger couple of zoa gardens on the sand, and I wish I had never got this damn sugar sized sand. its terrible. absolutely terrible.

want to add a couple of fish to my 150, and some more to the fuge, but im gonna wait awhile.

Reddog170

For me, right now that tank I have is perfect for me. I have been doing this for a couple years but I learned the way most do. I spent the first 6 months learning the basics and making big mistakes. The next 6 months just having fun with it. Then the next few months learning a bit more about coral care and now am looking into more about water. So for me I would not change much. I will just keep leaning what I can and advancing my knowledge. When I am ready for a large system it will come. Shaun

GlassMunky

My perfect tank would be a large self cleaning one that changed it's own water too :)

I've seen threads online with people who do have tanks that change their own water. all the RO water and salt mixes in a seperate container. theres then 2 pumps, one that pumps out all the old tank water, and another that pumps the newly mixed SW into the sump. All controlled remotley too.:hammerhea :hammerhea That'd be nice for sure.....

For me, honestly i'm not sure my "Dream" tank, having only been in the hobby about a year, i know i still have ALOT to learn and improve on. Probably just a bigger tank (only have a 29G and 14G that are reef), like the 125 thats just sitting in my garage.........:spinner:

burning2nd

48x48x 16" deep square in the middle of the room.. lights hung from the ceiling overflow and return centered in the square.. with 360" rock work around it... pumps in the 4 corrners..

8 doors ( 4 sets of 2) on each side... under the stand... about my armpit hight

tank pumped thur the floor to the bassment with another 500g lagoon setup.. that would be lit but a 400watt hanging sungrow systems fixture

internal sump. internal heaters, full Pc integration (rk elite with Ethernet) \

control room down stairs power thur the floor.. septate braker... rodi down there to... with ato...

thats about it...

magnetar68

How apropos, I have been thinking about this a lot lately. My first tank is going on 1 year. I have a Red Sea MAX 130D and it's a nice little tank. That's the main issue, however, it's "little." Every time I look at my tank, I think, "that tank needs to be twice as big and twice as quiet." Actually, the tank is not that loud, but I think that anyway.

I am going to start a thread to get some feedback about my next tank, but here is the general idea:

• 48"x24"x24" (~120g)
  • Rimless
  • Back glass is black
  • Minimalist "airy/open" rock work (think lot's of sand and "suspended" long rock arms extending from a central column)
  • 100% aquacultured/marinecultured livestock (we'll see of I can do this)
  • Sapphire low-iron on the front and sides (if I can afford it)
  • Coast to Coast (~40" long), toothless overflow that drops into an external overflow box mounted to the back of the tank
  • BeanAnimal Fail Safe (modified Herbie) Overflow
  • Custom made sump with refugium (silent design)
  • DIY 3W LED lighting, 48", passive cooling (no fan noise), hanging from the ceiling.

I wish I had a basement in which to put the sump and associated noise making mechanisms, but I don't. With this setup there will be three primary sources or noise: chiller, return pump, and protein skimmer. I have been told this overflow design is really really quiet. The chiller should only go on in the hottest days of the summer, so I can live with that. Hopefully, good choices on the return pump and skimmer will yield a very quiet tank.

Anyway, that is my "ideal" tank (at this time in my journey).